Stuck on mission Su33 Cap3.miz - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 03:39 AM   #1
mj3437

Reputation power: 6
mj3437 is on a distinguished road
Default Stuck on mission Su33 Cap3.miz

I don't see a Su33 forum so I'll post this here. I have come back to the Sea Dragon campaign after being stuck on this mission before. !4 or 16 armed speedboats attack the carrier group and my wingman and I have to stop them. My wingy does pretty good at taking them out, but I can't for the life of me see them well enough to get a bead on them before I have to pull off or crash in the drink. I can see a wake and have tried to aim in front of it but without seeing the actual boat it is extremely difficult and I have yet to protect the carrier group. Is there a tactic one uses, or do certain speedboats need to be hit to stop the attack? Any and all ideas are greatly needed.
I have tried zooming in but it makes my target fixation even worse
MJ
mj3437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Ironhand
Veteran

Reputation power: 39
Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

If I interpreted the mission file correctly, you need 50% destruction of speedboats in each group and the ships must survive for mission success.

I haven't flown the mission myself but you might try exchanging your FAB-500s for RBK- 500s. I've had good luck against speedboats with those. I have a YT video up on the Flankertraining Channel that has attacking speedboats with them as part of the video's subject matter.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Ironhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #3
mj3437

Thanks for the tips, Ironhand. I'll look for your video.
MJ
Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
MadDog-IC

Reputation power: 10
MadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj3437 View Post
I don't see a Su33 forum so I'll post this here. I have come back to the Sea Dragon campaign after being stuck on this mission before. 16 armed speedboats attack the carrier group and my wingman and I have to stop them.

My wingy does pretty good at taking them out, but I can't for the life of me see them well enough to get a bead on them before I have to pull off or crash in the drink. I can see a wake and have tried to aim in front of it but without seeing the actual boat it is extremely difficult and I have yet to protect the carrier group.
Quote:
Is there a tactic one uses, or do certain speedboats need to be hit to stop the attack?
These speed boats have hard core terrorists in them, they will stop at nothing and for nothing. You must kill any and all speedboats getting close to any of the fleets ships, as losing any one of the ships is a mission failure.

Mission success is only when all speed boats are destroyed any your fleet is intact.

Quote:
Any and all ideas are greatly needed.
I have tried zooming in but it makes my target fixation even worse
No expert with the Su-33, but you can try different load outs, etc. (Rockets seem to work best, along with gun fire). As for aiming, I would have the same problem, zooming is it I am afraid to say.

FYI: This campaign was upgraded some time back, so the mission requirements have changed to older version, so some YT videos may not be the way it looks and feels now.

Regards, Ian.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #5
Ironhand
Veteran

Ironhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to allIronhand is a name known to all

FWIW, I had a few minutes this AM and jumped into the cockpit to see what things looked like. I had no trouble spotting the speedboats without zooming. Is it, perhaps, a matter of graphics settings? My water is set to "high" I believe. The rest is set high as well. Those boats are traveling 90 km/hr so they have quit a wake to follow.

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 16GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:16 PM   #6
mj3437

I can see the wake but am having a hard time seeing the actual boat. I will try leading the wake more than I have been and see if that makes a difference.
MJ
Old 04-21-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
mj3437

One more question. What is the difference between the RBK cluster bombs and the KMGU dispensers?
Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #8
Ironhand
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj3437 View Post
One more question. What is the difference between the RBK cluster bombs and the KMGU dispensers?
They submunitions they carry aside, the biggest difference is one of delivery. The RBKs are bombs. They detach and fall before releasing their submunitions. The KMGU dispensers remain on the wings, open, and distribute their submunitions along your flight path as you fly.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 AM   #9
DarkFire

Reputation power: 19
DarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of lightDarkFire is a glorious beacon of light

A point worth remembering when using RBK cluster bombs is that the RBK bombs don't function at a set altitude but operate on a simple timer, so the lower you release them the more concentrated the submunition coverage will be. Similarly if you want wider but less dense coverage release from a higher altitude.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:04 AM   #10
MadDog-IC

Reputation power: 10
MadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the roughMadDog-IC is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that darkfire, I am just starting to come to grips with some of the russian ordinance specs myself, trying to get the Su-27 and Su-33 planes to do the missions in their respective campaigns.