LGBs and the TGP - Firing the laser after or before pickle?

obious

Hi All,

Pretty straightforward question, I noticed that a few LGBs I dropped yesterday during a late night sortie were only hitting their mark when I fired the laser from the TGP after pickling/release.

I noticed if I’d fired the laser prior to pickle/release, the LGBs would just fall to the ground and miss the target

Is this intense behaviour or am I missing something?

Cheers

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

It should work either way, so most probably a bug.

However, firing the laser right from the drop might sometimes cause the bomb not to have enough energy to reach the target, especially if dropping from very high altitudes, like 20 000ft or higher. To my knowledge it seems to be best to start lasing 10-12 seconds before impact.

Edited by chrisofsweden

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

I usually stick to what works in the A-10: lase ~10 secs prior to impact.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

Hi, so the delivery of the bomb could either be done through Auto or CCIP mode (or manual), the only thing is that you basically deliver the bombs as accurate as possible. The laser is for the terminal part of the flight and as stated above, about 10 to 15 seconds before impact.

The reason for this is that the guidance of the bomb is full deflection only which means that it will sort of bounce down a laser corridor to the target. If the guidance starts to early the bomb might go out of energy to reach the target and fall short.

So, drop’em as accurately as possible, do a left/right 45deg turn or so to make sure the view of the pod is clear, turn on the laser 10-15 sec prior to impact. The time to impact is in the hud TTI.

Good luck!

Hi, so the delivery of the bomb could either be done through Auto or CCIP mode (or manual), the only thing is that you basically deliver the bombs as accurate as possible. The laser is for the terminal part of the flight and as stated above, about 10 to 15 seconds before impact.

The reason for this is that the guidance of the bomb is full deflection only which means that it will sort of bounce down a laser corridor to the target. If the guidance starts to early the bomb might go out of energy to reach the target and fall short.

So, drop’em as accurately as possible, do a left/right 45deg turn or so to make sure the view of the pod is clear, turn on the laser 10-15 sec prior to impact. The time to impact is in the hud TTI.

Good luck!

Ahh that makes a lot of sense, thanks! Do you know if we’ll be getting a TTI notification for JDAMs at all?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Is there currently a bug with the LGBs when using the TGP? I've tried a few times just now and only 1 out of about 5 LGBs hit their intended target, all the rest just over shot!

Anyone experiencing the same?

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Yes, there is a known bug in regards to higher altitude drops. I am not sure where it starts off in terms of height though. You can swap to CCIP a bit early and release or fly lower (during practice). You can tell it’s going to go long if you haven’t hit the release point yet, but notice the TGP is nearly looking straight down (in which case, don’t release and make another pass).

See this post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3995623&postcount=24

Edited by Tiburtius
Reference post

My Rig:

CPU: i9-9900k - Corsair H150 Cooler. RAM: 32GB, 3200Mhz.

Mobo: Asus MAXIMUS Formula XI - Main Drive: 512GB NvME SSD

DCS Drive: 512GB NvME SSD - Graphics: GTX 1070 Ti. Display: 23" 1080p LG LCD.

Input: Razer Naga & Blackwidow Ultimate, TrackIR 5, HOTAS Warthog & MFDs (x4), Saitek Rudder Pedals, TurtleBeach PX22 Headset.