Fight's On! DCS: F-14 Update - Page 13 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #121
Robert31178

Reputation power: 2
Robert31178 is on a distinguished road

Dalan, did you mean you've logged real carrier landings, or in the game here?
Robert31178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #122
Xenovia

Reputation power: 5
Xenovia has a spectacular aura aboutXenovia has a spectacular aura aboutXenovia has a spectacular aura aboutXenovia has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31178 View Post
That's what i was wondering
Old 03-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #123
Victory205

Reputation power: 0
Victory205 will become famous soon enoughVictory205 will become famous soon enough

Brings back fond memories, but I don't remember the HUD being that jittery to update. It wasn't perfectly smooth, but it also didn't bother you at all because you were looking through transparent symbology.

The video made it look quite annoying.

Also don't recall being able to see that much of the horizontal stabilizer in flight. The virtual pilot has to have the stick in his sternum, and alpha off of the charts...

Edit: Could be that the perspective is from the RIO's seat?

There is one little detail about the VDI that if modeled, will proffer an unprecedented amount of detail. The darker green "ground" side of the display had horizontal trapezoid shapes that moved from the horizon towards the bottom of the display (when the aircraft was upright, of course). They were wider at the bottom than at the top, meant to show perspective. The A6 had the same trapezoids, but their display was oblong, like an old color TV set.

We called them, "cow patties".

Last edited by Victory205; 03-22-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Victory205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:56 PM   #124
probad

Reputation power: 8
probad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really niceprobad is just really nice

the manual makes it sound like those ground markers changed shape according to the aircraft's orientation to the ground to simulate the change in perspective, any information on that?
probad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:58 PM   #125
Victory205

Victory205 will become famous soon enoughVictory205 will become famous soon enough

Well, sort of. The trapezoids started at the horizon line and moved towards the outer edge of the case. If you were straight and level, then the cow patties would move from horizon line to bottom of the VDI. They did change shape, but only along the vanishing point lines.

In other words, the cow patties started small, and got larger as they moved towards the pilot. Smaller at the top, larger at the bottom, the whole enchilada growing as it moved from the horizon line to the outer edge of the screen.

They looked like this, and were staggered left and right in multiple columns, oriented along a vanishing point at the middle point of the horizon.

_
/ \
¯¯
They did not change perspective according to pitch or roll or anything else. The behavior was consistent and exactly the same no matter what the aircraft attitude. The VDI was not a good instrument for extremely nose high or nose low recoveries. The old AJB3 "eight ball" with heading and pitch marks on the display was a better device (F4/A4). In fact, Naval Aviators used to do full aerobatics under the instrument hood using that device.

The F14 display deficiencies probably resulted in the loss of a few airplanes where the pilot go disoriented during extreme nose high maneuvers.

See Nashville and Oceana for example.

Last edited by Victory205; 03-24-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #126
Cobra847
3rd Party Developer

Reputation power: 41
Cobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to allCobra847 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory205 View Post
Brings back fond memories, but I don't remember the HUD being that jittery to update. It wasn't perfectly smooth, but it also didn't bother you at all because you were looking through transparent symbology.

The video made it look quite annoying.

Also don't recall being able to see that much of the horizontal stabilizer in flight. The virtual pilot has to have the stick in his sternum, and alpha off of the charts...

Edit: Could be that the perspective is from the RIO's seat?

There is one little detail about the VDI that if modeled, will proffer an unprecedented amount of detail. The darker green "ground" side of the display had horizontal trapezoid shapes that moved from the horizon towards the bottom of the display (when the aircraft was upright, of course). They were wider at the bottom than at the top, meant to show perspective. The A6 had the same trapezoids, but their display was oblong, like an old color TV set.

We called them, "cow patties".
The HUD will certainly look much more correct once it is complete. Thank you for the input!

The "cow patties" are already in and working; but still need quite a bit of work to perfect them.

Since you seem to speak from experience; we'd love to talk more with you! If you're interested in helping us out with some more pilot oriented knowledge, we'd love to hear from you: nicholas.dackard@gmail.com or you can PM me here as well.

Thanks!
Nick

Director | Lead Artist
Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/
Cobra847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #127
captain_dalan

Reputation power: 4
captain_dalan has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain_dalan has a spectacular aura aboutcaptain_dalan has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert31178 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenovia View Post
That's what i was wondering
LOL, i wish. Nah, i was talking about that other sim. I had it mothballed for some 6-7 months as i hadn't really got the time to fly much these days. But i did plug it in last weekend (2 bags, 2 54's, 3 7's and 2 9's, 4000lbs of fuel) and the muscle memory is still there. Took me 4 bolters but i got her down centerlined, 500 ft per minute decent, 6.8 degrees alpha, 128 knots, 4th wire. I know, kinda shallow and iffy but it was 6 months after all.
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 12:34 AM   #128
Victory205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra847 View Post
The HUD will certainly look much more correct once it is complete. Thank you for the input!

The "cow patties" are already in and working; but still need quite a bit of work to perfect them.

Since you seem to speak from experience; we'd love to talk more with you! If you're interested in helping us out with some more pilot oriented knowledge, we'd love to hear from you: nicholas.dackard@gmail.com or you can PM me here as well.

Thanks!
Nick
Will get in touch in a week or so. Extremely busy at the moment.

Flew the F14A for eight years, three cruises, 425 carrier landings on five boats (as we aviators called aircraft carriers to piss off the black shoe Navy).

Trying to find time to get into DCS a bit.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #129
Cibit
Veteran

Reputation power: 42
Cibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to allCibit is a name known to all

Quote:
Will get in touch in a week or so. Extremely busy at the moment.

Flew the F14A for eight years, three cruises, 425 carrier landings on five boats (as we aviators called aircraft carriers to piss off the black shoe Navy).

Trying to find time to get into DCS a bit.
Sweet this is what I love about this community

Can't wait for this to be released best of luck with it guys

Cibit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 03:02 PM   #130
Home Fries

Reputation power: 14
Home Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really niceHome Fries is just really nice

Quote:
Awesome. I was a VP guy, but then got a chance to play with CVW-17 and CVW-8 (BG staff and CAG staff) and had a lot more fun! With the name Victory, did you fly with 84/103?

First time I told my dad I was going "out to the boat" he asked (in a smart-aleckey way) if we were trapping on subs now. I told him we referred to the CV as "the boat" to piss off the 'shoes and he cracked up. He was old school brown shoe navy (CVA-47).

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

My DCS Files and Skins
My AJS-37 Viggen Skins
My DCS TARGET Profile for Cougar or Warthog and MFDs
Home Fries is offline   Reply With Quote