DCS A-10C QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Interesting!

I never had that.

Where were you when that happened? From the manual (pre-NTTR, pre-Normandy):

It seems you were in a location that's not covered by the terrain elevation database currently built into our A-10C (regardless of TAD map or not), and without elevation data, the aircraft can't provide any CCIP cues.

PAC as such should still be available IMO, but the normal gun cross/gun pipper sure won't work.

Did you try turning around and see if the problems go away then? The OFF MAP indication seems like a pretty solid pointer in this regard.

How the system works is pretty simple, it's just a lot of math, trigonometry in particular. Where's the aircraft, where's the target, what's the ballistic flight path of bullets/bombs/projectiles, and how is wind going to affect that - simple, right? ;)

Well, anyway, without terrain elevation data, the part "where's the target" is unknown, hence the entire calculation can't be done. It would be possible to get the target position by means of laser ranging, but AFAIK the A-10C requires the terrain elevation database or else all the fancy targeting equipment won't work and pilots are basically back at WWII style bombing/gunning.

Long story short, if your target is outside the area covered by the database, you're out of luck, because we can't change/expand the database with cartridges.

Edit: @Striker, bad INS alignment would also disable the AP and the TVV, and it shouldn't happen out of the blue. Not saying this isn't the cause, but it seems rather unlikely IMHO.

Ahhh ok thanks for your help, that explains the problems I was having. I had incorrectly assumed the DTSAS 'map' would be as large as the TAD map. 240nm out radially from the starting point seems to be the limit (E.g. Kutaisi to Novorossiysk). A follow on question then - as you were saying there is no laser ranging system, but would it not be possible to force the CCIP computer to use the radar altimeter alone to calculate a rough impact point? (Kind of like how the mirage CCIP mode works)

Interesting!

I never had that.

Where were you when that happened? From the manual (pre-NTTR, pre-Normandy):

It seems you were in a location that's not covered by the terrain elevation database currently built into our A-10C (regardless of TAD map or not), and without elevation data, the aircraft can't provide any CCIP cues.

PAC as such should still be available IMO, but the normal gun cross/gun pipper sure won't work.

Did you try turning around and see if the problems go away then? The OFF MAP indication seems like a pretty solid pointer in this regard.

How the system works is pretty simple, it's just a lot of math, trigonometry in particular. Where's the aircraft, where's the target, what's the ballistic flight path of bullets/bombs/projectiles, and how is wind going to affect that - simple, right? ;)

Well, anyway, without terrain elevation data, the part "where's the target" is unknown, hence the entire calculation can't be done. It would be possible to get the target position by means of laser ranging, but AFAIK the A-10C requires the terrain elevation database or else all the fancy targeting equipment won't work and pilots are basically back at WWII style bombing/gunning.

Long story short, if your target is outside the area covered by the database, you're out of luck, because we can't change/expand the database with cartridges.

Edit: @Striker, bad INS alignment would also disable the AP and the TVV, and it shouldn't happen out of the blue. Not saying this isn't the cause, but it seems rather unlikely IMHO.

Ok, it is indeed some time since I flew the A-10C, but I remember there was a way to switch between DTS and "Steerpoint" mode (if I remember correctly it is the Data rocker when HUD is SOI). When it says DTS it uses the terrain elevation map, else (in Steerpoint mode) it uses the elevation of the current steerpoint... so if you are in hilly/mountainous Terrain and experience difficulties due to misalignments of the SPI giving lower elevations etc. it will use the elevation from the Steerpoint and give you a cue.

Maybe a bit less accurate than DTS and laser ranging, but especially useful, when in a hurry... :D

This is from back in the DCS A-10C standalone days, so please check if it is still implemented. :dunno:

EDIT: just tried it. Seems it is still there, but it only affects the gun cross/pipper. Unfortunately it is not modeled, as in mouseover lists it as (N/A). So it does not compute CCIP based on WP elevation, yet it is pretty useful , if your gun pipper jumps between ridges or you are below target elevation in mountains, as you will get a steady pipper to aim.

Use the Data rocker on the UFC to switch DTS to WP elevation. To get back to DTS click Data rocker and use Selsct rocker to switch mode.

Edited by shagrat

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

A follow on question then - as you were saying there is no laser ranging system, but would it not be possible to force the CCIP computer to use the radar altimeter alone to calculate a rough impact point? (Kind of like how the mirage CCIP mode works)

You could and should lase a target with the TGP to get an accurate range, especially when using JDAMS as the DTSAS does not account for the target/building elevation itself, which has an impact the lower the angle when setting the SPI coordinates that are sent to the JDAM's GPS Kit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=66290&d=1337612483

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

I had incorrectly assumed the DTSAS 'map' would be as large as the TAD map.

Huh, fascinating, I had assumed almost the same thing, only I thought you were probably on the edge of the map when the problem occurred.

So I did a couple of tests:

• Start hot in Tbilisi, with a flight plan that ends in Crimea - I get flashing OFF MAP right away
  • Start hot in Tbilisi with no flight plan at all. About halfway between Min Vody and Krasnodar, at 243 NM from my Init Posit I get the OFF MAP indication.
    Turning around, the indication disappears as soon as I get within 243 NM, and turning around yet again it re-appears at 243 NM, so that seems to be the DTS map's radius.

So it seems I was actually wrong and the terrain elevation database is pre-loaded based on the waypoints. Once we get too far away, we'll be OFF MAP. I keep saying this: With the A-10C, I really learn new stuff all the time. :thumbup:

A follow on question then - as you were saying there is no laser ranging system, but would it not be possible to force the CCIP computer to use the radar altimeter alone to calculate a rough impact point? (Kind of like how the mirage CCIP mode works)

Sorry, that was a misunderstanding. The TGP does include a laser rangefinder that can be used to get the exact slant range to the target; just fire the laser like you would to guide an LGB and it'll update the target position based on the range determined by the laser. I was (probably wrongfully) under the impression that laser ranging alone would not suffice to attack a target in CCIP or CCRP modes and that the DTS database was needed as well. Now I'm not sure about this, since I've never been off the DTS map before.

Thanks for asking your question about it! :thumbup:

EDIT: just tried it. Seems it is still there, but it only affects the gun cross/pipper. Unfortunately it is not modeled, as in mouseover lists it as (N/A).

Good info, thanks! :thumbup:

Okey, once and for all. I've been flying the hog for quite some years now, but I've seen a lot of answers about this.

From what I understood, it is not used as in the F-15 where it jams all the way, but is used when already locked. From there, how is it working ? I fly with manual CMS, so when I press the jammer "axis" it just flashes OPR for couple of seconds and that is it ? Is that how it is supposed to be ? Is there no real way of using the jammer, unless you are in semi-auto ?

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

I know this may seem like a very stupid question but:

Let's say I have two GBU-12s loaded onto my A-10. One of them is on the far right wing, near the edge. The other is on the left wing, but closer to my aircraft near the center.

Will these two bombs cancel each other out in terms of weight? Does the position of the bombs on the wings matter? Or does it just matter that they are on different sides of the aircraft?

I know this may seem like a very stupid question but:

Let's say I have two GBU-12s loaded onto my A-10. One of them is on the far right wing, near the edge. The other is on the left wing, but closer to my aircraft near the center.

Will these two bombs cancel each other out in terms of weight? Does the position of the bombs on the wings matter? Or does it just matter that they are on different sides of the aircraft?

No, they will be different. The turning force (torque) due to some force acting about an axis is equal to the force (or at least, the component of the force acting perpendicular) multiplied by the distance of the force from the axis. In this case the axis of rotation is the centreline of the aircraft, and the force is the weight of the bomb. Since both bombs have the same weight, but are at different distances, they will have a different torque.

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

No, they will be different. The turning force (torque) due to some force acting about an axis is equal to the force (or at least, the component of the force acting perpendicular) multiplied by the distance of the force from the axis. In this case the axis of rotation is the centreline of the aircraft, and the force is the weight of the bomb. Since both bombs have the same weight, but are at different distances, they will have a different torque.

That's what I thought it'd be, logically, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for the clear up

Anyone know how to fix the blurry text and HUD in the A10C in 2.1? It's only in the A10C. No other cockpit is blurry. Text is unreadable. Have tried Gamma settings. Have tried the resolution of cockpit displays setting. Nothing has changed it so far...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]On A Wing & A Prayer - In Memory of my Father who was my instructor, pilot, and co-pilot

NZXT H440 Blue | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7-4790k | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 OC | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 | Corsair H100i | Corsair HX750i | Saitek X-55 Rhino | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals | Track IR 5 w/ Proclip

Well, I answered my own question. It has something to do with deferred Shading. When this setting is on, it also activates Gamma settings, and allows for the activation/deactivation of global cockpit settings. When deferred shading is on this gives, apparently only me, blurry/block text in HUD as well has text inside the cockpit a blur unless zoomed into. Therefore, I can not run, for some reason, deferred settings which in turn allows gamma setting. I didn't have this issue when gamma settings first came out so I'm not sure if it's something ED has done or what... Would really like to run gamma settings and not have this issue if there is still a fix out there, or if anyone knows if ED knows this is an issue and is working on it??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]On A Wing & A Prayer - In Memory of my Father who was my instructor, pilot, and co-pilot

NZXT H440 Blue | Windows 10 Pro | Intel i7-4790k | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 OC | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 | Corsair H100i | Corsair HX750i | Saitek X-55 Rhino | Saitek Pro Flight Pedals | Track IR 5 w/ Proclip

• 3 weeks later...

What is the current effectiveness of CBU-97/105s on armored vehicles? I've read some posts saying that the CBUs are terribly ineffective, but those posts are a few yrs old, wondering if anything has changed since I don't use CBUs much.

No offense meant, but what good can possibly bring for you to ask, instead of test them yourself? If somebody answers you "they are not good", it can lay on too many subjective factors (one's weapons settings, aiming accuracy, attack direction, flight envelope and parameters etc. etc.), you would compare apple to banana in any case, because you can't exactly replicate even your own shots twice. And it is again the same parameter differences if somebody says they are fricking genius. The only thing safe to reply would be: if you can properly hit your target(s) with CBU's using effective settings, they are very effective. My 2 cents at least, again, no disrespect meant.

What is the current effectiveness of CBU-97/105s on armored vehicles? I've read some posts saying that the CBUs are terribly ineffective, but those posts are a few yrs old, wondering if anything has changed since I don't use CBUs much.

They are extremely effective due to the damage model, if we had a better DM, it wouldn't be as effective as it is now. But they work beautifully if you manage to drop them over the targets. They will quickly lose their effectiveness with a strong winds though.

Like Razor said, it's easy to set up a test scenario and check it out.

I did that a few months ago with a field of APCs tightly spaced. While the 87 scored between 2 and 5 hits, the 97 got close to the maximum of 40; I think the highest score was something like 38 targets destroyed with one weapon. :D

So yeah, I'd say they're pretty damn effective. :thumbup:

The answer will depend on which CBU and what you mean by "armoured". The 87 is not designed to kill MBTs, but will have some effect on light armour like APCs and some IFVs. The 97 is designed to go against more heavily armoured targets.

The main DCS limitation at the moment is that there is no fragmentation damage at all, so these weapons are actually unrealistically ineffective against infantry and soft vehicles.

• Like 1

dumb question but how big of an effect does aircraft weight have on fuel consumption?

Seems very little. Directly there is no effect but indirectly more weight = more lift = more AOA = more drag = more power = more fuel rate.

The 2000m 300 IAS FF at 100% fuel is ~2550 PPH each engine. With 25% fuel the airplane gains 2-3 knots so the engine can be throttled back to 2525 PPH to resume 300 IAS.

• Like 1

As mentionned in the post above, a heavier airplane will require a stronger lift force to maintain the aircraft in flight. You do this by pulling on the stick a bit more and it produces higher AoA and thus more drag. Also note that the acceleration of the aircraft will be reduced simply because of the added weight. More weight = more inertia.

Edited by Nooch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

sorry to be always spamming this thread w/ questions but:

ive been flying the hog for about 6 months now (however i studied how to fly it and use its systems for about a year before i actually bought it) and was wondering if veteran DCS:A-10C pilots are able to navigate without using the F10 map and only the TAD.

Should I also eventually stop using the F10 map and only use the TAD?

If you only fly in a small section of the map then you get familiar with it and don’t need the F10 map much. But even real pilots have “paper” charts they can look at for frequencies and such. Unless you happen to have a paper sectional map of the region you fly in then the F10 map is still useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk