Mk 83 Retard bomb on the Harrier

Kula66

Given the latest craze of bombing bridges, I've noticed that Mk 82s don't seem to drop the span as reliably. The Mk 83s however seem to drop them every time; however, there doesn't seem to be a Mk 83 with a retard kit so I end up getting fragged fairly regularly - does one exist in RL??

There's no high drag mk-83 that I'm aware of. I haven't dropped a bridge in a while, but what if you ripple 4 82's down the bridge? Honestly for a bridge I think you would use a GBU 16 anyway. If you're high and fast enough you should be able to throw a GBU-16 about 7 or 8 miles I believe. You would have to have some SEAD still though.

You're dropping them too low.

Yes, indeed ... but higher I get hit by SAMs etc. Just wondering there was a retard version that would help, but if not, then its either a toss or try higher, 500' seems to be better.

I assume that DCS uses some damage point system for structures like bridges ... and a pair of Mk82s just isn't enough.

Edited by Kula66

Works a treat with the big GBUs ... I just think that in a high threat environment, a low fast lay down pass is more realistic. Here is the scenario if anyone fancies a go :)

Very basic, you just have to take out as many bridges as possible - marked as WP2 -WP8 - they get harder and you will need multiple trips.

In a high threat environment you would have a SEAD flight take out SAMs first.

Indeed ... hence the SAMs in that scenario are SA-2/3 in limited numbers. Either you go low and fast or dodge a few SAMs first and then us LGBs while they're reloading. As you said earlier, you can CCRP lob an LGB from quite a few miles away and turn away while still marking the target - provided the clouds don't get in the way ;)

Mk83s with BSU-85 retard kits do exist. They have been seen on Hornets in the 1991 Gulf War. I put up a request for them in the Hornet Wishlist, so hopefully we will get them in the future.

Against SA-2s you can pop up about 2nm from the target with about 30 degrees offset, 30 degrees nose up, start your pull-down at 3,000' AGL (cresting at about 4,500' AGL) with a 4G pull down to the target, 25 degree dive, drop slick Mk83s by 2,500' AGL, then get back on the deck. You'll probably get an SA-2 singer right when you pickle.

Edited by Nealius

Mk83s with BSU-85 retard kits do exist. They have been seen on Hornets in the 1991 Gulf War. I put up a request for them in the Hornet Wishlist, so hopefully we will get them in the future.

Against SA-2s you can pop up about 2nm from the target, 30 degrees nose up, start your pull-down at 3,000' AGL (cresting at about 4,500' AGL) with a 4G pull down to the target, 25 degree dive, drop slick Mk83s by 2,500' AGL, then get back on the deck. You'll probably get an SA-2 singer right when you pickle.

Sorry but MK83s wearing a BSU-85 prefers the term aerodynamically challenged, retarded is too explosive of a term.. :thumbup:

Rift CV1: i-7 8700 RTX 2070 16GB 3200mhz win10. M.2 128gb GB Z390 Aurous Master. warthog stick on Gunfighter Base

Sorry but MK83s wearing a BSU-85 prefers the term aerodynamically challenged, retarded is too explosive of a term.. :thumbup:

LOL good one !

:lol::lol::lol:

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !