Flashing radar on while in EO mode for Russian planes

JazonXD

IR itself only gives angle and angle rates. Radar gives range at long range and laser at closer range, that's how it works in reality and how it is documented and that's how it's represented in the sim.

The IFF system is integrated in the radar, so when you turn the radar on in EO+ILL you're using the IFF antennas to IFF and the radar in a low frequency, LPI, range only mode for ranging, that is until you get into laser range.

You can get from EO+ILL to RL by pressing "O".

I'd be surprised if the game implemented range bursts for the Slotback 2 radar.. I do not think there is any documentation of this.

Considering you can range targets without any indication of the radar being on, I have assumed that eagle dynamics had been inflating the ability of the laser range finder..

I highly doubt that, IRL, there is no way to passively track a target with the EO while having the radar OFF. Hence them implementing a laser range finder...

Jazon,

Yes the IFF system is separate from the radar IRL (besides the fact that the IFF antennas sit on the face of the Radar antenna). Its very likely that IRL the pilot could use IFF with EO (having the radar off), as the IFF signal wouldn't likely be noticed by the target (for reasons I explained in my previous post).

I'd be surprised if the game implemented range bursts for the Slotback 2 radar.. I do not think there is any documentation of this.

Considering you can range targets without any indication of the radar being on, I have assumed that eagle dynamics had been inflating the ability of the laser range finder..

There is, IIRC the SU-27 (some version) pilot manual mentions it. Off course these aren't really simulated in-game, but the intent is there, it's not by accident.

The LWS in the A-10 and KA-50 will only give an alarm once inside 5km or so, according to your theory they should at 50.

I highly doubt that, IRL, there is no way to passively track a target with the EO while having the radar OFF. Hence them implementing a laser range finder...

Off course you could passively track them without having the radar on, you just won't have range when outside laser coverage. But AFAIK the radar is always used when tracking targets in EO, they seem pretty confident on its LPI abilities.

The laser rangefinder is there to allow accurate gun employment at close range, the radar, in this range only mode, is probably not very accurate.

IR itself only gives angle and angle rates. Radar gives range at long range and laser at closer range, that's how it works in reality and how it is documented and that's how it's represented in the sim.

The IFF system is integrated in the radar, so when you turn the radar on in EO+ILL you're using the IFF antennas to IFF and the radar in a low frequency, LPI, range only mode for ranging, that is until you get into laser range.

You can get from EO+ILL to RL by pressing "O".

But today I had laser information out to 40+ km. That was the point at which the target was close enough to get a return with EO only. At that point I locked the target. Radar was never turned on to any degree by me. Target range: 42 km. So, in the sim, either the laser range finder is extremely powerful or the radar is always on to some degree to provide range information whether you see any indication of it or not.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

But today I had laser information out to 40+ km. That was the point at which the target was close enough to get a return with EO only. At that point I locked the target. Radar was never turned on to any degree by me. Target range: 42 km. So, in the sim, either the laser range finder is extremely powerful or the radar is always on to some degree to provide range information whether you see any indication of it or not.

That's what I was saying, the radar is on but in a special mode and there is no indication for it (in the sim). It doesn't matter because all of this is not deeply simulated, but the effects are there. :)