How do I raise landing gear?

Shotgun Dexter

When taking off from carrier, I cant retract landing gear. My devices cant operate gear or flaps at all. I have them binded with Warthog Hotas, same bindings I use on other modules. Anyone else have, or have heard of similar issues. Im thinking of deleting all F18 files and letting it re install.

I have noticed that you have to first move one of gear/flaps before those bindings work - I'm not sure why. If I just do a hot start for example and take off, then I can't raise gear/flaps until I flick the physical switch myself first - after that the bindings work. If I do a cold start and move my flaps to half myself, then it seems to work fine.

So perhaps try cycling the flaps switch before you take off and see if that fixes your issue.

When taking off from carrier, I cant retract landing gear. My devices cant operate gear or flaps at all. I have them binded with Warthog Hotas, same bindings I use on other modules. Anyone else have, or have heard of similar issues. Im thinking of deleting all F18 files and letting it re install.

First of all. Make sure that you don't have any axis, switches or buttons that are programmed to 2 or more functions

On your HOTAS Warthog throttle, program the UP flap position (on your physical throttle) to Flap Switch - AUTO/HALF in the sim. Program the DN position to Flap Switch - FULL/HALF in the sim. If you do this the 3 position flap switch on your throttle will work exactly as the 3 position switch in the jet. As for your landing gear, you can program any one of the 3 push buttons on your throttle to toggle the "G" key in the sim, or you can program the ENG OPER switches on your throttle where the forward position is for Landing Gear Control Handle Up and the down position to Landing Gear Control Handle Down. This is how I set mine up. One controls the landing gear and the other switch controls the tail hook. In the sim, any action that has "special for joystick" listed in the category box to the right of it will read any 1 position switch as 2 functions (like on/off or extend/retract). If it does not say "special for joystick" in the category box then you will need a 2 position switch to program that feature. I set my autopilot 3 position switch on my throttle where the up position is Wing Fold Control Handle - Fold/Hold and the rear position of the switch to be Wing Fold Control Handle - Spread/Hold. I programmed my autopilot engage/disengage button on the throttle to Wing Fold Control Handle - PULL/STOW so now when I want to fold/unfold my wings, I can simply hit the button to lock or unlock the wings and flip the switch switch to fold or unfold my wings instead of using the mouse inside the cockpit. The APU switch on your throttle can also be programmed to APU Control Sw (special) - ON/OFF in the sim and it will work properly.

Just remember that when you first launch the sim and get into the pit, you may need to cycle one or more of these just to get the sim to get them to work properly. The same way you have to cycle your throttles to get the sim to match the same position as your actual throttle.

Edited by Layzie

Most importantly, remember that the Hornet is still Early Access and very much a work in progress...

It's been mentioned by Nine Line and others that bindings may get broken by updates. It's possible you lost the bindings you think you have. Double check them all...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Yes, i always have to clear double bindings. Rudder pedals, stick and throttle are always all trying to do same functions. I had same issue, on another computer, with different controls. New computer, new controls, same issue. Other aircraft work, but F18 off of carrier, gear and flaps dont move.

i have seen this issue over many modules, sometimes binding works, sometimes it doesn't, the key to it is to just keep trying or to work out what button you're trying to press and choose that button from the drop-down

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Launch bar retracted ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Launch bar switch should be in Retract position before take.off, after connecting to the catapult.

PC: i9-10850K ~5.2GHz / Asus Rog Strix H490 Gaming, Asus GTX1080 Rog Strix Gaming OC, HyperX Fury RGB 32Gb RAM 3200MHz, SSD 512Gb, HDD 1Tb, Windows 10 x64. 2 x Samsung Curved 32" 

VirpilControls software engineer

What does it have to do with not being able to raise the landing gear and flaps?

Unretracted launch bar will preclude gear up , FCS will auto flaps in low speed regime (gear down) .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Launch bar retracts automatically as soon as you leave the deck. If for some reason the launch bar is still extended, but the system doesn't feel any weight on all three landing gear, only main gear will be retracted and nose gear will stay out. If he doesn't have random system failures and it's not scripted in the mission editor, then the launch bar should retract and gear should go up as soon as the handle goes up.

"Launch bar switch should be in Retract position before take.off, after connecting to the catapult." causing it to retract "automatically" or is the cycle truly automated ? BTW , loved "Jetstream" . :)

The other thing you may want to check just to be sure - make sure you're programming your controls for the Sim version, not simplified. There's two different control schemes - I did that with my A-10 when I first bought it years ago!

Cheers!

I am reffering to DCS most of the time. NORMALLY we should indeed put the launch bar switch in the RETRACT position once connected to the catapult, BUT in DCS you can take off with the switch down and it will switch up itself once off the deck. As a result you should be able to retract your gear.

I also have an issue I have caused. When I deleted everything associated with F18...thinking I would be able to redownload...I screwed the pooch. Now i get the symbol on module icon, that appears to be indication of something to download...but it cant be clicked on. Maybe now I need to make an F18 folder somewhere. Ive got 9 more days on hitch till I go home. My computer will jave sat powered off for 16 days....maybe it will autodownload??? Maybe.