How to Deploy Missile Uncage

Shahriar0

Hi,

I have the most basic question about the operation of Missile Uncage. The manual states that:

"Continue the target approach until seeker lock-on audio tone is heard. Push and hold MISSILE UNCAGE switch |RShift + M| after seeker lock-on to facilitate maneuvering to advantageous attack position. After the position is taken, push BOMB-ROCKET button to initiate launch |RAlt + Space|."

With the keywords being Push and Hold, how come missile does not fire when Missile Uncage key (bound successfully to my Hotas and visually operating) is selected and held while missile fire key is simultaneity pushed!? Missile only fires when I release the Missile Uncage button - which obviously means the seeker-head will only straight forward and in a lead pursuit will lose lock.

I also know Missile Uncage actually works, because once I move the target off the reticle while holding the button, the lock is maintained in the time specified in the manual. My problem seems to be how to fire missile! Finally, I have tried using keyboard shortcuts and result is the same.

Thanks,

Shahriar

Inside the X52 utility, I can test the keys and see that HOSTAS is sending the right commands. When press and holding RShift-M, those keys keep getting sent and then when I press the RAlt-Space, that's what is sent repeatedly. Not sure, how DCS is interpreting them inside the game. Under the control. I don't have anything defined or changed.

I played with changing the Button to Macro and Advanced Buttons for X52, but none worked. I have to say two things have surprised me so far, 1) F-5E developers did not pick a key for Missile Uncage that would not have this conflict to begin with, 2) It seems everyone else is an expert have already solved this on their HOTAS and I am the only person who is struggling to get this done!

Not that it made any sense to me whatsoever, but out of desperation, I went ahead and deleted the Missile Uncage button from my X-52 profile, and defined it under the Controls inside DCS. It worked!! I don't understand why but it did.

Obviously I see this as a workaround and not a good solution as I prefer to have all my keys defined in 'one' place, be it X-52 utility or inside DCS. For me, X-52 provides far more flexibility compare to the DCS. For example, I can make a slider or a rotary knob function as a band and define keys/actions in different percentages of the band as I wish.

At any case, I have a solution, and now I can finally see whether all the debates about using or dissing missile uncage has any merit to it or not!

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it much simpler to have a single Logitech (/Saitek) profile for DCS, and set up the controls in each DCS module. It allows DCS to look directly for DirectX events from the HOTAS, rather than an interim step requiring virtual key presses. No clashes between modifiers. And the bonus that I don't need to mess with different Logitech profiles.

Have a look at a post I made some time ago...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=199177

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Not that it made any sense to me whatsoever, but out of desperation, I went ahead and deleted the Missile Uncage button from my X-52 profile, and defined it under the Controls inside DCS. It worked!! I don't understand why but it did.

Obviously I see this as a workaround and not a good solution as I prefer to have all my keys defined in 'one' place, be it X-52 utility or inside DCS. For me, X-52 provides far more flexibility compare to the DCS. For example, I can make a slider or a rotary knob function as a band and define keys/actions in different percentages of the band as I wish.

At any case, I have a solution, and now I can finally see whether all the debates about using or dissing missile uncage has any merit to it or not!

Thanks.

Shahriar0,

Can you define, in the X-52 profile, the button press as a DX button press?

In the TARGET script editor I have that option. I found I was having the same issue, no response for Missile_Uncage command. I couldn't launch either. Must be a conflict, right?

I tried assigning Missile_Uncage to "M" , thanks Jenrick, and keeping my Weapon Release command to Alt_SPACE. I can at least launch a missile now. I still don't know if the Missile_Uncage command is working. I don't know what to look for. I get a lockon tone, but I don't know if that's because I pointing right at the target or if the seeker head is in fact "uncaged".

More testing!

I will be trying my DX button script tonight.

Night Ops in the Harrier

IYAOYAS

X-52 STT can have a DX button. You just have to leave that command blank and it defaults to a DX button.

You can check uncage by flying behind a target to get tone and then steering away and noting at what angle the tone stops. If uncage is held then the angle will be much larger than uncage not held.

Sorry, I am not familiar with the DX and TARGET terminologies! I did a quick search and all the results were related to Thrustmaster. I looked in the Logitech software/profile manager and didn't see any references to DX, so not sure how I can test this.

BTW, isn't M already assigned for cockpit mirror? If it is, then I rather not to use it. At any case, moving the uncage from X52 profile to DCS worked for me and I'm happy about it.

Thanks,.

Concerning the use of Missile Uncage, some source states that the Uncage should be done AFTER locking, while other sources says BEFORE locking. My own game experience is that Uncaging BEFORE the lock allows to catch and lock a target that is not directly on the piper. Maybe some real world pilots could comment the use of Missile Uncage?

Concerning the use of Missile Uncage, some source states that the Uncage should be done AFTER locking, while other sources says BEFORE locking. My own game experience is that Uncaging BEFORE the lock allows to catch and lock a target that is not directly on the piper. Maybe some real world pilots could comment the use of Missile Uncage?

Say you have more than one target in your field of view. If you uncage first then get a lock tone, which target did the seeker lock on?

Say you have more than one target in your field of view. If you uncage first then get a lock tone, which target did the seeker lock on?

There would be no way to know until the targets change aspect, at least no cockpit indication in the F5, that’s why you want to wait till you have a lock first then uncage.

Because if the missile is uncaged before, it could snag anything in its FOV and you wouldn’t be able to tell

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

Uncaged seekers tend to float away to find the sun or sun reflecting off clouds. The seeker will often be at angle limits off axis if uncaged for a while without a target to hold its attention. It's best to get tone before uncaging. You could imaging pointing your jet at a target and getting no tone because seeker is trying to find the sun 30 degrees up and to the right.