Should I buy the MIG-21?

Reflected

Now I can confidently use even the nav system, it' s pretty straightforward!

One problem persists though:

I can take off offline by rotating hard at 250 kph, but online (ACG) I still blow those tires, no matter what. I used to have the same problem in the F5E, also mainly online.

Any tips for low alt intercept? My radar seems to be totally blind down there due to the clutter.

Good news, the armament selector and IR/SARH switch are fixed. :thumbup:

https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=187

https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=81

I haven't checked the bugtracker in a while, but I just noticed there has been quite some activity during the last days. That makes me really happy :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Now I can confidently use even the nav system, it' s pretty straightforward!

One problem persists though:

I can take off offline by rotating hard at 250 kph, but online (ACG) I still blow those tires, no matter what. I used to have the same problem in the F5E, also mainly online.

Any tips for low alt intercept? My radar seems to be totally blind down there due to the clutter.

Not sure about the differences in online and offline handling. There shouldn't be any, so that may be a bug. Try rotating a bit earlier, at 200kph or so, just lift the front wheel off the ground and then complete rotation above 250kph. That might help.

As for radar usage, you have to remember that the radar looks straight ahead and up a bit. You will be able to only see targets at co altitude and a little bit higher than you. It was never meant as a proper search radar, the Mig21 was a ground controlled interceptor. That means it was guided on to targets and only turned on its radar for final targeting.

I wouldn't count on the radar that much. You would be better served by getting on servers that use Simpleradio and have dedicated GCI controllers who would guide you to an intercept.

Either that or use the Mk1 Eyeball, stay silent (radio off) and try to ambush your enemies. This last part is hard as hell, but is also the most satisfying.

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

The Radar of the MIG is also in MP Scenario down low questionable, because it only emitters your Position to the much more cable F5 RWR before you getting a look on him and attrack even more enemy players.

Fly mostly with the Radar on Stand bye Mod and use also MK-1 Eyeballs to emitter nothing, got also insane Kills with Radar Guided Missiles in the Radar Beam Mod because you give the Enemy mostly no reaction Time with the small Radar Beam...

Thats the Russian Dogfight Modus :D

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I haven't checked the bugtracker in a while, but I just noticed there has been quite some activity during the last days. That makes me really happy :)

If all the fixes make it into the next patch, it's gonna be a big one. :D

Not sure about the differences in online and offline handling. There shouldn't be any, so that may be a bug. Try rotating a bit earlier, at 200kph or so, just lift the front wheel off the ground and then complete rotation above 250kph. That might help.

As for radar usage, you have to remember that the radar looks straight ahead and up a bit. You will be able to only see targets at co altitude and a little bit higher than you. It was never meant as a proper search radar, the Mig21 was a ground controlled interceptor. That means it was guided on to targets and only turned on its radar for final targeting.

I wouldn't count on the radar that much. You would be better served by getting on servers that use Simpleradio and have dedicated GCI controllers who would guide you to an intercept.

Either that or use the Mk1 Eyeball, stay silent (radio off) and try to ambush your enemies. This last part is hard as hell, but is also the most satisfying.

:thumbup:. Just to add a bit regarding the radar usage and effectiveness at low altitudes. According to the real flight manual, whenever intercepting a target flying at altitude below 2000-3000m:

- set the antena tilt position to up

- as the radar looks up the intercepting plane has to position itself 300-500 m below the target (otherwise the target would be below the radar beam cone).

Intercepting targets flying below 1000 m is difficult due to the ground clutter. Actually I need to check it but at 1000 m the first 10-13 km on the radar should be covered by the interference from ground clutter (~1/3 of the radar screen).

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Alright, I'm really getting there! I experienced a few weird things though, and I'd like to know if they are bugs or I messed something up.

- I tend to blow tires on takeoff when rotating (gently) well below 400 kph.

"Maximum unstick ground speed 360 km/h", from the DCS manual (pg. 32).

The procedure is as follows, according to a manual for exported versions of the MiG-21bis:

- speed 150-200 km/h: pull stick 3/4 back, until the nosewheel begins to lift off

- speed 250-270 km/h: nosewheel lift-off, maintain 11-13° AoA

- speed 340-360 km/h: take-off (*)

The speeds depend on the load, obviously, and IAS.

(*) memorize the attitude, the view of the horizon and the distance to the ground just before the wing wheels unstick, because you want to have the exact same view when you land :)

In the patch we don't have yet.

Yes... it's frustrating to see Magnitude 3 LLC has fixed so many bugs and today's update still doesn't include these fixes (and since the performance issue introduced recently is still there in 2.0.5, it's probably safer to wait a little more...).

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I understand that, but supposedly there's fixes already complete waiting to be sent out according to the bug tracker. I'm curious as to when they will be released? On a Friday update? Or is it at the developers discretion?

It's more up to ED to decide. MiG-21 is not the only one with a list of fixes waiting for being published.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

They patched 2.0 today, no mention of mig-21 fixes.

Speaking as a software dev, when faced with a bunch of code that has some serious problems, you create your fixes for that particular version only and change nothing else. You do not add more uncertainty to the mix by including other stuff. ED did the right thing.

I'd imagine the next patches to 1.5 or 2.0 will contain a lot of the fixes.

They patched 2.0 today, no mention of mig-21 fixes.

Good chatting with you buddy on the 78th server today. Catch you in the virtual skies again. hope these patches get pushed soon.... :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

The Mig-21 is my favourite plane in the game. And I own nearly all modules except the Spitfire and BF109.

I just love it. Its massively rewarding if you get it right, manage to creep up to something by using the terrain, and shoot it down. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

-- i7 4790K

-- Club 3D R9 290X Royal Ace SOC

-- Asus Maximus VII Ranger

-- G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3-2400 CL10

-- Gelid Tranquillo rev.2

-- Corsair RM850

-- Corsair 760T White

-- Windows 10