Ok I Pulled The sidewinder trigger and Pre-Ordered Bring on DCS FA-18

charlesnett

So I have been playing DCS for a few years now and own a bunch of modules and FC3. I haven't played the game except maybe once or twice in the last year so i am super rusty (Not to mention i was always better with heli's back then anyway). I am definitely going to be hard to pull away from DCS when FA-18 is released.

I had a question for any of the veterans who have taken an extended leave from DCS and then came back to it like I am now. How would you suggest i jump back into the game to get the jitters back out so i am ready day 1 for the f-18? Do you think its best to play solo or multiplayer? Do you think i should start back by re-acquainting myself with the A-10 first since the F-18 will have some similar ground ordinance and targeting system capabilities? Or would i be better off concentrating on FC3 aircraft since they are much simpler, although much less capable for the ground game.

Once the F-18 drops i will mainly fly it in ground attack roles so what strategy would you guys suggest for me to get my feet back wet with DCS to prepare for the F-18.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Charlesnett Callsign - "Fisherman"

If you have FC3, how about getting used to some higher speed ground strikes with the su-33? It can carry a good variety of bombs and rockets, like the F-18. The hornet will also have AGMs and whatnot, so I'm sure practising with some of those in the A-10 wouldn't hurt. I have no idea how similar the actual process of locking and firing is between the two, but either way, you'll have much less time to fire off shots, since the A-10 can float along at a much slower pace.

Personally, I like to just play around in a few custom missions with ground targets littered everywhere.

Windows 10 64 Bit, i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, STRIX GTX 970, Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS

I also have just purchased the F-18 and chose to train on the A-10C as a stepping Stone ... it has a lot of systems to learn, and some of them are similar to the F-18 so it will be useful training.

Right now I'm able to startup, takeoff, navigate with tacan and hsi, and land ... I've just learned to use my first weapon: the gun :) and next on the list are the rockets and dumb bombs, before continuing with the sophisticated weapons.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

smart move, and welcome the the Hornet Club!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I would buy the AV-8B Harrier as the MFD's and various systems of the Jet are going to be very similar to the Hornet, the Harrier is more similar to the Hornet than the A-10 is to the Hornet

A lot of the functions in the AV8B are not modeled in-sim yet though, as of right now I'd put the A-10C above the AV8B in terms if similarity.

pre ordered and joined the club

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Just pre-ordered as well.... I've been away for about 6 months and came back on the open beta 2.5 release..... Been sharpening my skills on my previous favorite, the F-15.

Steve (Slick)

ThrustMaster T.Flight Hotas X | TrackIR5 Pro | EVGA GTX 1070 | Win10 64-bit Professional | Dell Precision 7920 Workstation | 1 TB SSD | 128 GB Memory | Dual Intel Xeon Platinum 2.0 GHz 16 Core Processors (64 Total w/HT ON) | 24" Dell Monitor

Thank you all for the great tips. I especially appreciate the warm welcome to the FA-18 club.

I hadn't thought about the Harrier having similar systems to the FA-18. I'd don't currently own the harrier so do you think it would be worth it to purchase the harrier just to be able to practice for the FA-18? Or is the harrier still not complete enough to be useful as a training platform for the FA-18?

I think I might be better off just using the modules I already own to practice since the FA-18 will likely be released pretty soon. I do currently own FC3, the A10C, Mirage, and all the helicopters except the Gazelle. So with my current stable of aircraft do you think I could practice with those effectively without having to purchase the Harrier module?

Spend some serious time on A-A refuel, especially if you plan on a lot of multiplayer. The gains are twofold - You learn not only A-A refueling, but it forces you to master formation flying.

Thanks for this tip. You're right I definitely could use some work in both of these areas.

The Harrier is straight up fun! The Harrier is one of my favorite modules. I can't do any of the tough stuff but what a blast! Jump back in with both feet bro. Get the Harrier............it's only money. I bought 3Hornets, and 3 Harrier for friends. We all love the Harrier and will love the Hornet. My 2 cents.

Very excited for the hornet, I'd say maybe get some experience in the A-10C if your looking for some experience in that area, or get flight time in the AV8B, but thats not as fleshed out yet.

DCS Modules: UH1H | F/A18C | FC3 | Hawk | L-39 | AV8B | Viggen | Combined Arms | F-14 | F-16 | Yak-52

DCS Wishlist

Tornado GR4

Sepecat Jaguar

Avro Vulcan

A1H Apache

Shameless plug here but

We at the VCVW-11 have a training regime up and running for our pilots old and brand new to get basic flight qualified and ready to hit the boat running when the F-18 drops.

Our lead instructor pilot has 27,000 hours real world flight time, as well as quite a few veterans and active duty military that have worked on the airframe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

I am in the Hornet too at day one. The Harrier feels good to train the systems for the upcoming Hornet. Dont know if the Hog is better for preparing.

PC: Intel Core i7-12700K| Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4| 2x 32GB DDR4 Kingston Fury Beast (KF436C18BBAK2/64)| PowerColor RX 6800 XT Red Devil| 3x SSD-Drive (one for DCS only)| 3x HDD-Drive| Cougar Panzer Max| custom water cooling| Fedora Linux| Windows 11|

Gear: Meta Quest 3| Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS| MFG Crosswind v2| Leap motion controller|

Respectfully disagree, the Harrier is just another target. Wait for the Hornet.

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement.

The harrier is a good platform for learning the basics of modern ground attack, plus its fun to boot. Was learning Mavs and Tpods for the GBUs yesterday after I bought it. It’s good fun.

• Like 1

"Chops"

Then he’s bad pilot or you caught him napping.

I agree the Harrier just doesn't have the necessary performance to really be able to perform well enough even as WVR dog-fighter assuming it survives a to get a merge and not get shot down in BVR. Its a subsonic jet, whilst higher performance than the A10, its acceleration and climb rates ) is still inferior to many modern figher jets. past 5000m its performance really starts to suffer. You cant take full advantage of the max performance for extended periods in such situations of time given on max throttle the Av8b engine ca overheat in matter of minutes and get damaged.

Even Sabres and Mig15's can still give it a run for its money if they don't kill them head on. with sidewinders.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

he who turns, burns

attachment.php?attachmentid=179707&stc=1&d=1519362497

harriers are more or less free kills in a visual fight, especially against the f-86. against the mig-15 it's got one thing it can do but nobody ever does it.

however its true that you can kill anything with anything as long as you manage to find the right set of conditions.

acghk000.thumb.jpg.8da101db3321c19edbbd7e324178269a.jpg

Edited by probad

There are only 2 kinds of aircraft...fighters and targets..and the Harrier ain’t no fighter, so....

Well.. It's an attacker.. The 3rd type of aircraft :music_whistling:

Not really sure why you're all debating its usefulness in air combat though, since it was really never meant to do that. It's meant to only attack ground targets while operating out of makeshift airbases and small ships, which the hornet can't exactly do.

Either way, its systems may share some similarities with the hornet, since it has a more modern display setup. In my opinion, it could probably prove to be good for some hornet training, if you're dying to get some flight time in something a little closer to the jet we're all waiting for here. :smilewink:

Even though I have yet to get the harrier for DCS, it has always been a favourite of mine in other simulators due to its uniqueness.

Windows 10 64 Bit, i7-4790K @ 4.4GHz, 16GB RAM, STRIX GTX 970, Thrustmaster T.16000M HOTAS