Great stuff on the JHCMS

Pikey

I agree it could be a bit brighter - other than that, it's absolutely amazing!

If you're having issues with everything feeling 'too big' try setting your IPD to around 63 or higher in the force settings for VR and you should notice everything fitting a little better!

Cheers!

I think it feels on the dim side as well, at least in my odyssey.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

how people are coping with something like the Rift/Vive.

No issue here on my end using my Rift; maybe with my in-game IPD (or, world scale, rather) set to 45 I don't experience those issues?

Really enjoying this new addition to the Hornet.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

The symbology only being on one eye is a bit of an eyestrain to me. It may be realistic, but I will not be using it much for that reason.

I so like about that detail that it is only on other eye. That is great in a KA-50 and Su-27 etc that you have it just on one eye as should.

At least we don't have the AH-64 "box" testing...

Nor look so... Well, such a "Top Gun" copy :-P

I just wait the JHCMS to get the ground marking feature to really get it in the use.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Not saying that thats not the way it is in the real thing but it just doesn't work right in vr with it only in one eye. It does not feel the same its like my eyes are constantly trying to focus on it because its only being rendered %50 of the time because of the async if it ran at 90fps it would be fine. It feels like its in both eyes with the real hmd on and the only way to simulate this would be put it in both eyes. It isn't about how it really is its about simulating how it really is .

Question about using the aim9x with the HMD. When not using the HMD and locking a target, the missile seeker automatically slaves to the target, no need to use the cage/uncage button. However, this does not happen with the HMD, at least for me. When using HMD and locking a target with radar, the seeker does not slabs. I have to manually place the seeker reticle over the target then hit uncage. Is this normal?

Question about using the aim9x with the HMD. When not using the HMD and locking a target, the missile seeker automatically slaves to the target, no need to use the cage/uncage button. However, this does not happen with the HMD, at least for me. When using HMD and locking a target with radar, the seeker does not slabs. I have to manually place the seeker reticle over the target then hit uncage. Is this normal?

Yes it's normal - but you're describing two different things by the way. If you select AIM-9Xs with the radar and HMD off, the seeker doesn't automatically follow the target, you have to place the seeker over the target and then press uncage. What you're describing as behaviour without the HMD is actually behaviour WITH the radar - you're locking the target with radar and then that auto-slaves the 9X to your target. The HMD doesn't use the radar (yet?), so there's no auto-slave. The only difference between using the HMD and not using the HMD is that instead of pressing uncage when you put the seeker over a target, now you have to hold it.

Yes it's normal - but you're describing two different things by the way. If you select AIM-9Xs with the radar and HMD off, the seeker doesn't automatically follow the target, you have to place the seeker over the target and then press uncage. What you're describing as behaviour without the HMD is actually behaviour WITH the radar - you're locking the target with radar and then that auto-slaves the 9X to your target. The HMD doesn't use the radar (yet?), so there's no auto-slave. The only difference between using the HMD and not using the HMD is that instead of pressing uncage when you put the seeker over a target, now you have to hold it.

I forgot to put that into my question, I meant to say when locking with radar and having the missile autoslave. Thanks for the reply and confirming my findings

Tested it yesterday and actually it work with other missiles too. Of course it is designed to assist with 9X with it's huge tracking angle.

9M did have some assist to aim slightly above or left/right side but with 9X it is really awesome tool. Flew into dogfight with 4 MiG-29 and managed to shoot 3 of them down immediately and 1 got damaged hard. Really awesome tool. Happy it has been released so fast so I can feel even more like a true modern pilot in VR. Unfortunetly that render on the right eye only thing makes it less usefull for some people. Personally I don't have problem but still more and more people are complaining about it.

I hope when IR Mavs will be released they will add also an option to aim with JHCMS.

I'll join the choir of ppl praising the HMD with VR. Super intuitive to use, awesome functionality and just pure awesomeness all around.

What feels weird and what does introduce head-aches (due to right eye being very strained) for me is the focal plane where the reticle is rendered, which is basically like a foot to basically the distance from your eyes to the UFC whatever that might be :)

It might be true to how it is IRL, I wouldn't know ... but if it could be rendered a bit further out or even in infinity I feel the eye-strain would lessen quite a bit, at least for me. As of now I only have it on right when I "have" to use it and not a second more.

What feels weird and what does introduce head-aches (due to right eye being very strained) for me is the focal plane where the reticle is rendered, which is basically like a foot to basically the distance from your eyes to the UFC whatever that might be :)

It might be true to how it is IRL, I wouldn't know ... but if it could be rendered a bit further out or even in infinity I feel the eye-strain would lessen quite a bit, at least for me. As of now I only have it on right when I "have" to use it and not a second more.

Thing is, it's not possible to adjust "focal point" of something in VR, as there is only one focal plane for everything as I explained here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3681531&postcount=6

That's why it feels weird.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

JHMCS looks great, but I’ll echo questions about positioning. For those of us without VR, the default cockpit view has the hud pretty high which puts the HMD below if and as such it doesn’t blank out when looking “straight ahead” maybe I need to tweak my default view so it’s angled up a little, just need to make sure DDIs stay in view.

EDIT: That was easier to fix than I thought. Center view now puts my HMD cross on the lower part of the HUD. Can still see plenty of panel too.

Edited by Subferro

is there a detailed tutorial on the HMD somewhere? I have looked but cant find anything other than a short silent video from Wags which seems to have MDI options I dont have

Hi,

Perhaps

DCS: F/A-18C Hornet | JHMCS & AIM-9X Tutorial! | Day & Night

And see Matt Wagner's comment

"... 2- press and HOLD the cage/uncage button to best self track the seeker"

We are looking to make it an option within the Hornet's Special tab.

Awesome To hear that Wags. Will make a lot of people happy! :D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Just had my first go with this and WOW, what a combat multiplier. Like having a missile firing turret bolted to the top of my aircraft!! Also provides much better SA when looking off centre. I especially like being able to see my speed at all times when in a hard turning fight. Brilliant.

Front view projection also seems to be a tad low for me too. When looking sraight ahead through the HUD it seems to be projecting about the UFC.

Great work ED. :thumbup:

Anyone think HMD is projected too low?

A bit more information would be useful. VR or flat screen? Resolution? Are you using any mods such as the neck position mod? All highly relevant if you want to find a solution.

Have you tried adjusting the in-cockpit viewpoint? It may be that you need to move your eyes lower rather than the JHMCS being incorrectly projected.

Question for those who've used the DCS JHMCS / 9X.

If you select a 9X from pylon 1, uncage it on a target so the 9X seeker starts tracking. What happens when you switch to pylon 2? Does the 9X on pylon 1 automatically cage and stop tracking the target? Or does it continue to track it?

What I really want to know if its possible to get multiple 9X's tracking separate targets prior to entering the weapons engagement zone. So that I can instantly pop off two or more 9X's without having to find or fix targets WVR.

• ED Team
I hope they’ll give us an option to do both eyes. I have weak right eye and it’s give me a headache after few minutes gonna leave it off for now

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3682270&postcount=44

I can't say for sure as I haven't checked it out yet, but if you're having a problem with feeling like you're looking down your nose at the HMD cue, this has been a problem since LOMAC, maybe before.

The files have changed locations over the years, but I think its currently in the saved games/DCS/Config/View/Snapview.lua

For each aircraft you are looking for the '[13] = {--default view' line, and you need to change the vAngle = 0

This will center the circle for the Su/Mig, and I would imagine solve the problem in the F18.

I could be wrong but if you are using VR you might need to edit '[14] = {--default view - VR'.

Again, each aircraft has their own section of snapviews. Obviously you can edit all those values to change other things too.

Edit : Example, here is my FA-18C entries;

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 65.124352,--FOV

hAngle = -0.972351,

vAngle = -6.687011,

x_trans = 0.094611,

y_trans = 0.000037,

z_trans = -0.003403,

rollAngle = -0.000000,

},

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 63.000000,--FOV