Disable track file recording in MP

Mustang

Wasn't sure if anyone was aware of this (or if a thread had been started) but it is now possible to stop DCS from recording trackfiles in multiplayer :)

Simply add disable_write_track = true to your autoexec.cfg in Users\<name>\Saved Games\DCS\Config on either your machine or server if you're the host (you may have to create the file if you don't have one already)

3mnlFM5.jpg

P.S a .trk file will still be generated in your Users\<name>\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer folder but it will only be the mission contents and nothing more, notice the filesize of the .trk does not grow in size.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• ED Team

interesting mustang, I was still under the impression it was single player only.

However I have not seen much of a difference with performance

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

interesting mustang, I was still under the impression it was single player only.

However I have not seen much of a difference with performance

It's definitely working, the size of the trackfile at the end of a session proves this since it's only the bare mission, open the .trk up with something like WinRAR and you won't see the usual trackfile inside.

In terms of performance it seems to make a difference disk write wise so slightly less micro stuttering, this might be even more pronounced for people on slower drives and remember it's less wear and tear on SSDs too.

One other bonus is it makes exiting after a long MP session happen ALOT faster.

Edited by Mustang

It would alsso prevent the user from copying your mission to their own server

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

It would alsso prevent the user from copying your mission to their own server

Actually no, the client still has to download the mission locally to be able to fly the mission (hence the small .trk that's generated)

Actually no, the client still has to download the mission locally to be able to fly the mission (hence the small .trk that's generated)

I think we’re both are saying the same thing, but want to verify.

Previous non protected stupid user logs in gets everything downloaded to the Trk file then goes to his server , repurposes the trk file to miz loads it on his server and finds the hidden jewels correct?

With you new restrictions they receive less info only what applies to their mission as ran. So when they convert the trk file to miz it only has the info the saw? Correct?

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I think we’re both are saying the same thing, but want to verify.

Previous non protected stupid user logs in gets everything downloaded to the Trk file then goes to his server , repurposes the trk file to miz loads it on his server and finds the hidden jewels correct?

With you new restrictions they receive less info only what applies to their mission as ran. So when they convert the trk file to miz it only has the info the saw? Correct?

You can also move the script files out the mission file, so if someone tried to take your mission it won't work.

This is a great find tho and will be added to our server

Thanks Mustang

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

• 2 months later...

Does this autoexec.cfg trick also work for single player?

Usually I don‘t have any use for ttrackfiles but I am absolutely looking for anything that could make my system run faster and smoother (even by just 0.1 percent).

Does this autoexec.cfg trick also work for single player?

Usually I don‘t have any use for ttrackfiles but I am absolutely looking for anything that could make my system run faster and smoother (even by just 0.1 percent).

Yes it should, try it and see.

• 2 weeks later...
You can also move the script files out the mission file, so if someone tried to take your mission it won't work.

This is a great find tho and will be added to our server

Thanks Mustang

Could you please clarify? Moving the script files out of the mission will affect the mission file itself.

@Mustang:

Great information! THANKS!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 10 months later...
I know this is an old thread, id like to know how to disable track recording in Dcs currently, as there is no longer an autoexec file.

Tar

"you may have to create the file if you don't have one already" see 1st post for the path

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back, but I just found out about this saving thing, and I removed almost 10Gb of data from my Multiplayer folder!... I don't want DCS to record my tracks in MP anymore, and I also don't have the "autoexec.exe" and I have no idea how to create one or even what to write it .... can anyone help me? What do I need to put in this "autoexec" file? Can I create it on the Notepad?

Please any help will be nice as my SSD it's not big enough to keep saving this files.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

My track folder had 13GB! Lol deleted. However, I simply made an autoexec.cfg file and put that line in it but I'm still creating tracks on MP servers. Is there something specific that needs to be done in the creation of the file?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

You should notice (if it was setup correctly) that the track files are now all a static size in relation to the mission that was flown. It is no longer recording the movements of aircraft, but you still get the mission data which is only a fraction of what you would normally have.

...Simply add disable_write_track = true to your autoexec.cfg in Users\<name>\Saved Games\DCS\Config...

...and I've just seen this thread... pfff...

Thanks a lot Mustang. I've added this. I hope it works on my side.

But, for friends, I have this way (below) for a looooong time. I'm deleting all trk files with a click.

You may want to try that.

* Create a text file on your dektop.

* Name it Erase MP Files.bat for example.

* Edit it via Notepad++ or something

* Insert this line:

del /s /q "C:\Users\{YOUR-USER-NAME}\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Tracks\Multiplayer\"

Please correct {YOUR-USER-NAME} part for your PC username.

Please check your DCS version: DCS or DCS.openbeta.

Save it. Ready to use.

Sometime I click on this BAT and all tracks are gone...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 6 months later...
strange, i don`t see the autoexec.cfg in that folder.

You can create it from the scratch if doesn't exist.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Does this setting still work? For me, MP tracks are still piling up, BUT I lost the ability to correctly save SP tracks! The files are created with the names I give them, but they all are of the same length and contain the SAME track, which I think I saved just before enabling the option...

12900KF@5.4, 32GB DDR4@4000cl14g1, 4090, M.2, W10 Pro, Warthog HOTAS, ButtKicker, Reverb G2/OpenXR