Tanks smoke launcher not usable ?!

Satarosa

• 1 month later...

The AI can not use smoke launchers for cover. What you are seeing is Active Reactive Armor plates detonating when vehicles get hit.

Try firing a .50 cal at enemy tanks or place enemies with high caliber MG's or cannons near your own tank, and position yousrself to show them your rear end.

They will shoot their cannons/MG's at you, and you will see your reactive armor detonate and create a smoke cloud.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

The AI can not use smoke launchers for cover.

Your statement is incorrect and yes they can. I have coded enough ground vehicle mods to use smoke launchers to know that they have that ability.

To evidence this simply:

1. Open up the challenger tank edm in the model viewer.

2. Select show connectors.

You will the see the connectors attributed to the launching of smoke canisters. :thumbup:

Edited by SUNTSAG

Callsign: NAKED

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Allright. Connectors in the model viewer doesn't really mean anything. Unless it is a coded action in the actual simulator, it might as well just be a "preparation" for future content.

But let me re-phrase my previous statement.

I have never ever seen any unit in DCS World, use smoke launchers.

Neither AI vehicles of any type, or player controlled.

But I have seen reactive armour getting triggered alot, and it is a common misunderstanding that this is smoke launchers.

"Your pumping days are over, Megatron!" -Optimus Prime

"This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence" -Vyvian

Allright. Connectors in the model viewer doesn't really mean anything. Unless it is a coded action in the actual simulator, it might as well just be a "preparation" for future content.

But let me re-phrase my previous statement.

I have never ever seen any unit in DCS World, use smoke launchers.

Neither AI vehicles of any type, or player controlled.

But I have seen reactive armour getting triggered alot, and it is a common misunderstanding that this is smoke launchers.

Let me be very succinct and forthright in my response:

1. Which part of my experience in coding ground vehicles did you fail to recognise?

2. Smoke is coded for armoured vehicles as I have used it! Have you?

3. Too many people here try and spread misinformation and fake news..... smoke does exist full stop.

4. Know your subject matter is key when responding. Anecdotal comments do not cut the mustard.

5. Check the lua files and prove me wrong.

This may come across as a tad brutal but I do tire of people thinking they know something when they don't....... especially when they don't have firsthand experience. This is happening all too often in the forums recently. Sometimes it amuses me but in this particular instance, I can bite my tongue no longer.

It is you that has the misunderstanding not other posting here.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instead of bragging like a 12 yo over your experience maybe you could explain us how to use it ?

There is no bragging taking place I am reserved about the things I do. All I have done is highlight an inaccuracy based on experience nothing more nothing less. I deal in fact not fiction so your comment is unwarranted.

My YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The way the smoke works is that any weapon that actually damages the vehicle with the ability to pop smoke will cause it to do so. If you hit the vehicle with a weapon that kills it outright it will not pop smoke. Also if you hit the vehicle with weapons that do no damage it will also not pop smoke. It is completely controlled by the AI and works even if you take direct control of the vehicle. As far as I can tell it has no real defensive value, and is more of a special effect.

Your statement is incorrect and yes they can. I have coded enough ground vehicle mods to use smoke launchers to know that they have that ability.

To evidence this simply:

1. Open up the challenger tank edm in the model viewer.

2. Select show connectors.

You will the see the connectors attributed to the launching of smoke canisters. :thumbup:

thanks Sr. for the info

if you don't mind will be nice to see some pictures (or video) of your coded smoke. :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is what I would like to see in DCS.

A actually working smoke screen, its usefulness depending lots of the wind.

Now it is just silly to see the quick smoke just as an placeholder "it is there" and not proactive but result of getting hit.

And that all should be affecting to every IR maverick or even laser guided maverick if the vehicle can launch a IR smoke screen.

AI to have logic to launch smoke screen and then move a little or to secondary position would be great feature too, as it would make every strafe less effective when you can't see the target in last seconds of attack.

It would as well make huge difference to example Vikhr deployment as it doesn't get affected at all like IR or laser guided mavericks would get because the guidance comes from the launching platform that doesn't rely seeing the target, but you would be guiding manually the missile so if the target moves when you lose contrast lock, you will miss target.

BUT, all this should be time era dependent for the mission. So 1978 mission would not have same capabilities as 2005 mission. That is huge challenge for the ED to make the ground units "modifications" for so.

Of course the smoke screen is mainly visual effect with tactical element and usefulness, but it requires couple things first to be correctly implemented.

1) Weather system that is affecting to it and all sensors (targeting pods, cameras etc)

2) AI logic to use them correctly (launch before getting hit, spotting enemies, missiles etc as threat and reacting to them with smoke screens, preparing attacks and defensive positions with smokes etc). And AI logic to actually able spot the target/threat correctly (vision cones, communication, reaction delays etc).

And both of those requirements are huge!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 3 months later...
For make that "realistic", can require build new 3D effects similarly to the new 3D explosions and implement grenade launch animations and 3D objects (Has a "grenade" 3D object on DCS).

+1

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...