Camera Smoothing, Subtle Motion Blur

terminator363

I think DCS 2.5 has a jittery nature even at 60fps. If camera smoothing was implemented a lot of that jitteriness would disappear. Also, to generate a better sense of speed ground objects (static objects) should blur slightly like in newer racing/driving simulators such as GT5 or Fernbus Simulator. I think it would create a great sense of immersion while reducing perceived stutter.

Happy Bug Hunting!

• 3 months later...
  • ED Team

Well implemented motion blur that doesn't eat frames itself helps smooth out motion at low framerates. This is what Crysis did and it's why it was playable at 25 FPS back in the day. I hope they implement it, if BMS does it so can DCS.

Yes. Smoothing should be there so when you are turning head or something fast is happening, you couldn't see all perfectly stationary.

That is why in video it is called "Cinema look" where it ain't 24 FPS that is the key, but 1/24 or 1/48 shutter speed as it blurs the faster action and it blends fast motion to look smooth.

This actually explains it fairly well: https://www.surfacedstudio.com/tutorials/shutter-angle-tutorial

So in gaming what we really want is to add a motion blur so low FPS doesn't cause troubles. But our visual tracking is weaker. Why a higher FPS with no blur is better as we can more better track a object in each frame.

Some games really abuse that as "special effect" making blurring so bad that you can't see anything when the camera is turning.

If we could example see a passing F-16 about 100m from our side as grey blurred object, it would be far more realistic than seeing a sharp F-16 in 25 FPS in extreme sharpness as it would be more like a slideshow.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

The camera doesn't need smoothing and motion blur would just add to the fight for FPS.

There are several reasons for the different stuttering we have in DCS and motionblur wouldn't fix any of those.

Regarding one kind of micro stutter...flight simulators have slow constant motion on screen and are due to that more sensitive to perfect and constant frame rate matching your refresh rate.

When you manage that DCS is perfect smooth.

If not then you get frame drops and motion-blur wouldn't help.

The only situation I can see motion-blur adding something is when you very quickly turn your head to check your six.

Then even with perfect constant 60fps it won't seem smooth because you split a 160 degree camera pan into ~5 frames.

However the motion-blur effect will probably reduce your fps and consistency overall and lower your experience outside of quick head turns.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274