StarVR One announced

dburne

https://www.starvr.com/products/

210 degree horizontal fov, eye tracking, foveated rendering.

It will also have the new plugs that Nvidia is adapting from what I can tell.

Very interesting.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Fine and dandy but dcs world cant handle current gen efficiently enough yet let alone odyssey and vive pro.

Good to see new tech though

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

This may be geared more for the Enterprise part of the business.

Which is what they previously have been focused on.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Don B

Fine and dandy but dcs world cant handle current gen efficiently enough yet let alone odyssey and vive pro.

Good to see new tech though

But that's the whole point of foveated rendering. You only need to render where you're looking at.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Absolutely. It will be very interesting, what performance we will see with a functional eye tracking/foveated rendering.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Absolutely. It will be very interesting, what performance we will see with a functional eye tracking/foveated rendering.

Without such support built in specific game, like DCS in this forum case, is useless.

For example, there is VR SLI/CF support from GPU hardware but no practical use because it is not yet implemented in any single title. Implementation of such technology will increase performance for minimum 70% in VR. We will be able to get better performance per $ with 2x GTX 1070 than with single GTX 1080ti.

Technology is here but it is not implemented at all.

As far as i know the foveated rendering is provided by the software of the HMD itself and doesn`t need any support from the game.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

As far as i know the foveated rendering is provided by the software of the HMD itself and doesn`t need any support from the game.

I did think that I’d read that a Nvidia drivers already support it

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Hardware just gives you a possibility to implement some technology but real final implementation depend exclusively by game title for full functionality.

If this is true like you say there will be no problem than with any other technology. Take DCS and SLI/CF support what is already old technology.

At some point, DCS was had such support but it was abandoned and today we don't have it at all.

This is just a one DCS example but it goes in other titles and not just with SLI/CF.

Got to try one of these at SIGGRAPH last week. The lines for the StarVR booth were insane and I had real work to do, so I found a demo unit at an engineering visualization firm's booth and sat through the sales pitch for a chance to try it on.

Initial impressions: Holy FOV, Batman! My first "real" VR headset experience was a Fakespace Wide5 at an old job. The Wide5 is infamous for having one of the largest FOVs in VR, but at the cost of a price in the high five figures for the HMD/FPGA box -- the guy who designed and built the lenses did them one at a time in a small shop, and they're fiendishly clever. Also fiendishly expensive. You get 150+ degree FOV, at the cost of relatively low contrast and high weight. The StarVR set is close to that FOV, though! I noticed some artifacts from the fresnel in the periphery, but nothing horrible, and contrast was great!

The panels are only a bit higher-res than the Vive Pro's, and the pixels are spread out over much more space in your field of view, so angular resolution is probably on par with the OG Vive, if not slightly worse. Sadly, the type of foveated rendering they're talking about can't fix this -- you can save time by rendering lower-resolution in the periphery (in practice this means one image pixel goes to several device pixels), but you can't create extra device pixels where there are none. I want to see these optics with 8k panels and the driver/engine smarts to drive them, though! In the short term I think increasing angular resolution (ie, being able to discern smaller text, indicators, and objects) is more important to the seated simulator experience than FOV, but I am looking forward to all of this coming together!

I am not sure if the demo I saw had foveated rendering up and running or not. Framerates were reasonable -- pretty sure I was hitting 45, if not 90, the whole time in the engineering demo. I saw a few hitches but I'm not sure how much to blame the HMD and how much to blame lighthouse tracking on a tradeshow floor filled with lighthouses, or the demo I was looking at (which was not really intended for the HMD, and likely not at all optimized).

So apparently the Oculus Half-Dome prototype has a driven, sliding screen that works with an eye-tracker to produce the correct effects for accommodation (the way your eyes change focus when you look at objects at different distances). High-res panels, wide FOV optics, proper accommodation, and enough GPU compute to drive the whole mess running applications I want to run = holy grail of simulation. We might just get there!

The panels are only a bit higher-res than the Vive Pro's, and the pixels are spread out over much more space in your field of view, so angular resolution is probably on par with the OG Vive, if not slightly worse.

That's a shame. If it had the same pixel per degree as the Odyssey I was ready to buy. But at worse that the original Vive is a BIG step backwards.

I love the minimum PC requirements to drive it. We're going to have to wait for a couple of GPU cycles to see any real bump in a PPD/FOV increases.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

But at worse that the original Vive is a BIG step backwards.

I don't want to rag on it too hard -- high-res small screens are a big problem right now, and it's about as good as the Vive, but with peripheral vision. I don't want to put people off it, it's just focusing on improving a different axis (FOV) than the Vive Pro, which is all about angular res.

Also keep in mind I'm relating subjective experience from a 2-minute experience with a single demo. I don't want to make too many hard claims. I really liked it to be honest, but I want higher-res screens -- maybe that ridiculously high-res LG screen Google has talked about will come through for next gen HMDs..

Well look at it this way currently Us vr folks have the best ability to spot air tgt compared to the high res screen. So I'm fine with the current res of vr until software advances as well

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Hopefully DCS puts some effort into VR because it is growing rapidly. We had about 5 guys using VR 3 weeks ago. Over the past 3 weeks that number has grown to 18 guys using VR and growing.

It is the most realistic way to fly. I'd never use a monitor again.

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR