Dedicated Server ?

Sandbird

Hi guys, i've been put to the task on setting up a dedicated server for DCS World and i got a few questions.

Can it run on a CentOS or debian system ?

If it needs to be windows...can i rent a server (windows 2008 from leaseweb.com and just install it there? I mean will it run on win2008 (cause i am not sure if / what graphics card the machines have.

I tried to find a guide on the net about this but i couldnt find anything that i can use.

Thank you.

Edited by Sandbird

Until the dedicated server application is released, those questions are impossible to answer.

For the time being the only way to host a server is to run DCS World itself, which means the hardware requirements for a server are the same as for any system running the sim.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

Hi Sandbird,

I'm also trying to set up a new dedicated server for our virtual squadron.

Currently, we run a colocated (AkA housing) server, with a real graphic card.

Nonetheless, I will test in the next days/weeks a "standard" dedicated server, without graphic card per se, but with an Intel i5 CPU with embedded HD2000 graphic chip.

Such an hardware may not be able to run the current DCS World for a client/player point of view (too low FPS/impossible to play), but it may work for a server (with tweaked options to lower "graphic needs" to a minimum, details to come if test is OK). In that aspect, I must disagree (slightly) with Eddie: the hardware requirements for a server are almost but not exactly the same as for any system running the sim. ;)

So far, what I can tell is that Windows 2008 Server is not an option : We already run a test on this OS, and DCS World crashed each time (note : even in local test, on a real gaming PC with full hardware config & drivers up to date).

On the other hand, we were able to run DCS World on a Windows 2012 Server test bed. Next planned test is to try on a real standard dedicated server.

tay tuned for news, there is an hope that you don't have to wait for the server app by ED (even if it will be easier/simpler & perhaps cheaper when it's released).

Cheers

Az'

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

So far, what I can tell is that Windows 2008 Server is not an option : We already run a test on this OS, and DCS World crashed each time (note : even in local test, on a real gaming PC with full hardware config & drivers up to date)...

What exactly means each time? We have 3 root servers running Win 2008 Server RC2.

Ha! Perhaps not each Win2008 then? The servers you mention are OK with DCSW ?

Tests were made:

- on a "real" server (specs) with WINDOWS SERVER 2008 WEB EDITION R2 SP1

- on 2 "local" test machines with the same OS as previously and with the "STANDARD EDITION" version.

OTOH, a test on local test machines (same machines as previous) with Win2012 got OK.

That's where we concluded that Win2008 is not to be used. :doh:

All tests had the same result: Crashs were met with both laucher and multi apps:

- launcher after circa 10% of loading goes:

DCSW_solo.thumb.jpg.cf292c7fe796f526e445a3b95ff1d5eb.jpg

- multi displays this straight after clicking the shortcut:

DCSW_multi.thumb.jpg.621b42bb4fc9152144b793f3cb79b1a1.jpg

Care to share the details of your servers' config? :sorcerer:

Cheers

Az'

[edit] mods, perhaps this topic would be better in the general DCS World section of the forum?

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

I am able to run DCS World within a Windows 8 VM on my MacBook Pro. DCS World is free so I just run that on my Mac and play using my main desktop which I own every DCS module. Seems like it will melt my laptop because the fans are always spinning at high speeds but it works nonetheless.

I am able to run DCS World within a Windows 8 VM on my MacBook Pro. DCS World is free so I just run that on my Mac and play using my main desktop which I own every DCS module.

How does that work? Until the next patch, I thought that World without any plugins didn't have multiplayer access. Or does it let you join and spectate sans plugins, and just not fly? 'Coz, if we can host with World, that's almost as good as a proper dedicated server program, and I can start hosting dedicated now on another machine.

I have no idea how it works but I gave it a shot and it worked out. I thought it would prevent me from logging in at the same time with the same account but nothing stopped it. DCS World doesn't require activation so it works out somehow.

The screenshot below shows it in action. The high pings are due to me running through a VPN to ensure it could be seen in the main list. When you run another server on your internal network it only shows on the LAN list even when you select Internet for the game. So I ran a VPN through London (I'm in Washington D.C. area).

6613397_ScreenShot2012-09-01at9_27_30PM.thumb.png.9ac6c4d96ab00229cc43a7237efe53d8.png

AMD Athlon II X4 605e, 8GB RAM, ATI 4200 HD

We had the same problem first. But then we used teamviewer and we could start the DCS app without crashing. :)

Thanks ! I know that RDP won't work (been there, done that on our current colocated server),

I don't use Teamviewer but UltraVNC (for the same purpose).

The crash is with UltraVNC. Will test on 2012, if same problem then I will try with Teamviewer (but I'm not sure as DCSW runs with UltraVNC on our old colocated server (WinXP)).

[edit] Nevermind, now DCSW launchs on RDP with Win2012 Server. :thumbup:

Seems to have been improvment on RDP and/or graphic drivers and/or OS and/or DCS.

I am able to run DCS World within a Windows 8 VM on my MacBook Pro. DCS World is free so I just run that on my Mac and play using my main desktop which I own every DCS module. Seems like it will melt my laptop because the fans are always spinning at high speeds but it works nonetheless.

Caution, we're talking not of Windows 8 but Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2012.

Server 2008 is +/- the Win7 for servers.

Server 2012 is +/- the Win8 for servers.

How does that work?

Simple. Just scratch the "until the next part" below. Already done, apparently ED sided.

Until the next patch, I thought that World without any plugins didn't have multiplayer access. Or does it let you join and spectate sans plugins, and just not fly?

Cheers :)

Edited by Azrayen
correcting info : situation has changed for RDP

spacer.png

Hi.

Using Windows 2012 Server, DCS World runs OK :)

HiJack, following your post, I tried via RDP (not UltraVNC) and it works too :)

(the /admin is not an obligation to launch DCSW. I don't understand for what action you needed it ??)

[edit] OK, got it, "try to install or change DCS World settings"...

Well, I don't need the /admin. my UAC is off, that may be the trick ;) My user has "total control" on the DCS installation folder.

It's a bit late now, will do more tests later & post feed back :)

Cheers

Az'

Edited by Azrayen

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I really need your assistance and your knowledge.

Trying to run dcs world on a remote dedi server with the following specs.

Windows Web Server 2008 R2-SP1 - 64bit

Amd opteron 3280

16 GB Ram

DCS 1.2.2

Tried several options as i was reading forums, but nothing really did worked.

Every single time the exe is crashing.

Tried ultravnc / vnc / team viewer / rdp

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: DCS.exe

Application Version: 1.2.2.7570

Application Timestamp: 50ae98b8

Fault Module Name: edCore.dll

Fault Module Version: 1.2.2.7570

Fault Module Timestamp: 508f74fe

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00000000000435df

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.1296.17

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 72dc

Additional Information 2: 72dc9965f8ab89db36ade49177ef0986

Additional Information 3: a03c

Additional Information 4: a03c977265698c1ea0d2266d6f599a35

Read our privacy statement online:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Do you have something to suggest?

Shucks I was hoping this would be able to run on linux (console only) and not need a good video card, just be a fast hub connection for a bunch of clients.

i5-2500K 3.3GHz (OC to 4.3GHz), 8 GB DDR3 1600, Radeon HD 6970 2GB, 120GB SSD

• 2 months later...
  • ED Team
The server is still working like client machine and needs a proper 3D video card to work, from your post you don't seem to have listed a video card which is what I think is most likely why DCS crashes.

Is this the case even if you disable the graphics in the config?

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png