gtx1070 and normandy - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #1
voodooman

Reputation power: 8
voodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enough
Default gtx1070 and normandy

i found good settings for my system. GTX1070 / 3570K@4.2 / 16Gram
constant 60fps and smooth track ir panning and overall gameplay.

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL:

SINCE DCS VERSION 2.1.1.11317.285 ALL NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL SETTINGS DEFAULT. NVIDIA DRIVER VERSION 388.13

IN GAME:

- textures = high
- terrain textures = high
- water = high
- visib range = ultra (less frequent loading from the disk?, 8gb graphics memory with 1070 can handle it fine, mine take about 6.5 gigs with these settings)
- heatblur = off
- Shadows = Medium (this is new for 2.1.1) finally i can have cockpit shadows on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- resolution = 1920x1080
- res.cockpit disp = 1024 every frame(!) (<-so that every frame in all buffers is the same)
- MSAA = 2x
- lens effect = none
- hrd = off
- deferred shading = on

- Grass 400
- trees 15000
- preload 150000
- chimney density 4
- gamma (what ever you want, no effect on permormance, i use 2.1)

- anisotropic filtering = off
- terrain object shadows = flat
- cockpit global illlumination = off

-disable aero = on
-vsync = on
-full screen = on
-scale gui = off

-mirrors = off

edit . added my resolution

edit 2. updated for june 2 patch and added mirrors settings
june 2nd patch. noticed that i was able to crank up msaa and anisotropic filtering without dropping below 60 fps too often.
shadows however if even on low instead of flat, still gets me frequent drops below 60.

edit 3. back to original settings with msaa and aniso. seems to be only way to have as little hick up's as possible. raising msaa and aniso does not affect fps that much, gpu clocks run higher and that kind of balances it....but...much more little stutters and lagging.

edit 4. added afterburner monitor graphs of 30 min sortie @burning skies. post 15: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php...1&postcount=15
im very happy how it plays now, all graphs are very flat and gameplay is smooth. ofcourse online is easier on the machine, but thats what i really care about anyway.

edit 5. Cockpit shadows can be on medium with these setting and still stay above 60 fps! actually i can set aniso to 16 and still stay above 60 but i get very slight stutter (rarely!) with it on so i left it off for now. it's coming together nicely this map, good job ed, thank you!!!!

additional note: i have my fov restricted to 96, i know it helps little with fps so with the default 140 fov you might drop below 60.

edit 6. updated settings for 2.1.1.9459.269. added MFAA enabled for nvidia control panel

edit 7. updated settings for 2.1.1.11317.385 Default Nvidia Control Panel settings driver version 388.13

Last edited by voodooman; 11-09-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: updates
voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #2
Basco1

Reputation power: 9
Basco1 is a jewel in the roughBasco1 is a jewel in the roughBasco1 is a jewel in the roughBasco1 is a jewel in the roughBasco1 is a jewel in the roughBasco1 is a jewel in the rough

I concur,my set up which utilises a GTX 1070 8GB card is also working well.not had any stutters at all,and yes Normandy is running beautifully on it.

To know that Normandy is still in Alpha too,being that there's more optimization to come is very heartening,so the outlook is great for us PC Pilots,well done Ed your doing us all proud.......thank you.
Windows 10 Home/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 8GB Graphics/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog/MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4.
Basco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Colmillo

Reputation power: 2
Colmillo is on a distinguished road

Thanks a lot for the information, I did it, and works perfect. Only one problem: Scale Gui. Its in options.lua, an option called ScaleGUI. I found mine in c:/users/username/savedgames/dcs/config. Needs to be false, or the resolution in the menu will be unscale.

MB Gigabite GA-Z170X-GAMING 7 1.0 INTEL CORE I7 6700K 4.00 NO COOLER, I love danger... (Just Kidding H115i) ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB RAM 64 SSD 1T ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog Oculus Rift (thanks to KORIEL advice) Saitek Pro Rudder
Colmillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
Dieter

Reputation power: 5
Dieter will become famous soon enoughDieter will become famous soon enoughDieter will become famous soon enough

What lacks is the screen résolution. This can make vary performances a lot and make this settings a little hazardous
| i7 3930K@4.25GHz | ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME | 32 GB DDR3 2133MHz RIPJAWS | SSD EVO 840 1 T | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB AMP Extreme Edition | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 |TrackIR5 | Case core X9 | HOTAS Warthog |

Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
voodooman

voodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enoughvoodooman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
What lacks is the screen résolution. This can make vary performances a lot and make this settings a little hazardous
oh sorry about that. it's 1920x1080 and a 60Hz monitor.

and i didnt notice anything strange with that scale ui setting..
Old 06-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
OnlyforDCS

Reputation power: 15
OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

Bookmarked for testing and comparison. I have a 970GTX, so it's nowhere near as powerful, but I will try similar settings.

What does "flat shadows" in the cockpit do? I don't think I could live without shadows in the cockpit. I use flat shadows on the ground, and medium in cockpit.

Also I run Anistropic at 16x and didn't notice any performance difference between that and OFF. Though textures look much nicer with it on.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
Hiromachi

Reputation power: 4
Hiromachi will become famous soon enoughHiromachi will become famous soon enough

I've bookmarked it as well, ordered yesterday 1080Ti and will use this as basics for the setup, of course will push textures quite substantially higher. Hopefully it wont struggle with Normandy. That kind of GPU really shouldnt.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:30 PM   #8
voodooman

@onlyfordcs: shadows flat is basically no shadows in cockpit, or they are allmost unnoticeable, i would say. definately cockpit frame shadows are absent.
sometimes it's hard to say when shadows are set to flat, wheter it's shadows that darken the cockpit or hdr, or just the fact that sunlight doesnt hit the cockpit textures.

Last edited by voodooman; 06-02-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #9
voodooman

updated settings in the first post, that give me the best performance with the latest patch

i had to funnily set deferred shading off, load game, exit, and change it back on to get the game smooth again. it's propably just me fiddling everything back and fort that got it somehow mixed up and lagging like crazy.

@hiromachi, sweet! i bet you can have cockpit shadows fully on and still be smooth as silk.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #10
javelina1

Reputation power: 20
javelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of lightjavelina1 is a glorious beacon of light

subscribing... I've tried this, and it's helped quite a bit.

Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1x 500GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios & Ikarus), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908, Oculus Rift CV1
javelina1 is offline   Reply With Quote