DCS and Oculus Link

Larkis

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-quest-at-oc6-introducing-hand-tracking-oculus-link-passthrough-on-quest-and-more/

Short Story: Oculus Quest will get a Firmware Update to act like a pc-grounded VR-System.

The pc will generate the images as usual and stream it via usb3 to the headset.

Does anyone know if DCS will support this?

I do not think Oculus Link requires support from game developers to stream games from the PC to the Quest, other than having support for VR already.

Link will work with both Oculus and non Oculus games.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

However, we were also told that Oculus Link will allow Quest to play “most” Rift content, but not “all.” They didn’t explain why all apps wouldn’t work, though my gut tells me that there could be some apps that use novel rendering that won’t work with Oculus Link’s unique compression pipeline, or perhaps they’re covering their bases on some other technical edge-cases. They also added that developers could opt out of having their Rift apps work with Quest via Oculus Link if they so choose.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-link-makes-oculus-quest-feel-like-a-native-pc-vr-headset-oculus-connect-6/

That is the source for my concerns.

I doubt there will be any problem, however quality and performance will remain to be seen.

We will know soon enough with the Beta Link being available in Nov.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...
My son has a Quest and has just ordered the Oculus recommended cable, from Amazon, so hopefully tomorrow i will be able to compare the performance of that with my now ageing Rift CV1.

Do you know which cable?

Don B

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01E9W8KYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4fZ0DbY3YS1QQ

Was linked on the official Oculus blog. The 6ft one.

Yeah after looking closer I had found and just ordered it, thanks.,

Curiosity and all...

Don B

It'll be interesting to see how it performs

My "gut" feel is it will not be so great in DCS, however it certainly will open a lot of games/experiences up for Quest owners from the Rift side of things.

Don B

That's what I'll be doing and I will post here when I have. I think it will probably be clearer, but whether it convinces me to buy one, or a rift s instead, remains to be seen.

Great cant wait. My quest will arrive in 2 days and currently i only have a 3m usb3 wire + an usb-3 to usb-c from my handy loader. I think that will not be a comparable experience.

I have a cable on order should be here in a day or two, will be interesting to see how this works.

A review:

Don B

Image quality is sightly better than CV1 (once you disable Oculus AA).

The readability of coclpits for A10C, F/A-18 and F-15C is almost the same.

72Hz is fine, but when you hit ASW, 36Hz is much worst than 45Hz.

The worst part is sound and weigth.

I wouldn't recommend a purchase for someone who plays mainly fligh sims.

I would recommend it a lot for gamers that play flight sims ocasionally

Edited by cercata

Ugh the cable I ordered from Amazon shows delivery between 20th and 23rd. Hoping it gets here tomorrow.

Don B

Image quality is sightly better than CV1 (once you disable Oculus AA).

The readability of coclpits for A10C, F/A-18 and F-15C is almost the same.

72Hz is fine, but when you hit ASW, 36Hz is much worst than 45Hz.

The worst part is sound and weigth.

I wouldn't recommend a purchase for someone who plays mainly fligh sims.

I would recommend it a lot for gamers that play flight sims ocasionally

Thanks! So i guess a Rift S would be a better way to go.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

Thanks! So i guess a Rift S would be a better way to go.

I guess so, I wish someone with both could say how much sharper DCS is from Quest to Rift S, and from Rift S to Reverb.

I wonder how long the battery will do that. I read normaly the quest has power for 2-3hours. But the Quest will mostly do nothing except tracking. Maybe 3-4 hours?

It's also getting power from the USB cable, so even more than 4h in theory.

USB A aparently doesn't have enought power for Quest Charging, but USB C yes, so in theory with an USB C <--> USB C cable it should be infinite runtime.

Edited by cercata

Link works really well for most games, but my compute seems to be struggling with DCS. Intel i5-6500 with 16gb ram, Nvidia 1070.

In the F16, I'm getting 20-25 fps on the ramp and 30-35 fps in the air. The stuttering seems so bad that it's almost unplayable. The immersion is totally killed. I have all settings to Low, deleted the FXO and Metashaders2 folder and run a DCS repair. Feels like i'm playing LOMAC from 10 years ago with the graphic fidelity.

I'm running the game at High on all settings in TrackIR and it is much more beautiful and text more ledgible. Perhaps my system is not optimised for VR.

THe other tutorial games that come with Oculus setup work really well - almost indistinguishable from the native Quest version (which is incredibly good).

Edited by crispy12

I wonder how long the battery will do that. I read normaly the quest has power for 2-3hours. But the Quest will mostly do nothing except tracking. Maybe 3-4 hours?

You don't have to worry about the battery issue. I played for 2 hours and the battery level only went down to may 90%. I subsequently used my browser to surf the net for a while without disconnecting the cable and the Quest charged to full (green charge light) within that time.

No matter how you cut it, the Link technology is pushing the video through more of a pipeline than native PC-VR. DCS is already very resource hungry for VR as it is.

I look forward to comparing my Quest with Link to my Rift S, whenever my cable does finally get here. Apparently there has been a rush on the Oculus recommended Anker cable.

It would have been nice had Oculus had their own cable ready to order at the time of the Beta release of Link.

Don B