Is the LASTE wind profile system worth it?

HoneyBadger

I recently started looking into the A10's LASTE wind profile system but after seeing all the conversion work that needs to be done (if there's a mod that changes the brief's wind info to what the A10 understands, that would be great) so it can be entered into the CDU.

I play in VR so this is a little bit more cumbersome to do. But do you guys use this system or do you not bother?

In real life we avoid manual wind profile inputs because LASTE does a very good job sniffing the winds as we climb and applying it to its default and extrapolated wind model. We also do a "delta update" by double tapping enter on UFCP (not modeled) before employing at the range for example to allow IFFCC to correct for altimeter error and "sniffed" baro alt vs. GPS alt. If everything works properly, it should not be necessary.

Habu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Depends on my loadout if i bother with laste manual entries. I don't carry dumb bombs at all really, so the only time i would set up the wind is if i am using CBU-87/97, but even then I'm usually dropping them quite low so it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference..

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

It only really matters if you drop dumb bombs from a 'high' altitude. High is not really defined as an exact number as it depends on winds at certain altitudes etc. So in general, you should be good without it.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• 2 years later...