=BURNING SKIES= WWII Server

eekz

Impostors have been turned off for the server.

Labels have been tuned and enabled.

- Labels are show with ` dark-grey symbol from 1 to 10 km.

- Labels are the same for ground and aircraft for both coalition

Try it out. Feedback is appreciated.

Shift+F10 to turn on if you don't have them.

I'll add this info to briefing too.

Edited by eekz
  • Like 1

Куплю B-17, можно B-24. B-29 не предлагать!

Burning Skies

=Burning Skies= @ Facebook

- Labels are the same for ground and aircraft for both coalition

Try it out. Feedback is appreciated.

Shift+F10 to turn on if you don't have them.

I'll add this info to briefing too.

Thanks eekz!

This is a lot better than the large imposters, in my eyes.

And, i can turn it off, if i want to.

Great!

:thumbup:

greez mugen

GIGABYTE Z690 Aorus Elite | i5-12600K | 32 GB DDR4 | 2x 980 NVMe | RTX 4090 | OR CV1 | Pimax 8K | PC360 | 34UM95 | 38GN950 | TIR5 + Track Clip Pro | T-50CM2 | TM Warthog + 27,5 cm extension | MFG Crosswind | Win10Pro x64

I will definitely give this a try.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

To me it is worse that imposters. Firstly, dots unnaturally pop in. Secondly they are visible through the airplane. So I can track someone who is under my wing.

I prefer large imposters and this kinda does nothing to improve the gameplay for me. Sorry.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

To me it is worse that imposters. Firstly, dots unnaturally pop in. Secondly they are visible through the airplane. So I can track someone who is under my wing.

I prefer large imposters and this kinda does nothing to improve the gameplay for me. Sorry.

Completely agree.

-SLACK

Thanks for feedback. I hope that someday labels transparency setting will be implemented and they will not be visible through cockpit. That would solve mentioned issues. However, I think we'll stick to labels instead of impostors, because impostors have such disadvantages like more them 50 km plane visibility, which is very unrealistic and also they generate graphical artifacts at close ranges.

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

Thanks for feedback. I hope that someday labels transparency setting will be implemented and they will not be visible through cockpit. That would solve mentioned issues. However, I think we'll stick to labels instead of impostors, because impostors have such disadvantages like more them 50 km plane visibility, which is very unrealistic and also they generate graphical artifacts at close ranges.

Could you just turn down the imposter setting?

Btw...many thanks for this wonderful server. Its a great benefit to the WWII DCS community (as are all the awesome WWII servers)!

-SLACK

Data export is disabled, as I believe it creates additional load on server and also can be exploited for having advantage

--

12742162_988706464535436_3241834176113498272_n.png?oh=85e4bcb446197d221fc5fb8b60e4d2da&oe=5729357B

Forgive me for bringing this back up but is the main reason for having the data export off to ease the load on the server?

If so I totally understand.

However, if the main reason is to keep people from exploiting it (I didn't even know that was possible, does it just make it easier to find people?) could it be enabled now that you've made the switch from imposters to labels as I don't see how it could give any advantage if that is all it does.

I would absolutely love to be able to watch some of my flights in tacview. Unfortunately that is pretty much impossible with how broken the replays are right now.

Forgive me for bringing this back up but is the main reason for having the data export off to ease the load on the server?

If so I totally understand.

However, if the main reason is to keep people from exploiting it (I didn't even know that was possible, does it just make it easier to find people?) could it be enabled now that you've made the switch from imposters to labels as I don't see how it could give any advantage if that is all it does.

I would absolutely love to be able to watch some of my flights in tacview. Unfortunately that is pretty much impossible with how broken the replays are right now.

Tacview definitely gives an advantage to those who have it. The ability to debrief a player's actions with the amount of detail that Tacview offers is indispensable to becoming a more effective pilot. My issue is if every other WWII server offers it, what difference does it make if Burning Skies doesn't? Also, pilots who do have Tacview will ramp up their skills well outside of Burning skies either in SP or MP missions on their own time.

The lack of AI/bot aircraft prevent players from learning and hunting down their locations, and the fact is if you want to accumulate points rapidly in Burning Skies (similar to DoW), ground attack remains the only way (subtly discouraging 109 pilots). The ground targets are well known so I'm sort of at a loss as to why Tacview is disabled, unless there is a significant server penalty.

-SLACK

Tacview definitely gives an advantage to those who have it. The ability to debrief a player's actions with the amount of detail that Tacview offers is indispensable to becoming a more effective pilot. My issue is if every other WWII server offers it, what difference does it make if Burning Skies doesn't? Also, pilots who do have Tacview will ramp up their skills well outside of Burning skies either in SP or MP missions on their own time.

The lack of AI/bot aircraft prevent players from learning and hunting down their locations, and the fact is if you want to accumulate points rapidly in Burning Skies (similar to DoW), ground attack remains the only way (subtly discouraging 109 pilots). The ground targets are well known so I'm sort of at a loss as to why Tacview is disabled, unless there is a significant server penalty.

-SLACK

couldn't agree more Karl and we don't need Tacview

Currently, there is no intention to enable export for the server. As far as I understand Tacview can stream all the battleground situation in realtime when export enabled. Am I right?

In regards to points(score), we plane to make ranking system that will be based not on total score but on Score multiplied by diffetent coeficients dependant on such effieciecy stats like K/D, GK/D, kill/hour etc. I'm currently looking for optimal formula. If you suggest your variant on such a formula, I'll definitely consider it.

Also, I consider a variant with C, B, A, S ranking system (like a SC2 battle.net leagues (bronze, silver, gold etc.) or Splatoon multiplayer).

Haven't decided yet. But I like the variant with CBAS ranking system, as nor formula for numerical rank can be 100% fair for all playstyles, even Elo rating, as there is not only air duels in the game.

Where I can donate to the server?

Thanks, but there is no such an option (probably yet). Recommend the server to your friends if you liked it :)

Edited by eekz

Burning Skies

Currently, there is no intention to enable export for the server. As far as I understand Tacview can stream all the battleground situation in realtime when export enabled. Am I right?

Now I see what you're talking about. You're absolutely right that if it can in real time stream that would put everyone at an extreme disadvantage. This is something I actually hadn't thought of, but an organized squadron on their private TS and one user acting as a GCI could decimate the OPFOR.

I personally can't answer this, but I'd like somebody with more experience with Tacview to do so. I've only ever viewed and used the replay post match.

In regards to points(score), we plane to make ranking system that will be based not on total score but on Score multiplied by diffetent coeficients dependant on such efficiency stats like K/D, GK/D, kill/hour etc. I'm currently looking for optimal formula. If you suggest your variant on such a formula, I'll definitely consider it.

I'm curious about what sort of play style you want to encourage? Points and rankings should follow the intent of the scenario designer. Do you want to encourage more A2A or A2G? Should points track carefully to an objective? Right now the scenario I've played (Normandy Anticipation) tracks toward destroying the three ground target group, which in my mind encourages A2G with cooperation tied in with proper air cover (when this happens).

-SLACK

Now I see what you're talking about. You're absolutely right that if it can in real time stream that would put everyone at an extreme disadvantage. This is something I actually hadn't thought of, but an organized squadron on their private TS and one user acting as a GCI could decimate the OPFOR.

I personally can't answer this, but I'd like somebody with more experience with Tacview to do so. I've only ever viewed and used the replay post match.

-SLACK

This situation can already happen with the use of the F11 view.

Personally I don't fly for points or ranking (they are nice to have on the side though). I fly to learn and improve.

Slack- If there are other ww2 servers that have data export enabled I would love the names of them so I can spend some time in them and learn how to get better against people :)

Since we are (at least for now) only dealing with ground targets that have their locations clearly indicated in both the briefing and on radio coms (that even tell you where the enemy are if they are attacking them). I see no additional advantage to be gained from having possible real time situational knowledge, IF it is even possible... is it an internet rumor or is it a legitimate issue?

Personally, I think the more skilled WW2 pilots we have the better. As a new player it can get incredibly frustrating to get killed over and over and over by people that have years of experience on me and not have the slightest idea where I made the first wrong move. Tacview isn't going to make their hard earned skills obsolete quickly. I think what it will do is help newer players get their feet wet and get up to speed in months rather than years. I think that would be a good thing for the WW2 community but I am only one voice out of many.

I'm not trying to stir the pot! If the decision is no data export and that is final I am 100% ok with that. I just though I would ask :thumbup:

I thought about what things ranking should encourage and crystalized few main points:

1. To actively participate in action and mission objectives

2. To care about pilot life and eject at extreme danger

3. To return the aircraft to allied airfield

4. To be able to gain ranking via A2A and A2G playstyle equally.

Now I'm thinking what parameters I should put into formula to represent these things

Burning Skies

Slack- If there are other ww2 servers that have data export enabled I would love the names of them so I can spend some time in them and learn how to get better against people :)

Hey Integrals! I'm pretty confident the Dogs of War (another excellent objective play server) and the Air Combat Group servers both allow export into Tacview. The Russian hosted Airquake server that's always up (and definitely fun for a quick thrill) also allows it. I honestly think the Burning Skies server is the only one that doesn't allow it. I tell you what man, Tacview took my skills to the next level, I can't recommend it enough. Until the replay system is functional again, I hate to say it since its an additional financial burden for some, but its nearly necessary for any serious WWII player.

Personally, I think the more skilled WW2 pilots we have the better. As a new player it can get incredibly frustrating to get killed over and over and over by people that have years of experience on me and not have the slightest idea where I made the first wrong move. Tacview isn't going to make their hard earned skills obsolete quickly. I think what it will do is help newer players get their feet wet and get up to speed in months rather than years. I think that would be a good thing for the WW2 community but I am only one voice out of many.

I couldn't agree with you more. I own a variety of DCS modules, but IMHO the WWII modules are the only ones that actually make you a better pilot (not just player, but pilot). They force every player to be at least competent in a highly realistic, high fidelity aircraft even before hopping on to the servers, and the lessons you learn from BFM are directly applicable to the modern jets. The WWII modules force you to become an excellent dog-fighter and that only makes you a better pilot all around. I can't say enough about Tacview, but Tacview,lots of fighting (both AI and humans) combined with good literature on the subjects (Art of the Pursuit and others) has helped me immensely since I started playing in July.

J.E. Johnson said it best, "Great pilots are made, not born." There is no substitute from flying, fighting and learning. Experience and luck seem to be the ingredients to success in DCS, which bodes well since realistically those are the ingredients to success in real life combat.

-SLACK

Personally I don't fly for points or ranking (they are nice to have on the side though). I fly to learn and improve.

Since we are (at least for now) only dealing with ground targets that have their locations clearly indicated in both the briefing and on radio coms (that even tell you where the enemy are if they are attacking them). I see no additional advantage to be gained from having possible real time situational knowledge, IF it is even possible... is it an internet rumor or is it a legitimate issue?

I'm not trying to stir the pot! If the decision is no data export and that is final I am 100% ok with that. I just though I would ask :thumbup:

how do you use the radio coms on the server?

I too would like to know how to use the radio coms on the sever.

I also tried hitting F11 in the sever just now, and nothing happened.

In addition, I crashed on approach when I saw another aircraft inbound on the opposite end of the runway. My sincerest apologies for that. Is there a reason why the ATC doesn't seem to be working? I tried every channel in the 109.

-SLACK

how do you use the radio coms on the server?

Since all aircraft have to have the channel frequencies set in the mission editor I guess its up to eekz on how/if to do them. I think Channel A is Novorossiysk ATC, not sure what Krymsk ATC is. I could also be 100% wrong and talking into the æther when I use them.

It is also entirely possible that the radios aren't set up to the ATC frequency. Then maybe as long as all of the aircraft are set to the same frequency you could at least hear pilots requests? I don't know. Usually the in game comms are pretty dead with the exception of the ground troops. When they are being attacked they broadcast on Channel D(51)/ Square(109/190):

I will put them into last channel of radio stations ("D" for P-51s and Square for German planes). If you don't want to hear them just switch channel to another one.

Edited by Integrals

Tried it out. To me the labels were just black. Do I need to change something in a file somewhere?

Thanks.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Hey Integrals! I'm pretty confident the Dogs of War (another excellent objective play server) and the Air Combat Group servers both allow export into Tacview. The Russian hosted Airquake server that's always up (and definitely fun for a quick thrill) also allows it. I honestly think the Burning Skies server is the only one that doesn't allow it. I tell you what man, Tacview took my skills to the next level, I can't recommend it enough. Until the replay system is functional again, I hate to say it since its an additional financial burden for some, but its nearly necessary for any serious WWII player.

-SLACK

Looking back thru my Tacview folder I don't see any files from the ACG server :(. I know I have been in there fairly recently but the only files that aren't empty (1KB) are either from SP or the virtual aerobatics server that I spend time on when no one is in the WW2 servers.

I'll look for the DoW server as well. I know I've flown there but it has been a very long time as this and the ACG servers are usually where I see people.

Tried it out. To me the labels were just black. Do I need to change something in a file somewhere?

Thanks.

Mine also appear black.

Looking back thru my Tacview folder I don't see any files from the ACG server :(. I know I have been in there fairly recently but the only files that aren't empty (1KB) are either from SP or the virtual aerobatics server that I spend time on when no one is in the WW2 servers.

You're right. The ACG server also doesn't allow export. Darn man, that's a huge shame. I'm also switching to the P-51D since there are way too many 109s now. I empathize greatly with your other thread regarding how difficult it is to be a Pony driver in DCS.

I will say I'm starting to rack up some more points now in Burning Skies when nobody is on the servers and I'm able to load up my P-51D with rockets and shoot up Red's troops with near impunity. At least that task is nearly impossible in the 109.

-SLACK

Edited by karlmeyer25