UH-1H Throttle at startup

SchniX

Hi all

There is something that is not clear for me, in the startup procedure of the UH-1H the throttle should be fully closed, so there is no fuel flow at all, right? so how it is possible to start the engine without fuel? and the throttle remains closed till 40% N1. or i missing something? maybe there is another system that supply fuel for the startup? maybe it's the governor that bypass the fully closed throttle?

But, in real life it works i guess, the engine is starting up when the throttle is fully closed(past the idle stop), but in DCS UH-1H if you fully closing the throttle(past the idle stop) the engine won't start.

So, why in real life the engine starts when the throttle is fully closed? and why in DCS UH-1H the engine won't start when the throttle is fully closed?

for example, i know that in the Bell 206, first you fully closing the throttle(past the idle stop) and pressing and holding the starter, and at a given N1(at about 15%, depends the temps) you open the throttle to idle to able fuel for the startup, so how is it works in the UH-1H?

Thx

You need to open the throttle till it reaches the stop, this takes it out of the off position. Then roll it back closed, this takes it back to idle. Then hold start button till as you say it reaches 40%. let go start button and wait a moment before opening throttle fully

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

for example, i know that in the Bell 206, first you fully closing the throttle(past the idle stop) and pressing and holding the starter, and at a given N1(at about 15%, depends the temps) you open the throttle to idle to able fuel for the startup, so how is it works in the UH-1H?

Thx

This is what I do, works like a charm.

LG 34UC97 34" 3440x1440 monitor | 2x GTX-980 G1 Gaming

I7-5820k @ 3.3GHz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 2133Mhz

Samsung 840 EVO 120GB & 1TB SSDs | Seagate 3TB HDD

TM Warthog | Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals

You dont roll the throttle fully closed at start up.

Ideally you first check full throttle range, roll it fully open, roll it fully closed (with idle stop button pressed).

Then you roll it back open past the idle stop, roll it back against the idle stop, press the idle stop and just roll it a few degrees past the stop (towards the decrease side).

To quote the manual:

[...]

Throttle - Set for start. Position throttle as near as possible (on decrese side) to engine idle stop.

[...]

That way the engine gets fuel for start up (throttle being more or less at idle position),

and in the event of a failure you can quickly roll the throttle fully closed without having to tinker with the idle stop first

(since you already are on the decrease side of the stop).

Greetings

MadCat

• 4 years later...
You dont roll the throttle fully closed at start up.

Ideally you first check full throttle range, roll it fully open, roll it fully closed (with idle stop button pressed).

Then you roll it back open past the idle stop, roll it back against the idle stop, press the idle stop and just roll it a few degrees past the stop (towards the decrease side).

To quote the manual:

[...]

Throttle - Set for start. Position throttle as near as possible (on decrese side) to engine idle stop.

[...]

That way the engine gets fuel for start up (throttle being more or less at idle position),

and in the event of a failure you can quickly roll the throttle fully closed without having to tinker with the idle stop first

(since you already are on the decrease side of the stop).

Greetings

MadCat

Hi Madcat, it’s a few years old now but thanks for the clear and concise explanation. Sometimes we need to know why before understanding. Cheers.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.