Gtx 1080 Slow!!!

Soooo disappointed :(

Got my MSI 1080 gaming X today.. and I saw no difference really in DCS compared to my old 970. 50fps on minimum settings. I have a 2600k 4.6Gz

I am running it though the rift.

Soooo disappointed :(

Got my MSI 1080 gaming X today.. and I saw no difference really in DCS compared to my old 970. 50fps on minimum settings. I have a 2600k 4.6Gz

I am running it though the rift.

Your CPU is not that new any more. Almost 6 years. The perfromance focus is on the gpu in most cases but sometimes a computer acts like a chain, which is only as strong as its weakest link. So the CPU should be the first aspect for troubleshooting.

Btw I guess DCS needs always a lot CPU performance to render this large amount of ground objects.

Edited by PicksKing

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gainward RTX 2080 OC | i7 8700K OC | 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3600 MHz | MSI Z370-A PRO | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

Your CPU is not that new any more. Almost 6 years

Well, 6 years and not even 25% performance increase according to this test ? ...sad.

I agree it might be worth it when building new rig (lower power consumption, etc.), but as an upgrade it is a waste of money.

The cpu can still swim :) I have a cpu load of 20%

I only feel that fsx is cpu hungry but maybe I am missing something. I have cv1. I am running 2.0.

Tried max setting and pixel overide 2, 80% gpu 23%cpu and 44fps.

Well, 6 years and not even 25% performance increase according to this test ? ...sad.

I agree it might be worth it when building new rig (lower power consumption, etc.), but as an upgrade it is a waste of money.

I completly agree. No point in upgrading unless someone can prove us wrong :)

1080 isn't slow, just that DCS is completely CPU bottlenecked. Yeah, CPUs haven't improved much in the last few years, pretty disappointing there.

Use the 1080's excess power to crank up the settings that load the GPU but not the CPU; pixel density, HDR, AA, filtering, etc.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Same in FSX by the way. Even the most ridiculously overpowered hardware can't run it really smooth.

So yeah, not your fault neither your graphics card's.

The only sad thing is that we could have told you before you bought such an expensive thing if you had asked before. :(

Switching from anything faster than a 960 to a 10xx isn't worth it for DCSW IMO.

EDIT: Also funny that you call your 970 "old". I still call my 770 "the new one" :D

Give NTTR a chance, I bet you will see 99% GPU usage from time to time ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Same in FSX by the way. Even the most ridiculously overpowered hardware can't run it really smooth.

So yeah, not your fault neither your graphics card's.

The only sad thing is that we could have told you before you bought such an expensive thing if you had asked before. :(

Switching from anything faster than a 960 to a 10xx isn't worth it for DCSW IMO.

EDIT: Also funny that you call your 970 "old". I still call my 770 "the new one" :D

Hehe yeah I guess it's not old.

Well I can actually return it. We in Sweden have a very nice policy when you buy things online. The question is if I /we can hope they will fix this soon? I'm sure the card is super but I bought it (haven't paid yet though) mostly because of dcs. So should I keep it or not?

Give NTTR a chance, I bet you will see 99% GPU usage from time to time ;)

This!

... or wait for the 2.0 / 1.5 merge into DCS 2.5, which will see some more EDGE (ED's new 3D engine) improvements from what I understand. Even though 1.5.x runs on EDGE, it's a non-optimized version of the old map.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

This!

Even though 1.5.x runs on EDGE, it's a non-optimized version of the old map.

Agree with this, I think once the new modified Caucasus map for Edge gets pushed into I guess 2.5 we will see a nice improvement in GPU usage. There are missions in 1.5 that I start out with only like 30% GPU usage. That's a lot of graphics power that is not being utilized.

DCS2 Open Alpha uses much more of the GPU overall.

As soon as I can get an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW come available, I am going to pick one of those puppies up. Been a long time since I have bought a flagship card.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I only feel that fsx is cpu hungry but maybe I am missing something. I have cv1. I am running 2.0.

This mistake people keep making just keeps driving me crazy. CPU load on multithreaded CPUs is a useless value, that does not indicate any sort of headroom for gaming performance. Firstly that percentage represent total CPU package utilization, and low numbers indicate unused cores/threads. Games that aren't specifically written with multi-threading in mind will never max your CPU, but that percentage represents a maxxed core/thread with nothing left to give. Everything your computer runs, maxes out the "CPU" for the duration the work requires, as far as the number threads it can address.

Ah sooo nice.

I fired up DCS 1.5 everything on max except trees and vis radius(will try that later)

Pixel ov. 2.0

I don't know how to post a picture here but...

It says 90fps :) :)

CPU (the right core) 61%

GPU 93%

I really thought that 2.0 would be better but apperantly not.

I have been trying to figure out what is "Pixel ov 2.0", but I don't get it yet....

In oculus sdk which you can download. You can set a pixel overide from 0 to 2 or more, not sure if that will benefit. But 2 let you have a better pictue. But it is also more demanding on gpu.

You can also see the fps and performance headroom with this tool.

I guess pixel override is like supersampling. That's what i have read.

Most video games (yes some might prefer the word Simulator for DCS....) do not really make use of multiple cores, but instead have one main Thread (and maybe a few secondarys, but they do not really matter) in which most of the computing is done. So although your CPU is at, say, 25%, it is bottlenecking your System, because only the Single Core Performance really matters.

But I dont know how well optimized the Current DCS versions are in that aspect, so its just a guess.

OS: Win10 | Hardware: Z97 Mainboard, i7 4790k @4Ghz, GTX980, 4x4GB DDR3-1600 Dual Channel Ram, TM Warthog (w/ Extension) + Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, TIR5 with Custom Clip

Hey guys, just from what i've experienced, with the current caucasus map (1.5) with my current setup i get as low as 40 fps in the coastal cities with maxed out settings. BUT for DCS 2.0, with everything maxed out, the lowest i get is around 60 fps in the heart of vegas and that's with Civ traffic maxed out and everything.

All i can assume is that the newer maps like NTTR use a new terrain and maximimze the EDGE graphics engine. Whereas the caucasus map we use for 1.5 is still the old terrain engine and stuff that still uses more cpu and than gpu? But anyways, i think it's best that we wait (patiently) for what ED comes up when they have the new Caucasus map with the new terrain engine etc. for the DCS 2.5 merge. Until then, we have to deal with what we have I guess:)

• Like 1

PINOY PRIDE!!!

System Specs: i7-4790, Windows 7 64-Bit, ECS L337 Z87H3-A3X Mobo, HyperX Fury 32Gb, Nvidia Titan (Pascal), TM Warthog and TFRPedals, TrackIR 5

I've been looking at GPU-Z while running DCS in MIG-21bis module. I am using fairly high settings, 2x pixel density and can still get 40-60fps (I'm capping the FPS at 58 but it jumps bit above that). The video card is around 70-90% utilized on GPU, some 4.8GB of vRAM in use. Its decent card for DCS and high resolutions (4K or VR and increase pixel density)

No longer active in DCS...

Wow just got my Gainward gtx 1080 GLH edition installed. It completely owns dcs 2.0 in Nevada. Vegas is uber smooth now!! In 4K don't have a vr yet huge improvement over the 980!

Edited by Enduro14

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

my gtx 1080 is eating everything alive vs my old gpu, but with DCS not much changeand bad utilisation

DCS DEVS PLEASE LOOK AT THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But how is it in 1.5 for you? I have 90 in 1.5 but exactly half in 2.0, 45fps.