How it Works: Mi-8 Fire Protection System

It's because the manual has bit's which are in Russian and then English, it's making it hard for me to fully understand what their telling me to do.

You crunched it out in a few bullet points and essentials.

I'm using the English cockpit, so that's causing me a little confusion too.

I got some other questions regarding the fire system.

1. If the fire system uses the main bottle of extinguisher, and I need to use the secondary. I take it, I can't extinguish any more fires, as I've used all water in the bottles?

2. twice now, one of my engines got hit and the fire system did not extinguish the fire. Eventually the helicopter blow up.

If this happens, where the 2 bottles get used and the fire continues. Should I just get the chopper on the deck and evac?

Again thanks for sharing your knowledge dude :)

Don't forget to kill fuel supply to engine, preferably before Squibbing.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

I got some other questions regarding the fire system.

1. If the fire system uses the main bottle of extinguisher, and I need to use the secondary. I take it, I can't extinguish any more fires, as I've used all water in the bottles?

2. twice now, one of my engines got hit and the fire system did not extinguish the fire. Eventually the helicopter blow up.

1. Correct, once you've used both the main and secondary bottles, there is no more extinguishing agent remaining.

2. If there is an engine compartment fire, you must also immediately shut down the engine and shut off its fuel flow. Do this by moving the red handle above the pilot followed by closing the fuel shutoff valve for that engine on the fuel panel above the copilot.

Sweet, thanks for the helps dudes.

I got a chance to test it tonight. One engine got hit, fire warning happened. Did what you dudes suggested. Fuel off, pressed the extinguish button. This time the fire went out. Was able to get back to the Farp on one engine.

Again thanks for the help.

• 7 months later...
Yeah the doppler is removed from all of our aircraft, and we have no documentation on it either.

Why is that out of interest, just because we have GPS now?

Also thanks for posting this info, overkill for DCS but still a fascinating read and a small window into some of the work you must do on these birds.

Why is that out of interest, just because we have GPS now?

Well our original aircraft had it and we removed it. I think that having GPS installed was a primary driver for that decision, although I don't know that for sure.

Our "newer" aircraft don't even come with it in the first place, making me wonder if it's just another factory option that most people don't bother with.

• 1 year later...

Seams like when the main extinguisher is used and the fire is not extinguished, and the altarnate extinguisher is used to early, second try is not working too. But the alternate try its working after a couple seconds after the main try, is there a time or engine RPM limit to use the alternate extinguisher?

For extinguishing a fire, you need to turn off the engine that is on fire (With the red levers above pilot head) and after that, turn off the Fuel Valve from the engine that is on fire, AFTER that you deploy the extinguisher.

At least, that's how I do it.

For extinguishing a fire, you need to turn off the engine that is on fire (With the red levers above pilot head) and after that, turn off the Fuel Valve from the engine that is on fire, AFTER that you deploy the extinguisher.

At least, that's how I do it.

This is correct by the checklist. The only difference is that after you close the overhead fuel lever, and also the fuel shutoff valve on the fuel panel, if the fire indication has gone away you don't fire the second extinguisher bottle. I don't know if in-game the fire ever goes out after just one bottle or if there is some randomness thrown in to require one or two extinguishers.

I don't know if in-game the fire ever goes out after just one bottle or if there is some randomness thrown in to require one or two extinguishers.

Often the fire does go out after just a single extinguisher has deployed.

• 8 months later...
On 10/28/2015 at 8:44 AM, AlphaOneSix said:

I was going to write a long post about this, but I already have presentations in PowerPoint that I wrote a few years ago, so I just converted it to a PDF and I'll attach it here. It may be more information than most of you are interested in, but I think that anyone interested in how this system works will find it useful.

Hello,

First of all, thanks a lot for sharing this document on the Forum. 

I'm trying to replicate the Cold Start Procedure of the real helo in DCS, but have a couple of questions about the Fire Extinguishing Check that is done by the Flight Engineer during the Cold Start. This is what I've extracted and adapted from the real manual (I'm using the english Cockpit Mod, so the name of a couple of switches is not really proper):

SvJr8so.jpg

My questions are:

1) Why the Radio should be OFF? Is it really necesary?

2) Once the Test is finished, why the Circuit Breaker should be left OFF? Isn't it needed in case there is an engine fire during start up?

I know that these are small details, but I'm trying to streamline the procedure while still being faithful to the real one.

Thanks a lot for any help,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, Rudel_chw said:

1) Why the Radio should be OFF? Is it really necesary?

2) Once the Test is finished, why the Circuit Breaker should be left OFF? Isn't it needed in case there is an engine fire during start up?

Hello

1 Because Natasha could transmit message on comm1 in case of fire. And during checks, there are many Natasha calls about the fire, so ATC could hear them. 
2 it is on after checks, so this statement is wrong. During checks there are 4 cb off (1 ocered and 2 ocered - очередь ). All 5 cbs correlated with PPS should be on after checks

MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS, i5 8600K, MSI GTX 1080 GamingX, 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz, 500 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD

21 minutes ago, lukynoo92 said:

2 it is on after checks, so this statement is wrong. During checks there are 4 cb off (1 ocered and 2 ocered - очередь ). All 5 cbs correlated with PPS should be on after checks

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the help, regarding point 2, I can't find from where did I got that step .. I'm looking at the manual of the Mi-17 and can't find that step ... surely it was a mistake of my own.

Can you please list for me which CBs should be OFF? .. I don't understand the "ocered" term 😞

Greetings,

Eduardo

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi,

During fire protection checks, it is necessary to turn off 1,2ocered (1st and 2nd order of extinguishers). Later during the flight it is not necessary to have some groups of cbs turned on, like in the picture (winter group during the summer, except wipers, etc.).

fps.jpg

• Like 1

MSI Z370 GAMING PLUS, i5 8600K, MSI GTX 1080 GamingX, 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz, 500 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, lukynoo92 said:

Hi,

During fire protection checks, it is necessary to turn off 1,2ocered (1st and 2nd order of extinguishers). Later during the flight it is not necessary to have some groups of cbs turned on, like in the picture (winter group during the summer, except wipers, etc.).

Thank you so much, for the very clear answer 👍

Last week appeared the v2.0 of the A-4E Skyhawk and I'm colaborating by editing the Training Missions for it, so I had to leave the Mi-8 aside for a couple of weeks, but I fully intend to return to the Mi-8 right after 🙂

Best regards,

Eduardo

There is also new beta2 version with some improvemets, but sadly, they remove this: 

• Removed ability for the Gunsight to slave to the radar. The gunsight must now be set to zero when using the CP-741/A bombing computer.

23 minutes ago, lukynoo92 said:

There is also new beta2 version with some improvemets, but sadly, they remove this: 

• Removed ability for the Gunsight to slave to the radar. The gunsight must now be set to zero when using the CP-741/A bombing computer.

Yes, but the new bombing computer seems to increase the accuracy .. tough I have not tested it myself yet:

On 5/3/2020 at 7:05 PM, AlphaOneSix said:

This is correct by the checklist. The only difference is that after you close the overhead fuel lever, and also the fuel shutoff valve on the fuel panel, if the fire indication has gone away you don't fire the second extinguisher bottle. I don't know if in-game the fire ever goes out after just one bottle or if there is some randomness thrown in to require one or two extinguishers.

I at least have never needed to use the second discharge, the first one always worked with immediate effect. However, it makes me wonder. Would there really be any negative effects if the pilots got a fire warning (during combat) and happen to use the distinguisher without cutting off the fuel (red levers) and shutting down the fuel pump (switch)? I´m thinking a pilot error here or a stressful situation. The only one I can think of is the discharge not being able to put out fire, but would there be anything else?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Shuting down fuel pump will do nothing, since there is crossfeed. Fuel valve for that engine is different story. Even then, you want to shut down engine first, since there is fuel left after the valve itself which can feed fire for few seconds. IRL this is a bit different since you have two crew members not flying, so they can split tasking to shut down correct engine/side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to help visualize things, the fuel shutoff levers above the pilot shut off the fuel supply from the fuel control unit on the engine to the fuel nozzles in the combustion chamber. With those levers moved to the off position, the engine shuts down pretty much instantly, but fuel is still being delivered to the engine compartment. The fuel fire shutoff valves are located in the main gearbox compartment and will prevent fuel from being delivered to anywhere near the engine compartment. The levers are a direct physical connection to the valve in the fuel control unit, while the fire shutoff valves are electrically powered. 

• Thanks 1