Canadian Warships

Chukk

I'm interested in possibly putting some of my Canadian Warships models in the game. Some of them are low poly (HMCS Bonaventure, HMCS Protecteur and HMCS Halifax) the rest are not.

A few questions though.

First question, what are the polygon limits for DCS ships?

Is the EDM plugging working with 3dsmax 2017?

Finally, what are the texture sizes?(2048x2048?) I imagine there is color, bump and alpha correct?

39592575152_a27f91634a_h.jpg

24814907347_9d45c54c3e_h.jpg

• Like 3

No poly count that I am aware of but the higher the polys, the bigger frame rate hit.

Texture size will effect edm size.

Plug in only works up to Max 2016.

If you wish help exporting them, or any other questions, pm me.

I would be happy to help.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

Sweet, now we need Vampires for the Bonny!!!

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Man, that looks great. Definitely a mod I'd be into.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Looking great :thumbup:

Poly count wise, my carrier is just over 15K (without the ramp and finished island and damage model, not even the hull is completed yet) and it'll probably increase to to around 25 - 30K. Will try to max it at 30K.

remember you can add LODs which can help.

You could go up to 4096x4096 if you want.

Diffuse

Spec

Normal

But with PBR it'll change

p.s.

The new carriers ED are making will be the benchmark.

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Thanks Joey45.

I'm going to get the EDM plugging working then make sure my models are optimize and view able in the model viewer. At that point I will be dead in the water. I'm OK with the LOD's it the damage model and animations that will be the learning curve. Oh don't even mention programming,,,,,that stuff scares me! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bonny was Centaur class, so with a bit of paintwork I could convert her to HMS Albion or HMS Bulwark - 2 British LPH's of the 1960-80's.

(Not to be confused with the current HMS Albion or Bulwark - LPD's)

So, if you convert her to get her in the game make another model with a different skin ref for the flight deck, remove the wires, and I will do the rest.

How is this project going? I would really love to see the Bonnie available. I was thinking of taking the Aromanches mod and repainting it as the Bonnie ( and the Maggie for that matter) but I think I like your model better.

The tracker looks amazing. Although there isn't a Banshee there is a carrier capable F9F Panther and with a fictional RCN skin we could get VF 870 and VF 871 up and flying.

I for one would love to get more ships into the game I have another LHD model that I want to get into the game but don't know how to convert it. I have 3ds max 2010 installed and blender. If anyone could kinda help me through it I could get some much needed ship models into the game.

Bonny was Centaur class, so with a bit of paintwork I could convert her to HMS Albion or HMS Bulwark - 2 British LPH's of the 1960-80's.

(Not to be confused with the current HMS Albion or Bulwark - LPD's)

So, if you convert her to get her in the game make another model with a different skin ref for the flight deck, remove the wires, and I will do the rest.

Bonnie, HMCS Bonaventure, was a Majestic Class that was completed with an angled flight deck instead of the straight deck originally planned and an optical landing system.

Repainted she could pass for HMAS Melborne, INS Vikrant (before the ramp) and if you squint as NAeL Minas Gerais, Arromanches andHNLMS Karel Doorman (R81).

Centaur Class would be quite a bit bigger.

Bonnie, HMCS Bonaventure, was a Majestic Class that was completed with an angled flight deck instead of the straight deck originally planned and an optical landing system.

Repainted she could pass for HMAS Melborne, INS Vikrant (before the ramp) and if you squint as NAeL Minas Gerais, Arromanches andHNLMS Karel Doorman (R81).

Centaur Class would be quite a bit bigger.

Sorry, got my ship Classes mixed up. She was originally built as HMS Powerful, part of the second batch of Colossus Class Carriers, never completed as such. Finished and sold to Canada as Majestic Class, as you know.

Differences in size and weight allowing (100ft and about 6000 tons) she could still pass for the 2 old UK LPH's, just, but HMAS Melbourne would be good, and we might see some A4's sometime soon.

INS Vikrant (before the ramp)

[/size]

Vikrant (ex Hercules) didn't have a ramp..

You're thinking of INS Viraat (ex Hermes) https://i.imgur.com/pwNcm2f.jpg

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Vikrant (ex Hercules) didn't have a ramp..

You're thinking of INS Viraat (ex Hermes) https://i.imgur.com/pwNcm2f.jpg

On this I admit I am just going by the internet since I have no other reliable sources on the fate of RN carriers after they went to India but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Vikrant_(R11)

"Vikrant did not see much service after the war, and was given two major modernisation refits—the first one from 1979 to 1981 and the second one from 1987 to 1989.[25] In the first phase, her boilers, radars, communication systems and anti-aircraft guns were modernised, and facilities to operate Sea Harriers were installed.[26] In the second phase, facilities to operate the new Sea Harrier Vertical/Short Take Off and Land (V/STOL) fighter aircraft and the new Sea King Mk 42B Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) helicopters were introduced. A 9.75-degree ski-jump ramp was fitted."

Anyway, it would be an interesting addition to the Persian Gulf map in scenarios up to 1987

Edited by 71st_AH Rob

• 3 weeks later...

40365729232_7c81c2cfe9_h.jpgWell the Bonnie model is a very old model I made for "Strike Fighter". That said I felt it necessary to upgrade the old girl and take advantage of alpha,normal and PBR texture. Plus up the Poly count from 10,000 to somewhere around 30,000. So for a start you can see the High poly 3"50 gun mount that are complete and currently being rendered and reduced to low poly.

40365729232_7c81c2cfe9_h.jpg

24uYUYQ