Marking your position on kneeboard maps

imacken

After seeing so many YT videos and posts here suggesting a lot of people are unaware that this can be done, I thought I would make a post to hopefully enlighten some that it can.

Personally, I have all kneeboard functions (on/off, left/right, mark position) mapped to Lever (pinky modifier) + TMS up/down/left/right on my HOTAS Warthog in all modules.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you will say, 'why is he posting this when we all know', but as I said above, it's after noticing a surprising number of people being unaware of this function.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Myself I use a hat up to toggle kneeboard left for previous right for next down for mark position

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

Now, I'm sure a lot of you will say, 'why is he posting this when we all know'

Personally, I only discovered the feature in my 3rd year of DCS.

So I say: useful reminder/awareness/heads up post :thumbup:

It does not hurt ;)

• Like 1

- Tony -

. My Reviews: Oilfield Campaign - Argo Campaign l My Mission: Huey Ramp Start Voice-Over New!

. Microsoft Force Feedback 2 base modded with a CH Fighterstick - VKB Sim T-Rudder Mk.IV Pedals

. Intel i5 4670K @4.3 GHz - 32 Gb DDR3 - MSI GTX 1080 - ASUS PG278QR 27" 2K @165 Hz G-Sync

Now, I'm sure a lot of you will say, 'why is he posting this when we all know', but as I said above, it's after noticing a surprising number of people being unaware of this function.

LOL, i didn't knew this up until now... time to update my Cougar profiles...:joystick:

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I knew about he call knee boards and next/last and had them mapped for a month or so.. I've only been seriously playing DCS for since the 18 came out. before that I had it for years but hardly used it.

I didn't know you could mark your location on it also to use can this be made??

Targs,

GTX 1080ti, Asus Hero XI, Intel 9900KF @4.2MHz, 32g DDR4@3200Mhz, 4x 1Tb SSD 1x 400g m.2mvme(boot), 28" Samsung 4k, Saitek X-56 Throttle/Warthog Stick and Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Moduls

All of the NATO jets, and all the choppers..

DEDi MP [62AW] The Blackbirds Brisbane

• 1 month later...

It’s not a cheat just like a pilot making his map as he pass them

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

I didn't know either! thanks for the post!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

It's cheat because if pilot doesn't know where he is because of his poor airmanship or any reason, the map will not automatically mark his position by a press of a button :)

It’s not a cheat. Just a compromise, like many other things in this ‘game’.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It’s not a cheat. Just a compromise, like many other things in this ‘game’.

Won't argue, it is subjective whether it is cheat or not.

It would be good if it is an ME option, so you are able to keep the navigation realistic on your server and people are forced to use their instruments and radio compass instead mashing the mark button.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Won't argue, it is subjective whether it is cheat or not.

It would be good if it is an ME option, so you are able to keep the navigation realistic on your server and people are forced to use their instruments and radio compass instead mashing the mark button.

But many aircraft display your position on a map on instruments anyway, e.g. A-10C.

So then they don't need this option, they have gps, ins or whatever else :)

That was just to emphasise the ‘no cheat’ thing. In WWII planes you’re flying visually, so it doesn’t matter then anyway.

That was just to emphasise the ‘no cheat’ thing. In WWII planes you’re flying visually, so it doesn’t matter then anyway.

And how it doesn't matter in ww2 ? If you need to locate a certain city on the map, you have to study the map locate some key visual references, calculate time to measure distance flown etc... having the option to automatically mark yourself on the map, removes this somewhat complex navigation part from the experience. If you want to force people on your server to must navigate with ERA appropriate methods and there is no way to remove this option, it absolutely does matter for ww2 birds. I do mostly fly saber in korea server and the same is valid there.

Anyway it is a pointless discussion, yes, the option is there. I never checked if you can remove it, or remove the default kneeboard map in the server option or ME, I really hope you can.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’ve never used MP, but I’m sure you’re right!

Personally, I only discovered the feature in my 3rd year of DCS.

So I say: useful reminder/awareness/heads up post :thumbup:

It does not hurt ;)

Which folder is that in...?

:P

Btw, I never knew all the things one could do with the kneeboard until just now. I could turn it on and off, momentarily and UFN, but didn’t even know how to turn the page.

Now by combining a modifier I can use the hat on the joystick to actually use (and thus learn) the kneeboard functions!

Thanks!

It's cheat because if pilot doesn't know where he is because of his poor airmanship or any reason, the map will not automatically mark his position by a press of a button :)

I’m sure some pilots in the past flew with a map on their knee, and a grease pencil wedged between their fingers...if it’s stupid but it works, it ain’t stupid.

I’m sure some pilots in the past flew with a map on their knee, and a grease pencil wedged between their fingers...if it’s stupid but it works, it ain’t stupid.

Why people keep saying this ? yes he will have the map and the pencil, but he must be able to judge his position manually as the paper maps before GPS came didn't have this feature to automatically mark your position :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you wish to use this ability it’s your choice in vr I rely on the kneeboard in dcs if I wasn’t in vr I would use a real one. I just wish you were. Able to relocate it on the display.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

If you wish to use this ability it’s your choice in vr I rely on the kneeboard in dcs if I wasn’t in vr I would use a real one. I just wish you were. Able to relocate it on the display.
Try with kneeboard builder app to reposition the kneeboard. Not that you can do much but you can move it around

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Why people keep saying this ? yes he will have the map and the pencil, but he must be able to judge his position manually as the paper maps before GPS came didn't have this feature to automatically mark your position :)

It’s easy to be aware of one’s position if one has a map. There are very few who “just know” where they are based on dead-reckoning...especially if something happened which distracted one from the reckoning process.

You know, like incoming flak or somesuch. ;) If there’s a map already opened to the basic area, the pilot just has to glance around at any nearby rivers, mountains, towns snd in the space of a minute or less can figure out where he is.

And mark it for future reference.

Ymmv, fyi, toodles.

After seeing so many YT videos and posts here suggesting a lot of people are unaware that this can be done, I thought I would make a post to hopefully enlighten some that it can.

Personally, I have all kneeboard functions (on/off, left/right, mark position) mapped to Lever (pinky modifier) + TMS up/down/left/right on my HOTAS Warthog in all modules.

Thank you thank you! Just mapped basic kneeboard functions to hat switch with RCtrl modifier (hat is Trim when by itself, my other "shared hat" function, Schkval/targeting cursor, is LCtrl+hat...to make it easy to remember). Test flown and checked ease of use and etc...Now I can use the kneeboard!

:)

RC+Button 2 = On/Off

RC+Down = Drop a marker (D is Down, or Drop)

RC+L = Prev Page (Reach for the left side of a book to turn back)

RC+R = Next page (To the right to go to next page)