F-8 Crusader

MrDieing

As for A-4E. Absolutely, would love to see it as full fidelity module. Mods are fine, but there is a point I feel it gets more inconvenient to run it like that instead of fully integrated version.

Yup, I stopped using it for this reason. I wish that dev team would work with ED to make it official, but thus far they have no interest.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I really think ED should develop a carrier version of the Phantom instead of the Air Force E model once they come back to the Phantom.

The E was the most widely used and produced. Though the G was probably the coolest.

For a navy phantom, F4J or S would work, but there are also the Brit phantom's to consider.

Honestly given the huge numbers produced and variants they should do both/a few.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yup, I stopped using it for this reason. I wish that dev team would work with ED to make it official, but thus far they have no interest.

If this goes one some team will finally do it.

The E was the most widely used and produced. Though the G was probably the coolest.

For a navy phantom, F4J or S would work, but there are also the Brit phantom's to consider.

Honestly given the huge numbers produced and variants they should do both/a few.

Yeah, but E is generally a more ground pounding than air to air platform. I personally like J and N.

B/N shared some ECM and RWR stuff with F-8J too.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Yes Sir, real Phan here :)

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Yeah, but E is generally a more ground pounding than air to air platform. I personally like J and N.

Yes, another Phantom Phan! We need a "DCS on-hold/cancelled the F-4" Support Group right here!

I'd prefer an F-4J over the F-4S or F-4N myself since it saw combat. And I think the slatted F-4E's were actually designed for air-to-air - slats, TISEO, APX-80 IFF - all are air-to-air assets. When they went to Vietnam, they also had crews that trained together, like the Navy, so that they could be more proficient than ever before. But they also did add AGM-65A's and more potent air-to-ground stuff.

Edited by SgtPappy
typos

All F-4Ns saw combat :P Just that they were called F-4B back then. F-4N was in service from Feb 1973, so they must have seen some action.

As for F-4E, naaah. It's radar was nowhere near APG-59/AWG-10 from F-4J and even lacked in comparison to APQ-72/AERO-1A. Navy Phantoms (including later F-4Bs) got SEAM, VTAS, dogfight computer with ACM launch zone indications and dogfight modes for AIM-7s, air-to-air IFF, data-link and pilot lock-on mode.

Air force throughout the Nam war did not emphasize air-to-air capabilities nearly as much as Navy post RAG / Top Gun introduction.

For me Navy Phantoms remain primary air to air predators.

Well, blue air needs cold war ground pounders :). I mean currently we have the.... Oh wait, we don't... And I'd say the F4E is decently well rounded for either A/A or A/G though the naval phantoms were far better optimized for A/A. Besides once the F14A comes out, that will be the definitive cold war naval fighter for the second half of the cold war, so I'd rather see something more on the strike/multirole side of the house.

Really there should be 2 different modules for it IMO (or 3 if you want to add ze British onez).

Edited by Harlikwin

Well, blue air needs cold war ground pounders :). I mean currently we have the.... Oh wait, we don't....

A-10A : ))laughs in GAU-8 ((

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] DCS: The most expensive free game you'll ever play

Modules: All of them

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I really think ED should develop a carrier version of the Phantom instead of the Air Force E model once they come back to the Phantom.

I really, really, REALLY hope they will not do this.

F-4 = F-4E. I want multirole fighter-bomber that has seen service all over the world, has a gun, lots of guided air to ground weapons/sensors, a targeting pod, and also some slats on those wings.

The version Belsimtek chose is literally the best F-4 to do. A naval F-4 in addition to it would be cool yes, but a naval F-4 instead of an 80s F-4E would be a huge shame.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

A-10A : ))laughs in GAU-8 ((

Fair, but I'm limiting myself to actual fully click modules. If we throw in FC3 we have the A10A and Su25A. So CAS, but still no strike planes.

And full disclosure I'd love to see clicky versions of both.

I see no reason to exclude FC3, and while "full clicky" is a must-have for some, there is certainly an important case to be made for an "abbreviated model"- dcs has a pretty brutal learning curve, and it's certainly something to take pride in learning how to operate these aircraft, but there does need to be an onramp of sorts to bridge the gap between those just getting started and the hardcore simmers. Il-2 isn't clicky at all, and although I spend more time flying dcs, I've had far more fun with the other sim. Bringing the casual players on is important, if for no reason than the potential development dollars they bring with them.

System:

I9-9900k, ROG Maximus , 32gb ram, RTX2070 Founder's Edition, t16000,hotas, pedals & cougar MFD, HP Reverb 1.2, HTC VIVE

I really, really, REALLY hope they will not do this.

F-4 = F-4E. I want multirole fighter-bomber that has seen service all over the world, has a gun, lots of guided air to ground weapons/sensors, a targeting pod, and also some slats on those wings.

The version Belsimtek chose is literally the best F-4 to do. A naval F-4 in addition to it would be cool yes, but a naval F-4 instead of an 80s F-4E would be a huge shame.

This:

zwMjkW.jpg

is cooler than this:

F-4_Phantom_II%2C_Davis-Monthan.JPG

Period.

Also, I think we should get Phantom Phans thread somewhere else. This one after all belongs to Crusader folk:

20200120_080738.jpg

And full disclosure I'd love to see clicky versions of both.

I would too, but I'd like to see more non-clicky ones as well for a few reasons: like I mentioned before, for newer players. Why ,in the future, would they buy an ossified and outdated module like fc3?

Second, I rarely ever actually click anything, having mapped the most critical controls to stick/hotas/mfds

Third: with as many planes as we'd like to see released, and as many hugs as we want seen fixed on past modules, and with the limited number of people actually coding/developing the modules, perhaps the occasional medium-fidelity module would be a realistic compromise

System:

This:

zwMjkW.jpg

is cooler than this:

F-4_Phantom_II%2C_Davis-Monthan.JPG

Period.

This, on the PG map, does it for me

8fc2f31ed01fb489ca5e0f792523ddd9.jpg

System:

I would too, but I'd like to see more non-clicky ones as well for a few reasons: like I mentioned before, for newer players. Why ,in the future, would they buy an ossified and outdated module like fc3?

Second, I rarely ever actually click anything, having mapped the most critical controls to stick/hotas/mfds

Third: with as many planes as we'd like to see released, and as many hugs as we want seen fixed on past modules, and with the limited number of people actually coding/developing the modules, perhaps the occasional medium-fidelity module would be a realistic compromise

Thats part of the problem flying in VR. You WANT to click stuff as opposed to mapping it, cuz you can see it in the pit, but not the keyboard/hotas, and going through 3 layers of shift keys sucks :).

I've thought about what a medium-fi plane would look like, but at the end of the day I have a hard time picturing it versus the small bit of extra effort to do a full-fi plane. The A10A is an interesting case as the C version, is more advanced avionics wise but most of the other systems to my knowledge are pretty similar, aero is the same, so it would be IMO fairly easy to do one.

Anyhow back to the Crusader

515ee8f39c6a6144584d8dd7a7344cce--crusaders-finals.jpg

Edited by Harlikwin

I only fly vr, so the keyboard is only used for bindings I can find by touch. I use the mouse for the rare stuff that I haven't bound, but that's not very common. Additionally, using a common binding system across all aircraft for universal tho controls (gear,flaps, speed brake, et cetera) makes it easy to jump from plane to plane with plenty of open bindings still available that's unique to each airframe- but I don't notice that much of a difference going from, say a mig29 or the -25T to say, a viggen or m2k (in terms of control, not flight experience obviously)

Fwiw, I've been spending most of my time in the mi8, gazelle, and ka50 lately

I'd love to put the tomcat to use, but at the moment it's a beautiful slideshow.

With as much as I'd like to see more non-naval air in DCS, I really really want to see the f8, especially if I could do this:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/the-true-story-behind-the-famous-sequence-of-thirteen-days-movie-featuring-the-rf-8-crusader-low-level-high-speed-run-over-cuba-during-the-missile-crisis

System:

System:

You know what also would go well with F-8J ?

This:

mPCsZv.png

lSPOUd.jpg

I'm sorry but I couldnt hold myself :) Phantom fan here.

As for A-4E. Absolutely, would love to see it as full fidelity module. Mods are fine, but there is a point I feel it gets more inconvenient to run it like that instead of fully integrated version.

This

Except I want the F-4E not the F-4N or J :D:D

Edited by Hummingbird

Navy and Marines > Air Force any day :P

• Like 1

All F-4Ns saw combat :P Just that they were called F-4B back then. F-4N was in service from Feb 1973, so they must have seen some action.

As for F-4E, naaah. It's radar was nowhere near APG-59/AWG-10 from F-4J and even lacked in comparison to APQ-72/AERO-1A. Navy Phantoms (including later F-4Bs) got SEAM, VTAS, dogfight computer with ACM launch zone indications and dogfight modes for AIM-7s, air-to-air IFF, data-link and pilot lock-on mode.

Air force throughout the Nam war did not emphasize air-to-air capabilities nearly as much as Navy post RAG / Top Gun introduction.

For me Navy Phantoms remain primary air to air predators.

Well the F-4E was the better dogfighter, and not just because it came with a gun :)

The slats helped the turning performance quite a bit, and AFAIK apart from the weaker radar the F-4E feautured more toys overall.

Navy and Marines > Air Force any day :P

Whatever gets chosen, it will make a great teammate to the Crusader!

And yes, you were right about the weapons, radar and training of the USN F-4's Hiromachi! Just like the F-8 pilots, they were the deadliest in the skies.

Although the F-4B's saw service, none of them say in -N standard. Slatted F-4E saw combat and made multiple aces with both the USAF and Israel, which most people forget. The IDF has nine aces in the F-4E which saw combat in the Yom Kippur war with slats and the gun making them pretty good dog fighters.

Back to the F-8 though, it will be a beast... it's better than the F-5 in virtually every way so I can;t wait to have cold war servers with it available.

Pretty sure the F-4S also had slats, and in fact it supposedly turned better than the -E because the gun in the -E made it more nose heavy (source: somewhere in here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjSyQfUWwM, sorry if I can't do better).

Honestly any Phantom would to it for me. Sure the Navy paint schemes are amazing, but so are these:

japanese-f4-phantom.jpg

Japan_F4_01.jpg

7124f6d29b263a77cf0e25af9ee5265e.jpg

d32581ccdda9b951e5c9abd5bbaccaca.jpg

66f83ccb45a1db685f970511efe83366.jpg

28781_1498861018.jpg

Anyway, Crusader content to limit the derailing:

Edited by TLTeo