why speedbrakes are fanned out during cold start?

why speedbrakes are fanned out during cold start?

Interesting that the speed brakes don't gravity fall when hydraulic pressure goes to nil.

Edit: Nevermind. Stupid me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

• 2 months later...
I fly T-38's and it is procedure to have speed brakes extended and gear doors manually extended after landing for maintenance purposes. After engine start it is a team effort between crew chief and pilot to test all flight controls for proper movement (trim, stabs [including trim disconnect at max deflection], ailerons, rudder, speed brake operation, flaps [all configurations], and pitot heat).

We cannot see well behind us so the crew chief moves his arms to indicate how flight controls are moving and checks to make sure they are operating and moving correctly.

Habu

This is 100% correct. :thumbup:

Digital Storm Lynx: i9-10850k (5.2 GHz): 64GB RAM (3200 MHz): 2TB SSD M.2 Samsung 970 EVO: 2TB Samsung HD: GEFORCE 2080 TI: Thrust Master WartHog (modified): TM F-18C joystick: Saitek Rudder Pedals: HP Reverb PRO: Volair Sim Cockpit: Current Stable Version of DCS :thumbup:

IRL Retired Maintainer of the AT-38B: F-4E/G: F-15A/B/C/D: and McDonnell Douglas/Boeing Technical Advisor for the F-15C/D. I drive trains now. :yawn:

Slightly OT, but did you notice that the landing gear doors were closed, then opened, then closed again before taxi? How's that work?

Gear doors are closed during normal operations, including after landing. They can be released for inspection using a switch on the right gear well, and this is normally done for preflight checks. You can observe gear doors are open before engine start, and they close as hydraulics pressurise during engine start (about 0:37). Crew chief releases them again during his walk-around (5:27), closes them at 7:27.

Edited by dolfo

Excellent, thanks!

Gear doors are closed during normal operations, including after landing. They can be released for inspection using a switch on the right gear well, and this is normally done for preflight checks. You can observe gear doors are open before engine start, and they close as hydraulics pressurise during engine start (about 0:37). Crew chief releases them again during his walk-around (5:27), closes them at 7:27.