Oculus Rift S With DCS World Discussion

Wags

I wonder how many headsets this thread alone has sold :D Mine comes in tomorrow. Thankfully my new job allows me to work from home so I'll be here to get it.

I could imagine how much you will "work" when Rift S is next to you teazing, "take me, take me".

Work?! :pilotfly:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wormeaten. Tell me exactly what ya want and I'll do it for you

Great! Thanks, man.

Need two major points as an example:

1. instruments readability and picture clarity true lens
  2. Enemy/target spotting in distance true lens

I know it is impossible to put on video what is someones exact impressions in VR but such video gives you much more information than that just what it is capturing true gameplay by your computer.

We need something like that to compare with similar videos of different HMD's to get a better preview of how good it is.

Any quality will be good, even with your smartphone but if you got a proper camera with optical zoom will be appreciated.

Focus on the sweet spot and zoom in with optical zoom to the level where on your camera displays showing neer to the what you see when you a using it.

FOV here is irrelevant and that way probably a huge chunk of it will be out of the picture after zoom but we need just to get pictures of the clarity and readability.

Sorry m8, maybe I'm demanding too much. Don't bother if you can't do it that way, this is just the best possible solution for those who can't separate video quality from what it is representing. Personally I will be happy even with simple smartphone capture but in that case, do not take any attention to complaints from some people who actually don't know what to look for in that video. Just warning you in advance based on my experience in the past. But such video will provide much more information than any other to dose who knows what to look for.

Thanks again Cap'n Penguin.

Edited by wormeaten

Here is my experience with Rift S:

Clarity: Much better than Rift. I can now see high resolution details in textures in cockpit and outside. I can see far objects with much better definition. Red and Blue resolution indeed got a boost of x1.7 as I have predicted (mostly due to new subpixel config)

Sweet spot: Having a IPD of 70 mm, there is a sweet spot for the headset on my face to give me perfect clarity for frontal vision. But the size of it is absolutely zero! If I move the headset 1 mm to the left or right, I loose it. This means that I have to constantly adjust the headset to have clear vision. Looking to the sides, I always have blur in one eye or the other (depending on where the headset is on my face).

FOV: I took a huge beating on this one! In the original rift, I had my HW IPD setting all the way to 72 mm, which gave me a huge improvement in FOV since lenses are far apart. Now my FOV is 10-20 degrees less than original Rift (just because I have a very large IPD).

Audio: As I have expected, the audio quality in Rift S sucks. In addition, everyone else at home has to listen to me playing games, so there is no privacy whatsoever. The only good thing is since there is nothing touching my ear, sounds feel more natural and realistic.

Performance: Virtually the same with Rift.

I would prefer clarity over FOV in a game like DCS. So, if I can get used to the sweet spot issue (it takes a while to find quick solutions sometimes), I will call this a good upgrade with some small caveats.

It certainly has been a bit disappointing today hearing from a number of people that the display is not the best it can with people 68+mm IPD..

Having said that, some seem to be more tolerant of it than others. Just a few days and I can try it myself. Fingers crossed

Now I've got an IPD of 64-65mm, so couldn't be better tuned for me.

And the entire lens is practically in focus.

The resolution and clarity is honestly twice as good as the pimax even.

Only tested briefly in dcs but I could spot ground units from about 4-5 miles out with this the cv1 you could take a guess at around 2 miles.

Audio well it's poor.

But no need to rush and buy earplugs I can get my logitech cans over this no problem.

In fact it fits a little better than the cv1.

The halo strap sits above the cups on this, where the cv1 straps would pass through, and loosening my seal.

Pass through is great, especially for finding your cans after donning the HMD.

;)

So far Oculus here has a device that beats the pimax on everything apart from FOV.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

My headset visuals have just started crashing to grey DCS keeps running and it is tracking but I lose video feed in the headset. I was getting very occasional white flashes on the screen now my headset is disconnecting from the display port.

Reset it all different port anyone else seeing this.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I've seen those white flashes occasionally as well, I've also had complete crashes of the tracking cameras which I noticed by entering passthrough and only seeing "static".

I'll reinstall the Oculus software and drivers completely, also switch DP on my graphics card.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It certainly has been a bit disappointing today hearing from a number of people that the display is not the best it can with people 68+mm IPD..

Having said that, some seem to be more tolerant of it than others. Just a few days and I can try it myself. Fingers crossed

73mm here :)

Perfect for me! ;)

I'm flying since 1988 (Flight Simulator 3.0) :pilotfly:

Coming from TrackIr this is extremely immersive and very cool but unfortunately left me with really nasty motion sickness and headache. lol... I tried to give it another go later on in evening and the same thing happened.

Unfortunately its not for everybody. I'll be returning it and sticking with my TrackIr.

73mm here :)

Perfect for me! ;)

Glad to hear that, I am 68mm and was concerned.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Coming from TrackIr this is extremely immersive and very cool but unfortunately left me with really nasty motion sickness and headache. lol... I tried to give it another go later on in evening and the same thing happened.

Unfortunately its not for everybody. I'll be returning it and sticking with my TrackIr.

It takes time...

Somme people need weeks of flying a 10 min routte to get used to it.. i was getting sick a bit to, but now i can doe the worst loops en look behind me when doing and still have no problems.

Its all about training your brain that your body isnt moving.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J510FN met Tapatalk

Don't do that!

It took me a few days with short sessions before getting used to the CV1. Now I can fly hours without any issue except an angry wife :)

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S

I have found DCS the hardest thing in my rift library to get used to as far as motion sickness..

Do some other things as well and throw in some DCS but dont do it to the point you already feel sick, thats too late. A little at a time.

Other games/sims I can leave for a long time, weeks/months, come back and I am fine but for some reason in DCS I have to build up to it again..

So, as others have said, dont quit!

It was exactly the same experience for me.

It was truly uncomfortable.

I hope you set the IPD to your eye. I know the Rift S do not have physical IPD adjustment but you can set the software adjustment.

My first experience with the odyssey + immersive too I am trying to put up with the initial discomforts. . I adjusted dcs ipd and that of the odyssey close to my ipd and seems to gotten better.

Now I am trying deal with the disturbing feeling in my head when I do a turn. Perhaps the before 30 fps could be causing that. The feeling is quite unsettling. Only happens when I do a turn.

I have also read that you will get used to it. So I would advice you tweak a little bit before returning.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Wow, tried yesterday my new Rift S. The resolution and clarity it's great, it make me said "Wow" again, and i don't say that from the first time I used the CV1. I'm also falled in love with the halo. It's very confortable to me. Audio is not too good but better then I expected from review.

Also, the new resolution seems to have a great impact for people that suffer motion sickness.

My wife for example with the old CV1 can't even play beat saber without feel sick.

Now, with the S she say that it's gone and steal the rift to enjoy beat saber for 4 hours LOL

Won't anyone try a through the lens picture of the hornet cockpit? or some footage?

What for? It won't look anything like what you actually see in the headset.

Tyriel did some through the lenses videos so you can compare with other headsets in similar conditions. But that's still not exactly what you see with the helmet on your head.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Beware guys that many people report some occasional flicker of static that lasts a fraction of a second. Not very frequent, but there can be some software or hardware gremlin in the first batch of devices:

Oculus page says they are working on some software improvements concerning this: https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

@ BaronVonDoon; yes that sounds like the same thing and also only in dcs, that makes me feel better. Just wasn’t sure as I had not seen it before in my cv1 and I don’t have the best luck with electronic goods. Thanks for the reply :)

Turns out the occasional flickering is happening in all games, and looking through Reddit, is the most common complaint so far. Try this as a fix..

If you’re seeing snow, static, or a similar visual disturbance in your Rift S headset, try these troubleshooting tips:

Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:

Unplug the USB cable from your computer..

Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.

First re-plug your USB cable into your computer.

Wait 5 seconds, or until the light on your headset comes on.

Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.

Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:

Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.

Unplug the cable from the headset.

Wait 5 seconds.

Insert the cable back into your headset.

Insert the facial interface back into your headset.

Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:

Open the Oculus app on your computer.

Click Settings on the left side of the app.

Click Beta at the top of the settings options.

Click Restart Oculus.

Edit: didn't notice the post above :D

Edited by BaronVonDoon

Won't anyone try a through the lens picture of the hornet cockpit? or some footage?

Please... please... :)

It's not simple and don't give the real feel of it. From youtube video I expect a little improvement on CV1 but using it, it's seems a huge step ahead. I can't even imagine how better can be the reverb or the index

are the earphones removable like those on the CV1?

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Don´t rush it :thumbup:

I hardly manage to end my very first Dirt Rally session without puking. It lasted 30 seconds, then head to my bed to lay down for a few hours :cry:

However, I could drive Assetto Corsa all day long with no problems.

Same for DCS, no sickness at all.

So give your body some time to adapt, you most likely will get there.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

are the earphones removable like those on the CV1?
No. They're embedded into the halo, just above ears. But there's a jack to connect any other earplugs.

Intel Core i7 6700K@4.7GHz, Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark1, 16Gb Kingston DDR4 2800MHz, Asus Geforce GTX1080, SSD Sandisk Extreme Pro 250Gb, Seagate 2Tb, TM Hotas Warthog, Ch Pro Pedals, TrackIr 4, Oculus Rift CV1 & Rift S