AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

Wags

AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE  

441 members have voted

1. 1. AV-8B COPY PROTECTION CHANGE

• 1 Calendar Day
    • 3 Calendar Days ( Current System Under Evaluation )
    • 7 Calendar Days
    • 14 Calendar Days
    • 21 Calendar Days
    • 30 Calendar Days ( Once a Month )
    • 60 Calendar Days
    • 90 Calendar Days

People really have issues with having to be online in this day and age? Are there people who still use dialup, or is it just a matter of principle?

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to disagree with you BigNewy

Right now I

1. buy a module

2. install

3. Then activate online (once per module)

Then I have no further need to connect to net, all is well

This new way is more of a rental type deal, phone home at our designated period or else you can no longer rent our software

People really have issues with having to be online in this day and age? Are there people who still use dialup, or is it just a matter of principle?

Because due to circumstances outside our control net can go down (ever had issues with an ISP?) guess not

Some people do not have 24/7 access to the net, some might not have it for a while (eg weeks)

We have legally paid for our software, why would it be fair to punish us

And the basic fact is that we were sold these modules under the guise of "requires internet connection to activate"

Or are ED going to offer refunds because they have changed to deal after we have already paid

Edited by Johnny_Rico

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

• ED Team

Right now I

1. buy a module

2. install

This new way is more of a rental type deal, phone home at our designated period or else you can no longer rent our software

But you play online in servers?

So you already contact the master server, I don't see the problem

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

This system is much better, and I am glad to see it happening.

We already login to DCS and when you are online it checks with the server, when you go into your module manager it tells you what modules you can install anyway. Nothing has really changed for the end user apart from a step closer to not using starforce.

Many on this forum have spent years feeding back about how starforce is disliked, and when ED find a way of making things easier for the end users some still dislike it. Of course they can not keep everyone happy, but their software has to be protected in some way, personally for me, this is the best option.

I agree... getting rid of starforce is the best news

I play both MP and SP

When Iam not connected to the net (travelling etc) I can play SP

New system means No play

Or if master server goes down no play for everyone

Right now I

1. buy a module

2. install

Because due to circumstances outside our control net can go down (ever had issues with an ISP?) guess not

Some people do not have 24/7 access to the net, some might not have it for a while (eg weeks)

And the basic fact is that we were sold these modules under the guise of "requires internet connection to activate"

Or are ED going to offer refunds because they have changed to deal after we have already paid

You don't have to be 24/7 online with the new DRM, once activated, if I understood right, you can fly and no need to login or to be online, after 4 days if you haven't connected then it will ask you to go online to verify the license.

• ED Team
I play both MP and SP

When Iam not connected to the net (travelling etc) I can play SP

New system means No play

Or if master server goes down no play for everyone

You can still play single player when travelling, it only needs to contact the server once every 4 days currently ( ED will listen to the feed back so this may change ) even a tethered mobile is enough for a login.

Master server has never been down for 4 days consecutively, ever.

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

You can still play single player when travelling, it only needs to contact the server once every 4 days currently ( ED will listen to the feed back so this may change ) even a tethered mobile is enough for a login.

Master server has never been down for 4 days consecutively, ever.

What if you have no connection of anytype ? software wont work

It doesnt have to be down for 4 days, just the day when you are forced to connect

Why did ED not communicate these changes while they were selling

the Harrier on pre-order ?

Did one of the programmers just go to the managers yesterday morning "got a great new idea for changing the copy protection" ?

• ED Team
What if you have no connection of anytype ? software wont work

It doesnt have to be down for 4 days, just the day when you are forced to connect

Why did ED not communicate these changes while they were selling

the Harrier on pre-order ?

Did one of the programmers just go to the managers yesterday morning "got a great new idea for changing the copy protection" ?

It has been rolled out into the public beta branch for testing and was announced in the patch notes, how much more warning do you need?

The new copy protection happens to be with the AV8B luanch but will eventually be with all modules, it wasn't a selling point for the harrier, it is a DCS feature.

It has been rolled out into the public beta branch for testing and was announced in the patch notes, how much more warning do you need?

The new copy protection happens to be with the AV8B luanch but will eventually be with all modules, it wasn't a selling point for the harrier, it is a DCS feature.

How much more warning ?

The amount I asked for, a couple of posts above

The ability to make an informed decision based on what you guys knew was about to happen, but did not tell us.

"By the way if you pre-purchase the Harrier it will come with a new DRM system

that will force you to phone home to our servers every 4 days or you purchased software will stop working"

Even Matts Letter did not go into this at all, such a big change should have warranted a few sentences in his heart felt letter surely?

• ED Team
How much more warning ?

The amount I asked for, a couple of posts above

The ability to make an informed decision based on what you guys knew was about to happen, but did not tell us.

"By the way if you pre-purchase the Harrier it will come with a new DRM system

that will force you to phone home to our servers every 4 days or you purchased software will stop working"

Even Matts Letter did not go into this at all, such a big change should have warranted a few sentences in his heart felt letter surely?

I don't know what to say, I don't agree with you is all.

Thanks for the feedback, the ED team will read it.

Hopefully they will listen and see sense to not go down this road

Right now if master server down / or you cannot connect at least you have SP

With this new system you have added another central point of failure to the system, no connect/cannot connect = no DCS :-(

And one thing I know for sure from experience, if it can go wrong ... it will go wrong

• ED Team
Hopefully they will listen and see sense to not go down this road

Right now if master server down / or you cannot connect at least you have SP

With this new system you have added another central point of failure to the system, no connect/cannot connect = no DCS :-(

And one thing I know for sure from experience, if it can go wrong ... it will go wrong

They are going down this road, but it may get tweaked, we will have to wait and see.

As for servers going down, you could say that about any online service, even steam goes down sometimes.

They are going down this road, but it may get tweaked, we will have to wait and see.

As for servers going down, you could say that about any online service, even steam goes down sometimes.

Yes indeedy steam does go down, the handy offline start option gets around that, so do other online login systems eg rof

So DCS World will have this feature as well then ?, then would be great

New copy protection and future

With this new copy protection in place, can we hope for some unification of platforms? Will Steam eventually use the same authentication?

There are other games that use it this way, look at Elite Dangerous for example. One ED account but you can choose from which platform you will download the client and updates.

With the 2.5 merge on horizon, this could lead to some very user friendly Quality Of Life improvements.

The new copy protection is a good step forward anyway and thank you for that. :thumbup:

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

AV 8b open beta

Hi,

I purchased the av 8b module and I can not see it displayed in the modules page.., I do have the 1.5 and 2.1 version of dis..., So now I need to intstall also the 1.5 open beta in order to fly it????

So basically you need to have all of those 3 version of dcs on your pc installed in order to be able to play the full options..., I do not think it is practical at all....

Why it was not possible to download the av8b on the normal 1.5??

I do not think next time i'll will pre-purchase a product because it is not really convenient as you never know the terms of use.., and in the end it is a problematic process.... meaning I must download this new version of dcs open beta or I can not use the module I purchased a month ago....!!! really not a good thing... DCS should finally start to be more transparent with this issues since the start of the promotion.., as this kind of strategy make consumer like me just not happy!

That was my earlier question and suggestion, if anything in the connection is down, there's one chance in 4 that DCS is unavailable to the user, provided they log in every day. If that is not the case the chance quickly becomes one in one, and it's pretty safe to assume most people don't have the time to log in every day.

Hopefully the new system can take that into account but it doesn't seem to be the case right now.

To answer someone else's question, yes, servers or Internet connections do go down now and then, I've witnessed other sims for which it's frequent every single time there's a release - everyone's rushing to test it and the server lags then shuts down. So it is very real and really frustrating on those days. That is my main concern with the always online requirement (and as shown before, this system is equivalent to such a requirement).

• Like 1

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

Right now I

1. buy a module

2. install

Starforce activation may be OK for one who has just a few modules, and serial numbers to enter. But for those who have tons of modules it's a major hassle to deactivate/activate them all each time they change the configuration.

I don't think that the need to phone home every now and then will be much of a problem. I'm hooked up 24/7 since late 1990s anyway, and suffer from withdrawal crisis if I'm not connected :D.

Perhaps ED could increase the period to, say, 15 days (two weeks) :music_whistling:

• ED Team
Yes indeedy steam does go down, the handy offline start option gets around that, so do other online login systems eg rof

So DCS World will have this feature as well then ?, then would be great

Same with this new login, if DCS servers go down you still get logged in, you have 4 days without needing a login.

you are trying argue that this login will prevent you from playing, it wont.

Even you agreed that the DCS master server has never been down for 4 days or more, I really do not get why you have a problem.

Starforce needs to connect to authorise your key currently

you need to login to the module manager already to get downloads

you need to be online to play online multiplayer

DCS already says in the requirements a connection is required

Edited by BIGNEWY

Starforce activation may be OK for one who has just a few modules, and serial numbers to enter. But for those who have tons of modules it's a major hassle to deactivate/activate them all each time they change the configuration.

My PC died and I had to build a new one

I had to activate all modules again and it was a ballache to have to enter so many keys and activate .....

... but not as much of a ballache as not being able to play at all because of not being able to phone home every 4 days

Hi,

I purchased the av 8b module and I can not see it displayed in the modules page.., I do have the 1.5 and 2.1 version of dis..., So now I need to intstall also the 1.5 open beta in order to fly it????

So basically you need to have all of those 3 version of dcs on your pc installed in order to be able to play the full options..., I do not think it is practical at all....

Why it was not possible to download the av8b on the normal 1.5??

I do not think next time i'll will pre-purchase a product because it is not really convenient as you never know the terms of use.., and in the end it is a problematic process.... meaning I must download this new version of dcs open beta or I can not use the module I purchased a month ago....!!! really not a good thing... DCS should finally start to be more transparent with this issues since the start of the promotion.., as this kind of strategy make consumer like me just not happy!

So far all the modules were first released to beta version (or alpha). Release into the stable followed about a week or so later.

My PC died and I had to build a new one

I had to activate all modules again and it was a ballache to have to enter so many keys and activate .....

... but not as much of a ballache as not being able to play at all because of not being able to phone home every 4 days

May I ask you how often you are without internet connection, and how long it usualy lasts?

The 4 days period is perhaps not set in stone, and may be subject to change.

Same with this new login, if DCS servers go down you still get logged in, you have 4 days without needing a login.

Not the same as offline login though

you are trying argue that this login will prevent you from playing, it wont.

Even you agreed that the DCS master server has never been down for 4 days or more, I really do not get why you have a problem.

So far master server has not been down for 4 days, but I have no way of predicting the future

And as stated it only has to be down for ONE day for it to be a problem for a user

Starforce needs to connect to authorise your key currently

you need to login to the module manager already to get downloads

you need to be online to play online multiplayer

DCS already says in the requirements a connection is required

That is not the same, currently

buy,download, activate and you are good to go offline and play for a long as you want

currently

requires internet activation. is how you are selling modules

will it be changed to

requires internet connection every 4 days to work

?