What to do with this module? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #21
Ala13_ManOWar

Reputation power: 13
Ala13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokol1_br View Post
Be warned that most people in dogfight server are veterans with thousand of hours in online combat, avid for novice appears for they "chew up".
It's been repeatedly said over this same post, but that's why I tried to cheer him up a couple of responses earlier,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ala13_ManOWar View Post
Yep, the real purpose of all this thing is going online. With-against humans, even in the same map, the same missions, it's quite different every time and a whole different experience. Have a go, though bear in mind those flying online already have a lot of combat experience against humans. Don't leave it right at the beginning in case you don't get the results you expect, it requires some time getting used to that scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post
I went on Burning Skies a couple of times, and couldn't see any other planes. I have labels on, but couldn't see any!
Yes, as fellows already explained, spotting is inherently difficult to DCS at the moment (a solution is on the work AFAIK). Anyway don't give up, you can learn the clues to spotting aircraft, and that BS server aid with labels can help either. Always check the number of people online in a server at joining, but also during your flight. Should by coincidence be only a few people at the beginning when you join the server, they can leave and go unnoticed, so there is a chance you are truly alone in a server. People online is seen at the briefing and aircraft selection screens IIRC. Also, check for the combat areas, they are usually amid the way from both available bases. You can ask in the chat where is the action as well, sometimes it moves and finding enemies is not so easy. Then again, also check the numbers every team have, sometimes on side gets all the pilots while the other is almost alone, if there are say 8 allied pilots and only 2 Germans it will be really difficult to find them, and it happens more usually than one can think, so it's always better trying to even the teams at joining.

Anyhow, multiplayer is a tough world, plenty of very experienced people to cope with and that's true for any game out there, so DCS is any different. But gaining experience is not a so bad time, and every kill they make at you is a lesson to be learnt. It can be important to fly with more people, being alone in multiplayer can be a bit stressing and disappointing at first, but even getting killed online is better with more people to comment and may be teach you some things if you need so.

S!

Last edited by Ala13_ManOWar; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Ala13_ManOWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM   #22
imacken

Reputation power: 1
imacken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
Ok a couple of tips. Run DCS at your native resolution. Turn OFF all Antialiasing.
If I ran at native - 5120x2880 - I wouldn't be able to see anything! I run at 2560x1440. Good tip though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
When you join the server, you have to press left-shift + F10 keys to "enable" labels. This will mean that you can see this "dot". However, don't expect wonders. I would say it makes contact spotting about 25% easier than normal.
Also, the bigger your monitor (physical size in cm), the easier it will be to spot contacts. I've found this to be true in every single flight sim I've ever flown.

It takes a long, long time when playing full-realism online to learn to spot aircraft. My advice is to prioritise your looking in the area of sky behind and above. Think about protecting your ass as your first job. "Hunting" as an aggressor is secondary.

Also, try to get online with someone else. Practice flying away from each other and seeing how far away you can still see each other. Then make some turns and try to maintain visual contact. Look away, and then look back to see how long it takes you to re-acquire the contact...
Do some aggressive maneuvers and see if you can maintain visual contact during..

Practice is important, like any skill out there. If you can find some simple "drills" like the above to practice then you will improve.
As usual, some excellent tips there, Phil. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyforDCS View Post
Just to add to this and remove a potential source of confusion. If you have labels enabled by default in your game options, pressing LSHIFT + F10 will disable them.
Does that mean if I have labels enabled, then I don't have to do anything? The labels should show up?

So, I did a little sortie on B-skies. I flew from Novorossiysk to Anapa and back - and survived! Although, to be fair, I think there were only 2 enemy planes on the whole map! I did get shot at near Anapa though. Could that have been ground artillery?
imacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
OnlyforDCS

OnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really niceOnlyforDCS is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacken View Post

Does that mean if I have labels enabled, then I don't have to do anything? The labels should show up?
Yes.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #24
Krupi

Reputation power: 9
Krupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the rough

Hey Imacken,

I am in the middle of moving at the moment but I hope to be flying again sometime in the next week or two.

I think Phil nailed DCS Online with his previous comment, however do not get turned off by the seemingly negative remarks from some posters, yes it is hard online... the learning curve is steep and you have to prepared to die however it is tremendous fun especially when you are flying with Teamspeak.

Once Normandy is out then things will change I am sure, I cannot wait for more tactic based online servers

Project IX Cockpit
Krupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #25
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupi View Post
Hey Imacken,

I am in the middle of moving at the moment but I hope to be flying again sometime in the next week or two.

I think Phil nailed DCS Online with his previous comment, however do not get turned off by the seemingly negative remarks from some posters, yes it is hard online... the learning curve is steep and you have to prepared to die however it is tremendous fun especially when you are flying with Teamspeak.

Once Normandy is out then things will change I am sure, I cannot wait for more tactic based online servers
I wondered why you've been so quiet!
Give me a shout when you're back in the game and maybe we could have a little hook up again. I'll try and get some practice in!
I hope the house move goes OK!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #26
imacken

A couple of basic questions for you, guys.
I have dipped my toes into B-skies a few times today, and although I know this is largely a dogfight server, I just wondered about the target aspect of this.
I suppose, as I am flying during the UK daytime, that most people won't be around, but there are usually only 2 or 3 other planes, so I have managed to avoid (if that is the right term!) any fighting so far.
So, I decided to try and have a look at the set targets 1-3. Even though I passed over where the symbols are in the briefing graphic, I couldn't really see what the target was supposed to be. Should it be obvious?
Old 04-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
RedShoes

Reputation power: 2
RedShoes is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is pretty obvious what the ground targets are.
Just fly over them at low altitude and they should be shooting at you. ;-)
If you can't still find them, check out the saved track either in tacview or mission editor.
Do you have tacview installed? If not, check it out.
The saved track should be saved in C:\Users\[user name]\Saved Games\DCS\Tracks\Multiplayer
and for the BS server mission it should be named something like NORMANDY1944_ANTICIPATION-[date]-[time].trk
You can check it on tacview or you can rename it to .miz and look at it on the mission editor in game.

If I remember correctly, the BS server exports only current player data, so you can not really review aerial battles from BS server in tacview at the moment (as you see only your own aircraft), but there are other servers that save all the planes including opponents (mostly with 10 minute delay to avoid cheating). That is a great way after a mission to analyse what went wrong or what was well done during a mission.

As indicated earlier by others, just jump on the TS of the online server you are logging in to and talk to people there. Mostly people are very helpful and friendly.

If you feel you still struggle too much with multiplayer for your liking, play around a bit with the DCS mission editor. Check a youtube video or two on the mission editor and after couple of hours you should be able to setup simple missions your self or for example play a multiplayer online mission alone attacking ground targets or AI units if you rename the .trk to .miz as I wrote above in the first chapter.
RedShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #28
imacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstyle View Post
It takes a long, long time when playing full-realism online to learn to spot aircraft. My advice is to prioritise your looking in the area of sky behind and above. Think about protecting your ass as your first job. "Hunting" as an aggressor is secondary.
Phil, I'm having real problems with spotting. Even in your videos!
If we take 'By the skin....' video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CR6MJOxCiU) and go to 18:10 when you say 'here we go', I can't see the plane. I can only see it at 18:14, and that is briefly when it just seems to 'appear'! Fully visible from 18:16.
I thought that part of this for me was a screen res thing, as when I reduced my res from 1440p to 720p, I felt that the planes in Instant Action Dogfighting were easier to see from a distance, but now that I even struggle on some of your videos, I'm not so sure.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #29
RedShoes

Reputation power: 2
RedShoes is on a distinguished road

Please remember that youtube videos are highly compressed. You will not necessarily see the dot in a youtube video that the player himself did see on the screen while playing.

What kind of monitor are you using? resolution and refresh rate?
What are your game settings.
I find that for the best spotting and target tracking you should run native monitor resolution with;
MSAA x2 or x4 (off, is even better for spotting, but looks too ugly for me)
Anistrophic Filtering x2 or x4
HDR, Depth of Field & Lens effects off.

removing clutter/grass and low trees visibility can help on spotting against ground

as a last resort for spotting the dot, you can try running the game at a resolution lower than your monitor native resolution, i.e. if you have a 2560x1440 monitor, try it at 1920x1080.
It makes it look very ugly, but you might see the one pixel dot now easier as it is scaled up to several pixels on your 2560x1440 screen.

Remember, spotting and target tracking is a skill that you develop over the time. You learn to spot the dot and you learn to anticipate aircraft movement and know where to look for the enemy as you improve your skills.

It might help in the beginning to pratice spotting in single player with labels changed to just red dots (instead of black/gray dots as in BS server).
Edit your labels.lua file for that under C:\Users\[User name]\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View
RedShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #30
razo+r
Veteran

razo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nicerazo+r is just really nice

Spotting planes really depends on the contrast behind it. If you are both level to each other, you should be able to easily see him (no terrain behind him). If he's above or below, it will be harder, except against the spit, where the prop is really visible at the moment, but it still requires some skill to see it's prop.

For multiplayer, depends on which altitude you are, you will find either a lot or no one. (make sure you read the briefing and not fly in the wrong direction)