Difficult to use guns with TGP

Vampyr

I always use the TGP to search for and designate targets before coming down to strafe them with my gun. The problem is that when I bring the reticle over the SPI, it'll "cover" or hide the SPI diamond and therefore make it difficult for me to fire accurately without getting close to the target.

Is there a way for me to prevent the reticle from covering the SPI diamond?

Using a different reticle would be one way. I prefer to just zoom in and get a visual on actual target though.

I can't seem to zoom in too much since I started using Track IR. My current graphics card isn't too good either, so it's very difficult looking for that one dark green pixel among the rest of the clutter.

Change the GUN CROSS OCCULT setting in the IFFCC settings menu.

A long time ago, in a version far far away...this setting was bugged and didn't actually turn off the occultation window. I havent tried it in years, so try it out and let us know if it's working now.

I will try that, thanks.

Newbie question... how exactly do I change the GUN CROSS OCCULT setting in the IFFCC settings menu? I've never gone into the IFFCC settings before.

Put the IFFCC switch on AHCP panel to TEST. Look at the HUD and select the DISPLAY MODES sub-menu by using the UFC. Switch CCIP GUN CROSS OCCULT to NO or OFF, dont remember if its a YES/NO or ON/OFF.

Edited by kylekatarn720

I did that and didn't notice any change; the reticle looks the same when I'm in GUNS mode, and the SPI marker still gets covered by the reticle.

According to the manual, the GUN CROSS OCCULT setting is only used to hide/show the TVV indicator in CCIP mode. I don't think that's what I'm looking for.

Edited by Vampyr

One workaround could be to drop a markpoint at the spi and then boresight the tgp whenever you feel the marker is in the way of the target to clear up the hud. Then you can just slave the tgp back to the steerpoint after your gun run. Though doesn't the tgp maker disappear under the center of the gun pipper anyhow?

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

The HUD symbology will give way to clear view for pipper in all cases. You're supposed to really see the target you're shooting at.

I suggest zoom way in, dim the HUD symbology very low, and take very good note of where your symbology indicates before slewing the pipper over the target.

MY opinion based on simialr struggles is that zoom is key. It occludes so you can see the target so if you cant its not “realistic”. I also use trackir but just mapped zoom to my hotas. I fly around zoomed normal but on attack runs zoom so the hud is much bugger.

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

Actually, it shouldn't. With CCIP GUN CROSS OCCULT set to N, neither the TVV, TD box, nor sensor symbology should be obscured by the gun reticle, gun cross, 4/8/12k wind-corrected gun cross, or the 4k iron sight.

This has been broken in DCS for years.

Correct.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

Actually, it shouldn't. With CCIP GUN CROSS OCCULT set to N, neither the TVV, TD box, nor sensor symbology should be obscured by the gun reticle, gun cross, 4/8/12k wind-corrected gun cross, or the 4k iron sight.

I refer to DCS module. If real airplane is different I don't know. Good info.

Gun cross occult working as intended.

HFRAviH.jpg

Freakin' hilarious haha:lol:

Callsign: "Milkman"

I7-8700k@4.8--Corsair H115i pro--EVGA FTW3 1080ti--GB Aorus Z370--256GB M.2 SSD--16GB ram--Win10--1000wGold Rate PSU--CV1 Rift--TIR5--X55 HOTAS--TM pedals--TM MFDs--Custom UFC

Is it broken for just the A-10C module or for all DCS modules?

I literally spent $400 on a TM Warthog just to be able to use the GAU-8 more accurately, and now this silly reticle issue is the only thing getting in my way of being able to do that. This is depressing.

Bind zoom to the friction slider on the TM Warthog and set a very small deadzone on your TrackIR, memorize where the TGP carat is on the HUD and put the center of the pupper on it and fire. These are the two ways I do it, I either zoom in and find the target visually, or I just remember where the carat is and place he pupper there and pull stage one of the trigger as soon as I’m over it.

Edited by JDarksword

"Though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. For I am 80,000 feet and climbing." -9th SRW Det. 1 Wing Ops, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5-4460, 16GB of RAM, MSi GTX 970 Twin Frozr V, ASRock H97M Anniversary, 2x 1TB HDD, Fractal design Core 1100, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Corsair Vengeance K70, Razer Abyssus mouse, BenQ 1080P monitor.

Is it broken for just the A-10C module or for all DCS modules?

I literally spent $400 on a TM Warthog just to be able to use the GAU-8 more accurately, and now this silly reticle issue is the only thing getting in my way of being able to do that. This is depressing.

Use the "friction" slider for zoom broseph. The A-10C isn't using it otherwise.

Also take some time and setup curves for your trackIR to make it more sensitive "faster" so that yuo don't have to crane your neck. Will help with the whole weirdness when zooming in and out.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

I know that ED considers the A-10C module "completed", but what are the chances of them addressing all these issues in the future?

Anyway, these tips are helpful, but I guess I'll start practicing strafing with the default settings. It seems I can still manage to get enough rounds on the target if I get just a little lower.

Edited by Vampyr

Practice is what you need my friend. Lots of constructive advice has been posted. We all found a way. Very little in the A10C is easy but wih practice it all comes together. If you find this frusterating and blame ED I cant wait until you try AAR!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

There's a difference between best practices and accurate modeling of physical systems.

According to people in the know, apparently it should be possible to set the gun symbology to not drill a hole through other symbology. If DCS doesn't do that then it is modeled wrong. That's all there is to it. How good of an idea it is or not to make use of that is completely irrelevant.

That being said I agree with you. Even if it was modeled correctly I wouldn't make use of it. I would want the other symbology to move aside so I could put pipper on target visually.

To be very honest, I don`t ever remember this being different. Since release, it has always been like this. I don`t know if this is even a bug. Although it might be a bit inconvenient, at some point, with full zoom in, you can see the target without issues. Especially with the new textures.

As EasyEB said, you need to be in CCIP. That's the "CCIP" part of "CCIP gun cross occult." Use the MMB once you have selected the cannon.

I can't speak to the functionality in the real bird, but that's working in DCS and logically it makes sense.

Edited by feefifofum

So in the IFFCC menu there are some lines of preferences which are missing from the DCS module while were in the real suite 3.1 OFP?

By the way TD box and TGP diamond are different elements. Would setting TD box not occluded by pipper in guns master mode also allow TGP diamond?