3090? 3080? AMD!

very interesting... as stated, maybe a blessing in disguise for not getting an initial card.

But every "new toy" comes with the same comments. Only the people who have problems shout so it skews the perception. You probably need a longer duration to see what the true MTBF is.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cross posting here to calm the horde:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4501330&postcount=458

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Considering the cost of high end GPU's, I don't think its wise to dive in as soon as they are released. The 3000 series seems to have issues they claim is due to capacitor placement, etc.. CTD's and Black screens.

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS

Considering the cost of high end GPU's, I don't think its wise to dive in as soon as they are released. The 3000 series seems to have issues they claim is due to capacitor placement, etc.. CTD's and Black screens.

Nobody really knows exactly what the problem is. The capacitors could be one among other culprits.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

Just to pour more fuel on the fire:

A few more interesting tidbits at

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Just to pour more fuel on the fire:

A few more interesting tidbits at

I caught the comment... the AMD cards don't even have to be ground breaking, they just need to be in stock...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I caught the comment... the AMD cards don't even have to be ground breaking, they just need to be in stock...

But there is lies the problem. By all accounts NVDA had a lot of stock. But every major site had record setting customer demand.

So AMD *almost* has to control the inventory so it won't be seen on shelves for days on end.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

They had a lot of stock for bots to snap up. Ie scalpers and miners, not for gamers. I thought it wasn’t worthwhile to mine digital currency anymore?

It's mostly scalpers. Mining created a brief shortage at one point, but the greater issue it caused was alerting the wider world to the existence of gpu hardware as expensive kit people will pay top dollar for, especially when supply is low. Scalping always existed, but it's only since then that you had these great ''dry spells'' from resellers buying dozens of cards at a time. It's not even lonewolf scalpers, it's ''industrial'' scale, it's its own business.

I'm pretty certain crypto mining no longer uses GPUs in general as a result of changes to coding in many of them.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It's mostly scalpers. Mining created a brief shortage at one point, but the greater issue it caused was alerting the wider world to the existence of gpu hardware as expensive kit people will pay top dollar for, especially when supply is low. Scalping always existed, but it's only since then that you had these great ''dry spells'' from resellers buying dozens of cards at a time. It's not even lonewolf scalpers, it's ''industrial'' scale, it's its own business.

I'm pretty certain crypto mining no longer uses GPUs in general as a result of changes to coding in many of them.

Crypto mining today is very ramified. On one side, bitcoin mining no longer uses GPUs. On the other hand, currencies like Etherum and others still do.

Banned by cunts.

apache01.png

So AMD *almost* has to control the inventory so it won't be seen on shelves for days on end.

No what AMD needs to do is put out cards that either:

A) outperform Nvidia's cards, or

B) perform at the same level, but at a lower pricepoint.

If AMD can get this right for the 6XXX series, then they win this round. It's a simple as that, no need for any shenaningans.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

No what AMD needs to do is put out cards that either:

A) outperform Nvidia's cards, or

B) perform at the same level, but at a lower pricepoint.

If AMD can get this right for the 6XXX series, then they win this round. It's a simple as that, no need for any shenaningans.

I took that to be granted. But I should have pointed it out. The other permutation is it's not so good, but it's way way way cheaper. That would entice people.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well, I am very pleased with my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC on my 144Hz , WQHD (3.440x1.440). Around 20 to 30 fps uplift with pretty high settings and now with MSAA x 4 turned on too. High 80s to 144 fps with the A10C in heavy missions for instance. But the engine is holding the card back nonetheless. IL2 GB for example runs 144 locked on Ultra. Not as complex, I know, but still.

It clobbers games like The Division 2, Ghost Recon, Jedi Knight, The Witcher 3 into submission.

Also discovered the wonderful world of undervolting. Locked the card to it‘s factory 1800 MHz, thus reducing power consumption 100-150 W, (The Division 2 250 W even ! Who the eff programmed that beast?). No noticeable drop in performance, 1 - 4 fps.

Win10 x64 | ASUS Z390 E - Gaming | Watercooled Der8auer i7-8700K @ 5.0Ghz| 32 GB 3200MHz GSkill Trident Z | Watercooled GTX 1080 Ti | 4 x SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs |3 x Stream Deck XL, | TrackIR |

A10C | F/A-18C | F-14B | FC3 | F-5E | F-16C | AV-8B | M-2000C | AJS-37 Viggen | F-86F Sabre | MiG-21bis | MiG-15bis | Black Shark 2 | UH-1H | Persian Gulf | Nevada NTTR

windows displays actual usage on the current release as does the current beta of MSI afterburner .. and on my hardware it is approximately double in VR and a little more (5gb in 2d and 10+Gb in VR)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

ED should inform us on actual Vram usage in 2d and VR.

Only they can tell us how much Vram we ACTUALLY need for different scenario's.

All these tools that display "allocation" are not very helpful.

It's not up to ED (or any program) The OS decides it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

It's not up to ED (or any program) The OS decides it.

I'm pretty sure that vram application is done at the application code level... And not the OS. Essentially you request that memory from the operating system as a developer to allocate to your specific program...

But surely ED must have an idea of how much VRAM their program uses

Actually, ED is the ONLY one who knows exact VRAM usage. How much of it is being used for texture, frame buffer, post process, anti aliasing... you will need their SDK and GPU profiling tool to see it exactly. All OS and these 3rd party tools can tell you is how much in total is being allocated/used.

All OS and these 3rd party tools can tell you is how much in total is being allocated/used.

The last edition of MSI Afterburner does exactly that...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

I doubt msi afterburner is telling you how much VRAM is being actually 'used'.

From what i've heard that is not so easy to monitor at all.

All these programs are just reading what portion of the Vram is 'reserved' , apparently there's a big difference between 'reserved/allocated' and actually used.

Some programs even just hog all the Vram while only using 10% of it.

In short, the 'allocated' VRAM doesn't tell you how much Vram you need at all , at least that's my understanding ?

qNwE8ue

I doubt msi afterburner is telling you how much VRAM is being actually 'used'.

From what i've heard that is not so easy to monitor at all.

All these programs are just reading what portion of the Vram is 'reserved' , apparently there's a big difference between 'reserved/allocated' and actually used.

Some programs even just hog all the Vram while only using 10% of it.

In short, the 'allocated' VRAM doesn't tell you how much Vram you need at all , at least that's my understanding ?

Well, the latest beta MSI afterburner shows vram allocated and vram by process, I think it shows quite accurate how much DCS uses vram.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=286706

edit: added screenshot, mig-21 (start from runway) / syria map

qNwE8ue.jpgqNwE8ue

8jNkv13SyGTbvU5P7 view?usp=sharing

Edited by coldViPer

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11