Improved stability and dedicated server - Discussion - Page 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #81
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
No, mechanical HDs
SSD drives make a huge difference, I have installs on both, the difference in loading SP and MP are pretty big.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #82
Beamscanner

One of the issues with loading into MP missions is that the game has issues "finding" files. I know this as I've checked my log immediately afterward. It'll struggle to find certain files which will cause the program to hang. If it hangs too long in MP, the game will freeze or crash. Putting the game on 2 SSDs in raid 0 "fixed" my problem by giving the game greater speed to locate the files it struggles to find (so that it doesn't hang as long), but this shouldn't be the solution. game badly needs to optimized.
Beamscanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #83
Wags
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudknocker View Post
The fact that I could play and record us flying and having a good time while in this very remote area completely shocked me. This experience has led me to believe that a lot of players are trying to connect to public servers which are way over crowded with clients and objects. As well as players maybe not having machines that are up to spec for the heavy load of DCS multiplayer (of course who can blame them computer components are EXPENSIVE!)

We have had our fair share of issues as well such as ice skating on the carrier deck and some lagginess which we believe was due to a large complicated mission on a server without enough RAM.
While our netcode certainly needs improvement, and the addition of dedicated server will certainly will help, this is also a big factor we believe (NOT the only one though).

Thanks,
Matt

i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10, 1TB SSD, TM Hornet stick and Warthog throttle, and Track IR 5 with default settings.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:11 PM   #84
Silver_Dragon
ED Translator

Send a message via MSN to Silver_Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineLine View Post
SSD drives make a huge difference, I have installs on both, the difference in loading SP and MP are pretty big.
I need a "donation"

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=104115
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Spanish 4Th Perrus Squadon Member: http://www.4thperrus.com
Silver_Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #85
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Dragon View Post
I need a "donation"
Ha, I wish I could help you out bud.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #86
Tippis

Quote:
I am sure maybe in some cases, but I think Grimes was more talking about mission breaking events, but maybe I read it wrong.
It's both. Changes in behaviour break triggers and timings and alter how units react to scripting, which causes its own set of issues from one day to the next (ask anyone who has tried to build a mission, be it in MP or SP using troup transportation), but some changes will significantly alter how those behaviours are being processed.

AI is an immense resource hog, which is hardly a surprise, but that means that anything that alters where when and how that processing happens can also break missions — in particular in an MP settings — in a way that can actually cause more problems than just being outright broken.

If it's broken, you can change the methodology by using different triggers, spawns, unit/AI activations and so on to replicate some outcome that should have happened automatically had that now-broken scripting or trigger logic worked as it should. If it processes differently, you're just screwed because there is no way around that. The mission may still work… of sorts, but be rendered completely unplayable without a complete rebuild because there is no clean way of creating the effect you want without the new processing murdering the server CPU.

Eg. a change that makes AI units more aggressive in how they deploy certain weapons will suddenly mean that a well balanced mission is not just no longer balanced, because it was tweaked for a different behaviour, but also that it becomes almost unplayable because all AI units go macross-mad with missile spam (probably the worst thing in terms of creating server load per unit deployed). Of the two, the rebalancing is a pain, but still by far the easier bit to rebuild and cope with as, but the CPU-eating behaviour does not go away.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 PM   #87
Acidictadpole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudknocker View Post

As for stability I have had very few issues with that and that has SHOCKED me because for the last few months I have been playing DCS Multiplayer in probably one of the most remote places DCS has been played in... a Tiny island in the Caribbean with less than 200 people on it at any one time called Little Cayman. The internet here is horrendous and yet I can still play DCS multiplayer with no issues or problems over a wifi connection, both as a client and as a host, especially in the small private servers that we put up in the multiplayer group r/WingmanFinder.

The fact that I could play and record us flying and having a good time while in this very remote area completely shocked me. This experience has led me to believe that a lot of players are trying to connect to public servers which are way over crowded with clients and objects. As well as players maybe not having machines that are up to spec for the heavy load of DCS multiplayer (of course who can blame them computer components are EXPENSIVE!)
This is pretty good information though. It means that your "horrendous" internet still being able to host multiplayer means that it's unlikely network problems but rather simulation problems (either introduced by the mission maker or inefficiencies in the game code).

I'm interested though.. How many people were you hosting? After about 10-15 people the upload required starts getting pretty unreasonable for average personal home internet, and starts getting into business / hardcore upload speeds. So having some numbers on the horrendous internet would be useful!

But yeah good info. I've been able to run missions like On Station and whatnot from my house, and these typically last a few hours (I guess that's what you meant by large?), but anything more persistent and things start getting iffy.
Acidictadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 PM   #88
Spudknocker

Quote:
And thanks Spud, I enjoy your content as well. Keep it up!
Thanks for the support NineLine! My videos of the very causal group of guys having a blast together has definitely brought new people into the multiplayer fray and the way we have set things up people have reported very few issues even with systems that are not tippy-top of the line in terms of hardware.

If you ever want to join us for a flight check the Wingmanfinder discord we usually play friday and saturday night!

Gigabyte GTX 1080+i7-7700K w/ 32GB RAM and Logitech X-56

AV-8B? CHECK! F/A-18C? Check!

Patiently waiting for F-15E Strike Eagle from RAZBAM and F-14B Tomcat from Heatblur!
Spudknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:44 PM   #89
Spudknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidictadpole View Post
This is pretty good information though. It means that your "horrendous" internet still being able to host multiplayer means that it's unlikely network problems but rather simulation problems (either introduced by the mission maker or inefficiencies in the game code).

I'm interested though.. How many people were you hosting? After about 10-15 people the upload required starts getting pretty unreasonable for average personal home internet, and starts getting into business / hardcore upload speeds. So having some numbers on the horrendous internet would be useful!

But yeah good info. I've been able to run missions like On Station and whatnot from my house, and these typically last a few hours (I guess that's what you meant by large?), but anything more persistent and things start getting iffy.
We usually have an average Pilot count of between 8 and 16 guys and so far things have been great! (Knock on Wood) I think its the massive object counts on a lot of the big public servers that kills people's performance...

This is also paired with the fact that most large public servers are on the Caucasus Map and I have pretty significant dips in performance on that map due to the massive tree count even on free flights in single player where its only me and a wingman and that is with an i7-7700K, GTX 1080 and 32GB of RAM

This is why I LOVE the Persian Gulf Map the performance on that map is better than any other map we have at the moment in both single and multiplayer.

Patiently waiting for F-15E Strike Eagle from RAZBAM and F-14B Tomcat from Heatblur!
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #90
Spudknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
While our netcode certainly needs improvement, and the addition of dedicated server will certainly will help, this is also a big factor we believe (NOT the only one though).

Thanks,
Matt
A lot of the large public servers are also running on the Caucasus Map, whose large tree count also puts another strain on people's systems besides the large number of objects placed in the mission.

This is why I love the Persian Gulf Map the performance on that map is fantastic! And the geographic setup of the map is perfect for multiplayer with the two "sides" separated by a body of water making navigation very simple for most players and giving some recognizable separation in PvP.