VEAO Spitfire Mk XIV Dev Diary

Pman

Hi Guys,

Thought it was bout time that I started the Dev Diary for the Spitfire Mk XIV.

I am pleased to confirm that this will be the 3rd aircraft to be released in the Warbirds Collection.

At the moment we have been gathering data, speaking to pilots and getting reference material together for the aircraft as well as making some technical decisions regarding what model and layouts we are going to use.

Obviously its no shock to anyone that with the help of the TFC and the guys at Duxford we have access to their Mk XIV which helps us alot!

I for one am really looking forward to getting some Griffon power into DCS!

A few things that I can confirm ...

We are primarily looking to do the clipped wing variant with a bubble (low back) canopy. Although after suggestion from one of the forum guys we think we have a way of enabling full tips as an option in the mission editor. I cant confirm that this will 100% be done for sure until we try and actually put it in the sim but I am confident that we will be able to work something out.

For the moment at least we will not be able to implement different fuel grades this is something that we may look at later, so for the time being we will work on the assumption of 21lbs with 150 octane. Although it should be noted that although alot of MkXIV's had the conversion done severe damage was often the result of overuse, I have seen under 5 minutes being quoted on several documents. So this will be a short one hit wonder unless I can verify that it was able to be used for longer periods. Some references show it only being used to try and catch V1's. I will continue to investigate this as the EFM and ASM are developed.

Primary weaponary will be the stock weapons for the Mk XIV.

GGS, we havent decided about this yet, I would like to have this as an editable option within the ME, but we will have to see what is technically possible when it comes round to it. GGS is used on other aircraft in our roadmap so its def in my mind but until we actually try some stuff we cant say for sure.

The model will be started in late September to be ready early November (So watch our VFAT fans!)

EFM is already starting in its basic form as well so we are on track for release after the Bearcat.

All the best everyone

Pman

Edited by Pman
  • Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good news!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Some references show it only being used to try and catch V1's. I will continue to investigate this as the EFM and ASM are developed.

An at what point can we expect an announcement on an AI V1 add-on?:music_whistling:

Notice how I took what you said entirely out of context to emphasize my point :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the street and then getting hit by an airplane."

Dogs of War Dedicated WWII Server Thread

Oooh. V1 killing could be good.

Any reason someone couldnt mod in a ground unit for v1 and v2 if they arent already planbed by ED or VEAO?

Oh and Pman could static sight and ggs function be modelled simply as a "HUD" with 2 modes like the jets have air to air, air to ground, NAV modes etc? Selected via which site is fitted via mission editor/loadout screen?

You've probably noticed I like the idea of having as many optional extras as possible!

Edited by Random
Oooh. V1 killing could be good.

Any reason someone couldnt mod in a ground unit for v1 and v2 if they arent already planbed by ED or VEAO?

Oh and Pman could static sight and ggs function be modelled simply as a "HUD" with 2 modes like the jets have air to air, air to ground, NAV modes etc? Selected via which site is fitted via mission editor/loadout screen?

You've probably noticed I like the idea of having as many optional extras as possible!

You could yes, the problem is that the actual gunsights looked very different and if we were going to do it we would want a solution that changed that as well.

No plans for V1's from us im afraid

Pman

A few things that I can confirm ...

We are primarily looking to do the clipped wing variant with a bubble (low back) canopy. Although after suggestion from one of the forum guys we think we have a way of enabling full tips as an option in the mission editor. I cant confirm that this will 100% be done for sure until we try and actually put it in the sim but I am confident that we will be able to work something out.

That sounds great :)

You could yes, the problem is that the actual gunsights looked very different and if we were going to do it we would want a solution that changed that as well.

Pman

Have checked the mig 21 pics that have been posted. Bunyap has a thread showing a ground attack with guns and rockets including pics in cockpit with a switch panel above the windscreen that isn't there on other recent threads! So how good are leatherneck at sharing? :D

Have checked the mig 21 pics that have been posted. Bunyap has a thread showing a ground attack with guns and rockets including pics in cockpit with a switch panel above the windscreen that isn't there on other recent threads! So how good are leatherneck at sharing? :D

We have an excellent relationship with Leather neck.

However I havent decided what we are going to do regarding the gunsight yet.

Once that development decision has been made then we will decide a way forward.

Pman

For the moment at least we will not be able to implement different fuel grades this is something that we may look at later, so for the time being we will work on the assumption of 21lbs with 150 octane. Although it should be noted that although alot of MkXIV's had the conversion done severe damage was often the result of overuse, I have seen under 5 minutes being quoted on several documents. So this will be a short one hit wonder unless I can verify that it was able to be used for longer periods. Some references show it only being used to try and catch V1's. I will continue to investigate this as the EFM and ASM are developed.

Pman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Griffon

Griffon 61 for XIV? no Griffon 65 or 72? Those references are of 1944 early batch of Spitfire XIV or late version?

Griffon 61

Introduced a two-speed two-stage supercharger with aftercooler similar to that on Merlin 61; 2,035 hp (1,520 kW) at 7,000 ft (2,100 m) and 1,820 hp (1,360 kW) at 21,000 ft (6,400 m); used on Spitfire F.Mk.XIV, Mk.21.

• Griffon 65

Similar to Griffon 61 with different propeller reduction gear; Impeller diameters 1st stage: 13.4 in (34 cm), 2nd stage: 11.3 in (29 cm);[26] used on Spitfire F.Mk.XIV.

• Griffon 72

Increased maximum boost pressure to take advantage of 150-grade fuel; 2,245 hp (1,675 kW) at 9,250 ft (2,820

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Griffon

Griffon 61 for XIV? no Griffon 65 or 72? Those references are of 1944 early batch of Spitfire XIV or late version?

Griffon 61

Introduced a two-speed two-stage supercharger with aftercooler similar to that on Merlin 61; 2,035 hp (1,520 kW) at 7,000 ft (2,100 m) and 1,820 hp (1,360 kW) at 21,000 ft (6,400 m); used on Spitfire F.Mk.XIV, Mk.21.

• Griffon 65

Similar to Griffon 61 with different propeller reduction gear; Impeller diameters 1st stage: 13.4 in (34 cm), 2nd stage: 11.3 in (29 cm);[26] used on Spitfire F.Mk.XIV.

• Griffon 72

Increased maximum boost pressure to take advantage of 150-grade fuel; 2,245 hp (1,675 kW) at 9,250 ft (2,820

It is a Griffon 65 that we are doing with 21lbs of boost.

Factory standard for the 65 was just under 18 lbs (17.7) to be precise.

We are not aiming to make our spitfire the fastest variant nor the one with the biggest engine. I have great technical documentation for the Griffon 65 as well as access to several running models plus techs that work on them day in and day out :)

Pman

It is a Griffon 65 that we are doing with 21lbs of boost.

Factory standard for the 65 was just under 18 lbs (17.7) to be precise.

We are not aiming to make our spitfire the fastest variant nor the one with the biggest engine. I have great technical documentation for the Griffon 65 as well as access to several running models plus techs that work on them day in and day out :)

Pman

I have to wait for one year to get Spitfire XIV in DCS?