Level Bombing Chart - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 01:10 AM   #11
Frederf
Veteran

QFE avionics bay only applies to slant range unit and RSBN letdown. Right now ASP sight only does slant range in narrow conditions which do not include manually set angles. Is this correct? I don't know. I would think that it would be very helpful in the design to use reticle growing as a way to recognize release height.

Anyway we are looking at just the cockpit altimeter which is only based on adjustment knob in the cabin. In any case the note simply reminds the pilot that the table is about heights not altitudes. The pilot should add the correction to his altitudes or set altimeter (or other systems if using slant-range unit) such that target is at 0m datum.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
KilledAlive

I think you might just use the artificial Horizon to get an idea on what degree from the ground the aircraft is pointing. The radar altimeter in dive-bombing would be quite useless.
KilledAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
foxbat155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederf View Post
QFE avionics bay only applies to slant range unit and RSBN letdown. Right now ASP sight only does slant range in narrow conditions which do not include manually set angles. Is this correct? I don't know. I would think that it would be very helpful in the design to use reticle growing as a way to recognize release height.

QFE setting device called ZDW-30 is integral part of ASP-PFD-21 set, and exist in every variant of MiG-21 equipped with this gunsight, and what interesting in earlier variants this thing was inside cockpit. Honestly I don't know how this working with gunsight because I don't have detailed technical description. From papers I have is clear that ZDW-30 is automaticaly connecting with gunsight ( together with altitude device DW-30 and AGD-1 pitch channel ) when pilot switching to "Ground" mode, whatever what kind of weapon is chosen.

From MiG-21MF cockpit.

Yep in "Ground" mode and "Manual" we should have possibility to set angles from 1,15 deg to 7deg down, and yes, according papers, reticle should start growing after cross max distance value ( setted by pilot ), but only in dive I think. Generally all pilot's manuals not recomending level bombing due low accuracy ( and that's why others aircrafts with this gunsight ( like Su-7, early Su-17 ) had separate aiming device for level bombing ).
RSBN-5 had it's own QFE settings device.
foxbat155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:23 AM   #14
Frederf
Veteran

OK, flight manual said warning when using RSBN (6S?) that Air-Ground switch should be in air setting (not ground) for cross country flight. I thought it was related to let down baro setting.

It makes sense that slant range unit kicks in at some dive angle (20°?) to calculate range. Maybe it is for AUTO and B set? I wonder if you must set a calculated span setting so that 22mil = angular size of span at calculated slant range. But "CC" position says that knob only sets reticle ring radius directly. I don't understand the sight in detail.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #15
foxbat155

Yes, I have the same problem like you, without detailed description is really hard understand differences between some gunsight's modes. But I hope soon will able get detailed manual for ASP-PFM-7 which was a variant of ASP-PFD for fighters-bombers, and maybe then everything will light up.
foxbat155 is offline   Reply With Quote