Hitting a moving target with Mirage/GBU/JTAC

Steinsch

Hi,

Has anyone managed to hit a moving vehicle with a GBU-12, with a JTAC/AFAC assisting in lasing?

It seems my GBUs sort of find the target (fins moving and flight path altered), but home in on a position from which the target is long gone when the bomb impacts.

I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Edited by Steinsch

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

Has anyone managed to hit a moving vehicle with a GBU-12, with a JTAC/AFAC assisting in lasing?

It seems my GBUs sort of find the target (fins moving and flight path altered), but home in on a position from which the target is long gone when the bomb impacts.

I had the same issue tonight, was curious if anyone else had the same issue as well, seems someone did.

I was using a ground JTAC in this case, an armed HMMWV, and after several attempts I finally got a type 2 with WP and laser which is what I configured in the FAC assign group section. I was getting a few no mark and WP only, then kept saying cannot comply, before I got the WP and laser.

In any case, I had the same issue - was using an F-5E with 4xGBU-12s, but same result. Got the smoke, indicated to turn on the laser, and each time the bomb tracked perfectly but to a spot BEHIND the moving vehicles. I'm wondering if this is a bug or just a limitation of AI JTAC to only be affective with static targets.

AI jtac (predator) can lase movers in my experience. (Harrier).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

AI jtac (predator) can lase movers in my experience. (Harrier).

I can make the Predator lase the moving unit, and the bomb will start homing onto a location where the target was, at some point. The bomb always impacts behind the target.

Have you managed to score a direct GBU hit with the help of a Predator?

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

GBU on Panel missing

Hi guys,

loaded my beloved Mirage with some GBU´s, on central station a big GBU-24, on the inner stations a GBU-12 each. Unfortunately the weaponspanel doesn´t show the GBU-24 and on the VTB-Testscreen theres´s one GBU-12 missing (see screenshot).

Any suggestions what happended there?

Kind regards,

Stefan

Screen_190302_184828.thumb.png.595d754ec5e223f4233cca844838dad7.png

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

For air-to-ground ordinance, I believe you have to use the same weapon type on all pylons. Thus you can't mix GBU-24 and GBU-12. Try using all GBU-12 next time on the inner/belly pylons (air-to-air weaponry can also be used in conjunction of course on the outer pylons).

For air-to-ground ordinance, I believe you have to use the same weapon type on all pylons. Thus you can't mix GBU-24 and GBU-12. Try using all GBU-12 next time on the inner/belly pylons (air-to-air weaponry can also be used in conjunction of course on the outer pylons).

Hmm, think i´ve heard something of "don´t mix ordnance" anywhere before... Thought it would mean don´t use AA with AG. I´ll give it a try using only small GBUs... ;-) Or just the big one anlone on CL...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

I can make the Predator lase the moving unit, and the bomb will start homing onto a location where the target was, at some point. The bomb always impacts behind the target.

Have you managed to score a direct GBU hit with the help of a Predator?

I'm not sure if it was direct, but I use a convoy of BTR-80's for target practice and 1 gbu12=1 kill. I didn't really look to see if it was hitting slightly behind the target.

I haven't tried it in the mirage, mostly because I don't really fly it much.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

You can't mix any weapon except with the magics.

In your screenshot you are mixing rockets, GBU-12 and GBU-24. You can only do rockets + magics or GBU-12 + magics or GBU-24 + magics.

The 530D should not be mixed with AG weapon too.

You're right, I forgot about the 530D's.. as per the manual:

WEAPONS

The M-2000C can load a number of different air - to - air missiles and air - to -

ground munitions. However, due to limitations of the targeting computer, it is not

possible to mix Super 530D missiles with air-to-ground weapons, and not possible

either to mix different kinds of air-to-ground weapons. Doing so (for instance

rockets and bombs, Mk-82s and Belougas etc.) may result in system not being able

to handle the configuration and thus not work properly.

Do not mix air - to ground weapons, use only one type for the mission.

Failing to do so may result in inability to deliver any munitions.

Thanks guys, i think thats what i needed to know... ;-)

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Hi,

I have been using the CTLD JTAC mod with great success on moving targets.

In my home made missions I don't use the standard JTAC anymore. I find it's buggy. It's also very slow, due to all the radio too and frowing! By the time your up to "spot" the moving vehicle target has either gone out of range or moved behind cover!:cry:

CTLD is autonomous and fast.

Give ctld a try, there are a few You Tube video tutorials you can search. Once you have added the lines a few times into the editor, it's straightforward. With ctld the JTAC will digitally tell you when the lased target is destroyed and give you his next target, together with lat/long coords as well. You can specify the type of target he will laze. For example "armour", ""AAA" or "All".

If you give JTAC a good location along an eneny route, he will keep informing you of all targeted vehicles passing his position. All this is done "quietly" by on screen info, so it doesn't interfere with other comms!:thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

• 3 months later...
Hi guys,

loaded my beloved Mirage with some GBU´s, on central station a big GBU-24, on the inner stations a GBU-12 each. Unfortunately the weaponspanel doesn´t show the GBU-24 and on the VTB-Testscreen theres´s one GBU-12 missing (see screenshot).

Any suggestions what happended there?

Kind regards,

Stefan

Hi, where did you find this weapons loadout?

Asrock Z270 pro4, i7 6700, gtx 1070

Hi, where did you find this weapons loadout?

Well, I simply attached those weapons in ME...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

I mean this screen with plane :)

Oh, yeah, when you hold the "Testswitch" to the right of the radarscreen, you can check the loadout...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Oh, yeah, when you hold the "Testswitch" to the right of the radar screen, you can check the loadout...

Thanks for the reply :) I will check it later. Can you also help me on one other stuff.

How the hell this guy drops of GBU without CCRP mode :)

Thank you

Asrock Z270 pro4, i7 6700, gtx 1070

Thanks for the reply :) I will check it later. Can you also help me on one other stuff.

How the hell this guy drops of GBU without CCRP mode :)

Thank you

This is a 2016 video. Systems have changed since then...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

• 6 months later...

To my knowledge. Misses regarding moving targets is also dependant on target speed.

I've had many issues with LGB's falling about 20-50m short, if the moving targets move at maximum speed. (The targets in the video is moving rather slow).

This is not a problem with the M-2000, it's a problem with LGB's and laser guidance.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick