Great stuff on the JHCMS

Pikey

Tested this morning whilst pretending to work from home and it is great in VR. Absolutely unobtrusive, you can defocus it, locking is natural. FPS on the HMD sighting is less than your standard game but it doesn't detract, makes it feel like a different tool in fact and didn't bother me. VR users will take to it like a duck to water, insanely natural.

No one mentioned the great SA tool in MP for your wingman. You can give him more or less a bang on direction to look at by reading the bearing to the object and elevation and it's so intuitive. "Bearing 130, 10 degrees up". You can now also look in the direction of an intended turn and call it exactly before you do it, without guessing the degrees. The interesting use is holding radar lock and monitoring a heat signature off to your side at the same time. Switching weapons and you are a less than a second away from launching radar and IR missiles in different directions.

Humbly this is such a great tool and i'd never think of a time when it wasn't useful, it probably looks better in VR than TrackIR.

It does bring me back to the "Left eye mirror" on DCS's native VR mirror image, as some people including me use it to stream and being right eye dominant I lose the HMD imagery on that recording as well as it being offset to the left. HMD is on right eye only. I find the desktop mirror for Occulus not as good as the game mirror for some reason and wish I could change that somewhere for streaming.

All in all, "looking great" if you excuse the pun.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

It does bring me back to the "Left eye mirror" on DCS's native VR mirror image, as some people including me use it to stream and being right eye dominant I lose the HMD imagery on that recording as well as it being offset to the left. HMD is on right eye only. I find the desktop mirror for Occulus not as good as the game mirror for some reason and wish I could change that somewhere for streaming.

All in all, "looking great" if you excuse the pun.

Great points.

+1

The symbology only being on one eye is a bit of an eyestrain to me. It may be realistic, but I will not be using it much for that reason.

Yeah same here. It just feels weird. But really happy its part of the sim none the less. Perhaps its time to get the old TrackIR out again :)

Or hopefully I'll get used to it. Will definately give it a go

Edited by GVO

JHMS is really great. Just crept up on a 4 ship of Mig 29s from behind with radar silent and Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom. 4 quick easy Aim 9X kills and they never saw me coming. Finally can take on a SU27 in an IR dogfight on equal terms.

With 9X and the Hornet ITR, it is far from equal. You can flare out his 73s with ease. Flanker is toast in WVR, but we are talking a decade or newer eqpt vs the venerable Flanker variant we have...

The symbology only being on one eye is a bit of an eyestrain to me. It may be realistic, but I will not be using it much for that reason.

Yea I haven't tried it yet but what you're saying is its only in one lens ? If so its definitely gonna feel weird . I've used the real JHMCS and it is only in the right eye but you can't tell it is unless you close your right eye. VR would be better to have it in both eyes because I know from before when there was a bug in the a-10 and the hud was only one eye it was giving me headaches.

Anyone think HMD is projected too low?

Yeah I feel like that as well. It feels that its in front of my mouth rather then my eyes. Its WIP, they'll likely change it :)

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Anyone think HMD is projected too low?

In VR? No. As far as on a screen goes I don’t know as I don’t use it.

Yea I haven't tried it yet but what you're saying is its only in one lens ? If so its definitely gonna feel weird . I've used the real JHMCS and it is only in the right eye but you can't tell it is unless you close your right eye. VR would be better to have it in both eyes because I know from before when there was a bug in the a-10 and the hud was only one eye it was giving me headaches.

It feels ok to me but I have a high tolerance for VR weirdness, I can see some people struggling with it. Possibly an option for “Left/Both/Right” in the special options for the Hornet would be a good idea then everybody is covered depending on what they find more comfortable, it might not be realistic but VR is hard on the eyes as it is maybe some concessions should be made for comforts sake.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Had to turn it off in VR, was only rendering in the right eye. (Oculus Rift) any know if this is intended or a bug ?

J

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

Had to turn it off in VR, was only rendering in the right eye. (Oculus Rift) any know if this is intended or a bug ?

J

Intended. It’s how it is IRL

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Looks REALLY awesome in VR! Position seems rather ok. Totally fine with it being displayed on one lens. Probably saves some FPS too.

Sorry you can't enjoy it without feeling sick. have you checked your eyesight lately? FPS is good? Do you have HMD with ASW? Might otherwise be an eye-condition of sorts... Anyways, ED maybe makes an option on the specials tab to have it projected on two eyes for those who need it?

Edited by Schmidtfire

Intended. It’s how it is IRL

Thanks for the info.

System:

I9 9900KS 5.0GHz : 2080Ti : MSI Z390 GODLike : 32Gb Vengance 4000MHz DDR4 : Samsung 970 1TB Evo Plus, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB : ViewSonic 4K 32"

Windows 10 : HOTAS - Warthog : TPR Pedals : HP Reverb Pro

I wish I could use the JHMCS to it's full extent in VR but, as I have amblyopia in my right eye, I can't make out any of the rendered text. A bit gutted that I can't enjoy it to be honest..

My rig - I5 6600k @ 4.5 - Corsair H100i GTX - Maximus Hero viii - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG edition DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte 1080ti (Overclocked) - TM Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Rudder pedals - Oculus Rift CV1

JHMCS with ASW only on one eye is really 'strange'. I hope we see an option to deal with this and make it a bit more comfortable. Using such HMDs in the real world is a bit easier since you can change the focus points which is not really possible with the VR headsets.

I agree it could be a bit brighter - other than that, it's absolutely amazing!

If you're having issues with everything feeling 'too big' try setting your IPD to around 63 or higher in the force settings for VR and you should notice everything fitting a little better!

Cheers!

+1 for a special option for both eyes - it is straining having it in the one eye and it doesn't help the readability. Even without problems in my right eye it can be hard to read in just the one eye - especially with how far away it's projected (and that's with an Odyssey with decent PD), god knows how people are coping with something like the Rift/Vive.