Larger, blurry HUD and DDI fonts

Bullant

So I have noticed that my fonts on the HUD and DDI are larger and blurrier than everyone else.

Attached is a screenshot of what I have and what I expected (first image is mine, second is stolen from someone else).

Any ideas?

bad.thumb.png.0a829937088c75519b2b0bc06f2c0c1c.png

good.thumb.jpg.d69a009cf280168b9d9537ff2d6eb321.jpg

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

same here, thick somewhat ugly HUD font

possibly because of screen resolution,

I run 4 monitors in T 5760x2160 and maybe DCS just picked another font for that

bad choice

(Wishlist?)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

[ALREADY REPORTED] HUD looks out of place, lines and fonts way too thick

I hope there will be an update to the HUD display. Everything else looks beautiful but the HUD elements are a bit too thick and looks out of place. It needs to be thinner and sharper.

If this isn't going to be updated, is there a way the user or community can mod this ourselves, if so where are the files located so we can make the changes?

There was a user in the mod community that did a real excellent job redoing the HUD's for the planes in DCS. I believe it was CODENAME_DH96. Hoping he can do the same for the F18C.

+1000

I thought I was the only one who thought the HUD was a thick, blurry mess. I am running at 4K and also have the exact same problem.

How to fix this? The picture on the right with the thin lines and smaller fonts look much more realistic and better. The HUD now doesn't look cohesive with the rest of the cockpit making it stand out like a sore thumb. Cockpit is amazingly beautiful while the HUD looks awful in comparison. I hope there will be a fix for this soon.

If we can make the HUD look like the ones modded by CODENAME_DH96 it would be awesome. You guys can check screenshots of his mod here - https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/2627862/

Here's an actual HUD of the real F18C. It should look similar to this. It needs to be smaller, thinner, sharper and with a subtle glow effect around the edges.

aircrafts-military-cockpit-hud-planes-f18-hornet-1680x1050-wallpaper-521909.jpg

Edited by maverick90

Well, I’m in my mid-50’s and I like it! -))

Alienware Area 51 R5 - Intel i9 7980XE (4.7 GHz), 32GB Dual Channel HyperX DDR4 XMP, Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Graphics 11GB GDDR5X SLI, 4.5 TB combo of SSDs/HDDs, Alienware 1500 Watt Multi-GPU Power Supply, Alienware 25” 240Hz Gaming Monitor, Alienware Pro Gaming Keyboard, TM HOTAS, TM Cougar F-16C MFDs, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, TrackIR5, Win10 Pro x64

+1000

Here's an actual HUD of the real F18C. It should look similar to this. It needs to be smaller, thinner, sharper and with a subtle glow effect around the edges.

Don't forget that pictures don't reflect how it actually looks like to the naked eye. If they did then the HUD would disappear and re-update every few seconds, like you can see in most videos due to refresh rate mismatch between the camera & hud.

Edit: Take a look at this, & notice how the HUD is so bright that it's almost white, definitely due to camera exposure or similar:

Edited by SCU

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Don't forget that pictures don't reflect how it actually looks like to the naked eye. If they did then the HUD would disappear and re-update every few seconds, like you can see in most videos.

Edit: Take a look at this, & notice how the HUD is so bright that it's almost white, definitely due to camera exposure or similar:

The naked I will do a lot better job than the footage in this link

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I'm aware of that already, but in its current state, i think it can be improved and made a bit more realistic. It just doesn't look real at all to me, while the rest of the cockpit looks amazing.

Sure, blurriness needs to be toned down a bit/clarity increased, but shouldn't ask for changes based on exaggerated RL pictures of the HUD, due to cameras' inherent imperfection. The OP's picture on the right seems to just have lower brightness for HUD (using the brightness knob on the UFC), nothing fancy. I personally lower the brightness a bit first thing when i'm in the jet.

Barring camera over exposure, those two pictures from the game & RL look almost identical to me.. Just need to reduce lines/text thickness ever so slightly.

attachment.php?attachmentid=185944&d=1527783683

aircrafts-military-cockpit-hud-planes-f18-hornet-1680x1050-wallpaper-521909.jpg

A bit more info.

My graphics settings:

YgzS0TJ.png

Tried turning down the brightness. The fonts are still too large and blurry and even harder to read:

Wng5HZG.png

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Don't forget that pictures don't reflect how it actually looks like to the naked eye.

Please just look at the two pictures from the original post. The first one (his and others) - bad. The second one - good.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Please just look at the two pictures from the original post. The first one (his and others) - bad. The second one - good.

Thanks, and that was exactly why I compared it to another screenshot rather than a photo of a real HUD.

It appears the devs have acknowledged that this is a bug, so hopefully there will be a fix soon-ish because it is horrible flying with it as it is now.

Exactly, 2nd pic looks better and more realistic.

You do realise that the second image is just lower brightness setting for the HUD right?

I already admited that the HUD needs to be slightly reduced for thickness and reduce any blurriness present, but the glowy stuff I don't think would be too realistic..

Edited by SCU

You do realise that the second image is just lower brightness setting for the HUD right?

And I will say again that you are wrong. They are miles apart, as my screenshots show.

Have a look just up above and you will see a shot of mine with the brightness turned down. It is still terrible.

Thankfully for myself and the others affected by this, the devs agree with me.

DCS F/A-18C Ultrawide graphic issue

Hi there.

I have a 34" 3440x1440 21:9 monitor that I have really enjoyed using in DCS. Until now.

My settings are more or less as high as they go, besides some not important ones, civ traffic, motion blur etc. My AR is set manually to 2.3333333.

Parts of the cockpit in the F/A-18C are blurry, HUD text and DDI text are almost unreadable unless I zoom really far in, which is not really a workable solution imo.

I don't have this issue with the A-10C which is my daily driver. The cockpit is of course dated and not perfect but with cockpit resolution of 1024 all text on both HUD and MFCDs is crisp and readable.

If I select a lower AR resolution like 1920x1080 and 16:9 the HUD and DDI text is crisp again.

So any ideas on how to fix this or is this something I just have to live with which I really can't. It's horrible :(

Here are a few screenshots. It's not a 100% representation because some compression but hope I explains a little bit. It's not so clear on the HUD in the pictures but the DDIs in the Hornet and the MFCDs in the Hog is showing what I am struggling with. Also the F-15s MFDs are crisp and readable.

https://ibb.co/iCUcxd

https://ibb.co/hktWOJ

https://ibb.co/mspo3J

Also if you look at this video by one of the Reapers, you'll see his HUD and DDIs are very readable (I am guessing he is running in 1920x1080) and do not look like my screens at all and this is with YT compression. Those images I provided are 99% what I see when I'm in game

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3 - Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4Ghz @ 4.7Ghz

Corsair 16Gb RAM - Nvidia 1080TI

Samsung 830 512Gb SSD x 2 for 1Tb - Acer Predator 34" 3440x1440 Monitor