Improvement needed: Radar Limitation with Narrow Azimuth Scan in RWS

Crickett

Improvement Suggestion Ref.: Narrow Azimuth Scan in RWS Mode and its current Limitations

I have been waiting for this improvement of the F/A-18C Radar for a long time. But it is not coming. I just hope this is not an oversight:

Normally, a pilot when searching for Air Contacts can scan the whole area of its radar without having to lock onto a target; he can do it using the whole width of the radar or just a small section of it when he knows where the target should be located and to concentrate its search activity in one specific area.

As it is right now, the pilot is unable to narrow its RADAR AZIMUTH SCAN WIDTH (let’s say 20 degrees) at the EDGES of the Radar WITHOUT having to lock the target (staying in RWS).

In a nut shell; a Narrow Scan Azimuth should follow the TDC

That important feature had begun to be somewhat implemented in earlier versions of the DCS F/A-18C but seemed to be left out. I only hope that this is not an oversight and that this important feature will be dealt with in their upcoming improvements in the near future as it is an indispensible.

https://youtu.be/lL_a_kIl1X8

It will come. It’s because the radar is still quite WIP and has been rebuilt a couple of times already to squash various bugs.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yes; the inalibility to slew the antenna left and right with a narrow radar beam is a real pain right now

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

• 7 months later...
Improvement Suggestion Ref.: Narrow Azimuth Scan in RWS Mode and its current Limitations

I have been waiting for this improvement of the F/A-18C Radar for a long time. But it is not coming. I just hope this is not an oversight:

Normally, a pilot when searching for Air Contacts can scan the whole area of its radar without having to lock onto a target; he can do it using the whole width of the radar or just a small section of it when he knows where the target should be located and to concentrate its search activity in one specific area.

As it is right now, the pilot is unable to narrow its RADAR AZIMUTH SCAN WIDTH (let’s say 20 degrees) at the EDGES of the Radar WITHOUT having to lock the target (staying in RWS).

In a nut shell; a Narrow Scan Azimuth should follow the TDC

That important feature had begun to be somewhat implemented in earlier versions of the DCS F/A-18C but seemed to be left out. I only hope that this is not an oversight and that this important feature will be dealt with in their upcoming improvements in the near future as it is an indispensible.

https://youtu.be/lL_a_kIl1X8

Unlike the F16, the radar doesn't follow the TDC slew, it stays centered to the jet. It is correctly modeled as is.

It s been over a year now and we still don't have a fully functional Radar.

Stop coming out with new aircrafts and finish your products !

Enjoy your timeout....

The Hornet was released into EA on 1 June 2019 - sure seems like you have no clue what you are talking about.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

Enjoy your timeout....

The Hornet was released into EA on 1 June 2019 - sure seems like you have no clue what you are talking about.

Considering I've been flying the Hornet since June 2018, I'm pretty sure it wasn't released 4 months ago...

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Enjoy your timeout....

According to my account's "My Orders" list, I paid for and downloaded DCS: F/A-18C Hornet on 01/12/2018. This is 12 January 2018. (I bought the Christen Eagle on 12/28/2018 showing that the 1/12/2018 is not December 1.)

Maybe you got your copy on 1 June 2019?

Edited by =Mac=
clarifying the dates

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Unlike the F16, the radar doesn't follow the TDC slew, it stays centered to the jet. It is correctly modeled as is.

This is wrong (AFAIK), the hornet can slew the azimuth scan pattern when operating at reduced azimuth/bar settings, it also has a sport light mode that command a reduced 20 degree azimuth scan around the TDC.