Current status of the F86 Sabre

jopasaps

Hi guys, I'm thinking about acquiring this module with the Mig 15 to recreate the Korean War era, and because Spain was a large holder of this great F86 Sabre. It cost me that we had 270 aircraft in 5 squadrons.

Are both modules playable in DCS 2.5? I refer to the current state of bugs. Thanks in advance

Edited by jopasaps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Vista, Suerte y al TORO !!

Yes, they are in good shape and there are no game breaking bugs.

The only annoying thing is the problem with cockpit shadows that affects most of the old DCS fleet.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Yes, they are in good shape and there are no game breaking bugs.

The only annoying thing is the problem with cockpit shadows that affects most of the old DCS fleet.

Thanks @some1 for your help !!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also get the Museum Relic Campaign, as it’s only us$5 and fits both planes :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Bought it yesterday and flew around a bit with it. Its actually quite easy to fly with. A perfect aircraft for newcomers to DCS world and high-fidelity modules. The only thing that needs is that extra love with the new graphics upgrade.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

Bought the f86 and the mig 15 together with the Museum Relic campaign. Both planes are incredible to fly. At low altitude I see the F86 higher, but at high altitude the Mig 15 always surpasses me in climbing. The only thing I can not recreate is the interception of the UFO in Spain long time ago !!. :pilotfly:

Edited by jopasaps

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

As stated above it's an excellent plane, even for a pure groundpounder such as myself. The only problem I've had was an occasional system freeze and sometimes BSOD with it and some other modules, but even that seems to have gone away after switching off my NVidia overclocks. So get it, it's a real 50s hotrod and a ton of fun to operate! It still makes my hair stand on end when I'm screaming down the runway at full power... :D

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

at high altitude the Mig 15 always surpasses me in climbing

But isn't that realistic? I remember reading somewhere that the 15 outclimbed the Sabre high up...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

But isn't that realistic? I remember reading somewhere that the 15 outclimbed the Sabre high up...

To an extent yes, but in DCS the discrepancy shouldn't be too too large. That claim comes from the fights over Korea when you (mostly) had the -A and -E against the regular Mig-15, so a comparison between our -F-35 (with ~30% extra thrust compared to the A/E) and a -15bis (with ~15% extra thrust compared to the regular -15) isn't as straightforward. Plus, the Mig could be an AI and that thing basically climbs like a Hornet.

Edited by TLTeo

• 1 month later...

But we paid for SFM. It's wrong, and not too difficult to correct. The MiG's climbing prowess is historical, but also not that difficult to adjust for reality's sake. Some members describe it as "flying in space" where its energy is way too high, as if gravity was not in the equation, or drag and whatnot. The SFM matrix is not hard to fix. In fact, the MiG's thick wing which made it great at climbing, made it suck at rolling and going fast. These facts are NOT optimized in the sim which again comes down to decisions and priorities. They can be fixed. I will post some of my SFM edits later. Also g limit and max bank angle can also be edited for ai. When people say "stop comparing to ai and fly online" I say bull. I paid for ai and not fixing it is a cop out. If needed, I will fix it and you can pay me for the pleasure ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

... They can be fixed. I will post some of my SFM edits later. Also g limit and max bank angle can also be edited for ai. ...

Please do share those edits, I´d love to fly the F-86 and MiG-15 with a higher fidelity flight model.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Try these to start. It's a little aggressive but you will only see slight changes in game because of the uber space dynamics of the MiG's energy and climb. In the .lua find and change to:

Mach_max = 0.92, -- Max speed in Mach (for AI)

Ny_min = -1, -- Min G (for AI)

Ny_max = 5.0, -- Max G (for AI)

Ny_max_e = 5.0, -- ?? Max G (for AI)

AOA_take_off = 0.17, -- AoA in take off radians (for AI)

bank_angle_max = 80, -- Max bank angle (for AI)

g_suit = 0.02,

And the most important... especially the lower speed/mach number entries for Ai's energy fighting style. see screenie.

Make changes to items in the yellow box. This is low speed pitch and roll effectiveness which I wanted to reduce. I made my edits below Mach 0.5 which should be about 300 knots or less. the Ai likes to Sputnik around stall so this will make them regret it a bit more.

Try this and also edit your M2 shells in the weapons/ shell.lua to have somewhere between 875 to 899 m/s for better ballistics and longer range.

Cheers! "No guts, no glory!" ;)

1521429435_Mig-15Aeroedits.thumb.png.2d52d7df32f4b3a023f0a25b74baa13a.png

Edited by Squiffy

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Also check orange boxes for pitch agility and drag brakes. I think I edited these too.

2105308292_Mig-15Aeroedits2.thumb.png.77675da91f1e6598d1082cdbbddd39d8.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for sharing, I will give it a try when I have enough time to test them properly.

Sure! Actually, the g limit may be the easiest way to adjust the dogfight challenge any further than the "average" setting in game. I adjusted the low speed stuff because of the AI energy fighting style. It may be even more accurate and supportable to edit the higher speed stuff because that's where the Sabre excelled. The fat wing on the MiG is really something when you see it up close in real life. Also the wing fences. Those things added drag too so it was not an elegant solution. It's like looking at a Hurricane wing versus a Spitfire. Trying to push that through the air becomes a problem at high speed.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]