Air-Air Refueling

muehlema

But I am pretty happy with myself! If I can do it you can!

Glad you got the hang of it! :thumbup:

I did eventually succeed in Falcon 4 with the F-16 FLCS and TQS, but man that was hard to accomplish! Also had the Cougar later on and it made a huge difference.

Refueling the A-10C with the Warthog, all the previous training started to pay off. It still took a *lot* of practice, but by now it works well most of the time.

And the Hornet, wow, that aircraft is a *joy* to refuel! Good visibility on probe and tanker, lots of leeway after the connect, and excellent stability in formation flying. I'm certainly far from being a pro in AAR with the Hornet, but following the good old "practice, practice, practice" mantra sure doesn't hurt. ;)

In any case, I still remember how insanely impossible AAR used to feel, and how it somehow "clicked" after many frustrating hours, and I enjoy every second of a good connect because I know just how much work has gone into this. :thumbup:

The Warthog is a terrible stick, so I tip my hat to you for managing to AA refuel with it!

What is it with people bashing the Warthog all of a sudden? Yes, it does have its shortcomings, these have been well documented for a long time, but "terrible"? I absolutely love mine, and that's after 6 years of more or less heavy use!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:music_whistling:

No offence taken!

Thrustmaster market the Warthog as a high end product, so I just felt conned when I opened it up the stick to see how cheap and nasty it was. When people praise it, I can't help do a PSA to let them know; and that there are far better sticks out there. Glad you like it though!

Anywhoo, carry on regarding AA refueling :music_whistling:

Let me guess, we should all be using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. lol I can't think of a stick that is better than the Warthog...

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I posted this in the DCS 2.5/Bugs forum, but today's patch makes the S-3 take a steep dive after you make contact. It will impact into the water in the PG and Caucasus instant action missions.

Jared

-----

FalconNW MachV, HOTAS Warthog, FSSB R3, RS TUSBA, TWCS, Oculus Rift

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Seconded!

Maybe this is just added difficulty. :)

Initially thought the Tanker is just doing some radical altitude adjustment, almost followed him all the way down...

I posted this in the DCS 2.5/Bugs forum, but today's patch makes the S-3 take a steep dive after you make contact. It will impact into the water in the PG and Caucasus instant action missions.

Same here

i7 6700k/GTX1070-8G/MSI-Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon/32GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX PREDATOR DDR4 3000MHZ Vengeance 1600/TM Warthog #6106/Samsung SB350_S27B350H/OCZ Agility3 SSD 128GB / Win10-64/TIR5

So I got myself up to speed with refuelling with help from all the community's you tube videos and my good squad mate Yoda's close tutelage, I asked him to get me up to speed and he really did, and no he didn't even have to use 'the force', I just got it, so now I am training the rest of The Flying Kiwis to try and get us all up to speed. Tonight we actually ran a KC130 out of gas! We pecked away at it for several refuels and all of a sudden it flew off and was no longer available. That is a fist pumping "YES" if I have ever seen one!

Just hoping to inspire the guys who are still trying to master this very stressful endeavour, once you really click with it it almost becomes a relief rather than a stress.

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

AAR is very easy in VR

Edited by BoneDust
1st_CVW_EDsig.png.1f2be0eb45d45098d3777965a273c030.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

So is there no sign of the "Kamikaze" S3 tanker AI pilots being fixed in the Instant Access A2A refueling missions, in PG and Caucusus maps?

Whatever has been changed in one of the recent patches has apparently caused an issue with these missions.

Edit: never mind. it looks like someone goofed on the orbit altitude for the S3 in the .miz file, for the Caucusus mission at least. On waypoint 1 or 2, there is an orbit command with 8000ft as its parameter, when it looked like it should be 15,000ft, to match the starting altitude. The dive into the ocean rather than it sticking at 8,000ft is probably just the AI getting very confused. either way, a quick edit, to change the altitude to 15,000, followed by a quick test flight and it appears to sort the issue.

Edited by Greyman

I used to be able to A2A but recently I just cannot seem to get into the groove anymore, I seem to develop a yaw and then of course that usually results in PIO

Just seem to have difficulty lining up, as I approach the nearer I get the more off line I appear to be

It's so weird before I could approach and although far from 100% I was connecting perhaps 3 out of 4, now 1 in 10 (if I'm lucky)

I seem to develop a yaw and then of course that usually results in PIO

Since you should never ever touch the rudder during formation flying/refueling, where does the yaw come from? Feet off the pedals on the floor?

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

Is there a fix for the S-3 suicide Air-refuel mission or what!

Not yet... :(

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

not unless you want to spend about 5 minutes editing the mission file, which is where the problem appears to be and not in the code.

It's a very simple change and appears to work perfectly thereafter

Edit: To save you doing the edit, i've attached a fixed version, where the S3 should stay at 15,000ft and i've also stuck an ICLS on the carrier, at channel 1, so that you can combine the refueling session with a bit of ICLS carrier landing practice. I'm sure that ED will fix it, but in the meantime, this should suffice.

Amended Caucasus FA-18C Aerial Refueling.miz

Edited by Greyman

Since you should never ever touch the rudder during formation flying/refueling, where does the yaw come from? Feet off the pedals on the floor?

I'll be dammed if I know, I recal'd the throttle, even tried just using one axis for both, checked the rudder, both in a program and using the controls settings.

Feet on the floor

Everything is centered.

Stick is bang on I'm using a VKB

Got curves on the stick and rudder and a deadband on the rudder

It's not a huge yaw just a gradual drift as I approach enough that I need to correct then it goes from bad to worse from there, I just cannot seem to line up and stay there.

It feels like something has changed, but as nobody else seems to be seeing the problem it looks like it's exclusive to me

Cross wind has no effect as both aircraft are moving through the same air mass.

What does the control display (ctrl + enter) show. Any displacement of rudder or engines? Are your engines even, a thrust differential between them will give a yawing moment.

Cross wind has no effect as both aircraft are moving through the same air mass.

What does the control display (ctrl + enter) show. Any displacement of rudder or engines? Are your engines even, a thrust differential between them will give a yawing moment.

and the AI pilot would presumably be applying some opposite rudder to keep on course

and the AI pilot would presumably be applying some opposite rudder to keep on course

I don't think that any AI plane has to fight with asymmetrical thrust. I you are talking about the crosswind component, except on short final you never correct crosswind with rudder.

Edited by bbrz

My point was that the ai plane would correct for a crosswind to remain on the course that the mission designer had set. To also retain that heading, the player pilot would also need to correct and if they didn't an unwanted heading relative to the tanker would result.

It was just a suggestion that might have explained the issue. If it doesn't then fine, but maybe you can suggest an alternative?

My point was that the ai plane would correct for a crosswind to remain on the course that the mission designer had set. To also retain that heading, the player pilot would also need to correct and if they didn't an unwanted heading relative to the tanker would result.

You don't correct/change the heading with the rudder (at a low AoA). With the rudder you only turn the nose, but the plane (initially) continues on the original track. For any heading change you need to bank.