Decided to buy the F5

CybrSlydr

I don't think anyone who has spent any time in the F5 would ever call it overpowered, but GA comparisons might be selling it a little short haha. I would ask what your weight/drag index was in that climb, however, and why you needed to go so slow?

Oh I was just horsing around. I think I was low on fuel so staying out of burner, doing T&G’s, which you don’t do irl in a F-5 anyway. It was literally my first flight in 18 months, certainly longer since I’ve referenced the -1, but I know she needs at least 250 kts to be even marginally happy.

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

The airplane is nice but it is dedicated to the AA and much less to the AG where it is very deficient, no dedicated avionics, no HUDs, etc ..

:thumbup:

Well, i´m wondering why it has only two Sidewinders if it´s a fighter in first place... It has way more possible AG-ordnance than AA...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

... and Im hoping we have F-105 Thunderchief one day :)

Reading threads like this makes me wanna hop back into F-5. I bought it while back but Viggen & Mig-15 have been more interesting to me. I think it's the lack of story driven campaign thats F-5 seems to be missing - or is there something you can recommend?

You can try out this mini campaign with 6 missions here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=203468 i really enjoyed it sofar.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

I'm with you though - I would LOVE to have a Tornado module with Terrain Following Radar. Set it to 100ft, get some retarded bombs and just blast over a target at 500kts at night. Wheeeeeeeeee!!! (Especially if they could implement the JP223 for airbase strikes.

After the F-16, I think the Tornado would be my #2 want.

The PC police are on their way. You used the banned R word. Today freefall bombs are prohibited to be referred as 'r-word'. The allowed descriptors are;

-Freefall bombs

-Non-precision munitions

-Target accuracy challenged is OK.

Otherwise, a developmentally deficient individuals may be offended and triggered to believe that 'r-word' plurality like themselves may be thrown out aircraft in flight. No one should have to live with fear of being thrown out of aircraft in flight. It is a human rights issue. Using 'r-word' anywhere for any reason violates human rights of developmentally deficient individuals. Thus it is forbidden.

The PC police are on their way. You used the banned R word. Today freefall bombs are prohibited to be referred as 'r-word'. The allowed descriptors are;

-Freefall bombs

-Non-precision munitions

Otherwise, a developmentally deficient individuals may be offended and triggered to believe that 'r-word' plurality like themselves may be thrown out aircraft in flight. No one should have to live with fear of being thrown out of aircraft in flight. It is a human rights issue. Using 'r-word' anywhere for any reason violates human rights of developmentally deficient individuals. Thus it is forbidden.

then I guesss said PC individuals shouldnt play the Hornet or else theyl get triggered. :D

See? Hornet has RET ( short for retarded) option for the Mk82 Snakeyes within its stores programming options.

FF ( freefall) will make Mk82 SNakeyes, drop like standard Mk82 without fins deployed. RET ( retarded) mode will deploy the FINS for the extra drag.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

...and you can practice carrier landings as well:

A) you arent the first to land F5 on a carrier

B) why "practice" when you have actual carrier based aircraft like the F/A18 and soon to be added F14 tomcat? Practicing carrier landings on an aircraft that was never meant for carrier landings doesn't make sense ( there are no official SOP from manuals because of this) such "skills" wont carry over to those other 2 aircraft that handle entirely differently but are actually made for it.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Played around with it last night doing some ground attack. Man, you forget how nice CCIP/CCRP are until you fly this plane.

Has a pretty respectable A/G loadout - but I still wish it had two more missiles.

Taken plenty of damage flying it so far - had a couple engines go out and blew a few tires landing thus far.

And it's just a dead-gorgeous plane - always loved the lines of the F5.

Excellent choice...good primer for the Turkey.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

-Freefall bombs

-Non-precision munitions

Retarded bomb is not the opposite of "smart" bomb.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

B) why "practice" when you have actual carrier based aircraft like the F/A18 and soon to be added F14 tomcat? Practicing carrier landings on an aircraft that was never meant for carrier landings doesn't make sense ( there are no official SOP from manuals because of this) such "skills" wont carry over to those other 2 aircraft that handle entirely differently but are actually made for it.

Any DCS aircraft capable of carrier landing will help to build the right skills. F5 is an ideal trainer in that respect, it has everything you need - the hook, AOA indexer, great avionics. And most importantly - it has no HUD indication, so it forces you to learn avionics and apply visual orientation. It is much harder to land, but once you master it transitioning to the hornet will be a song.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

If you need some parameters to drop your bombs, I did some videos to remember my self how to release different bomb types.

In the video description you find all info.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Any DCS aircraft capable of carrier landing will help to build the right skills. F5 is an ideal trainer in that respect, it has everything you need - the hook, AOA indexer, great avionics. And most importantly - it has no HUD indication, so it forces you to learn avionics and apply visual orientation. It is much harder to land, but once you master it transitioning to the hornet will be a song.

The whole point of trainers is to have a student pilots fly under the backseat instructor, and not waste a multi million dollar front line fighter if they do crash. Here the exact is opposite for the f5. Even if there was a version for carrier ops that could take the landing it would be worse for student pilots. Carrier training would be done with an fa18d.

In a virtual environment this isnt the case. You can screw up as much as you want. And if you are $$ conscious might as well just buy the aircraft you a actually want like the hornet.

I flew the f5 long before the hornet. I never practiced carrier landings And idid not struggle learning that aspect in the hornet. Even if I did not much would be applicable because of how the aircraft handles. And because there is no official manual written for carrier approaches.

The way the f5 handles is in no way comparative to how a f18 does. For a carrier approach.

You have to land it much faster and much lower desert rate than you do in a hornet. Again unlike the f18 you cant use official manual for specific case approaches. This is basically something that can be quantifiable taught via textbook

Since non exist for the f5 you learn by trail and error, and not by any quantifiable documentation. There is no book written on the f5 carrier landings. Because it's not a carrier plane.

So if you want to proclaim skill with unrealistic antics that would otherwise break the aircraft landing gear irl so be it. Dont tru try misguided people into buying an f5 for carrier operations.

A far better trainer for carrier ops is the su33. You can get an entire fc3 pack in the process in terms of pricing.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Carrier training would be done with an fa18d.

Hey, relax. It is not about specs, right or wrong. It's about squeezing a maximum out of the module, and expanding your skill set. I'm not saying you have to struggle with the hornet if has not flown the F5 :), but one would definitely gain some extra skill and confidence when landing in the tough conditions. I will try to land my sofa if it has a hook, who cares. Folks train refueling up side down, not a problem. At the end of the day, if I fly F5 online without enough of the fuel to get back home I have an option to land on a carrier (assuming one is around). It is advantage.

By the way, you can land F5 without going fast and low if you empty the tanks and zero rounds. I could do around 150 knots. In the vid I posted I have too much weight (fuel, ext tank, ammo, flares etc) therefore had to go fast.

Hey, relax. It is not about specs, right or wrong. It's about squeezing a maximum out of the module, and expanding your skill set. I'm not saying you have to struggle with the hornet if has not flown the F5 :), but one would definitely gain some extra skill and confidence when landing in the tough conditions. I will try to land my sofa if it has a hook, who cares. Folks train refueling up side down, not a problem. At the end of the day, if I fly F5 online without enough of the fuel to get back home I have an option to land on a carrier (assuming one is around). It is advantage.

By the way, you can land F5 without going fast and low if you empty the tanks and zero rounds. I could do around 150 knots. In the vid I posted I have too much weight (fuel, ext tank, ammo, flares etc) therefore had to go fast.

You can practice anything you wish but don't give wrong advises to new people like:

"Any DCS aircraft capable of carrier landing will help to build the right skills. F5 is an ideal trainer in that respect,"

F-5 is anything but ideal for carrier landing practice as it is not a carrier capable aircraft.

If one want to learn carrier landings with F/A-18 then the IDEAL trainer is.....F/A-18 and nothing else.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You can practice anything you wish

F-5 is anything but ideal for carrier landing practice as it is not a carrier capable aircraft.

If one want to learn carrier landings with F/A-18 then the IDEAL trainer is.....F/A-18 and nothing else.

You better practice reading my friend first, I never said "If one want to learn carrier landings with F/A-18 then the IDEAL trainer is F5".

Also, please learn the aviation history a bit. F5 was originally proposed as a carrier capable aircraft, and even though that requirement was removed at a later development stage the F5 kept that capability. The arresting hook and a AOA indexer stayed as a part of that implementation. Even more, there was a two seat version developed as a trainer.

As for beginners - I would stay away from FA-18 until you learn proper instruments/avionics, otherwise you become a HUD monkey.

You better practice reading my friend first, I never said "If one want to learn carrier landings with F/A-18 then the IDEAL trainer is F5".

Also, please learn the aviation history a bit. F5 was originally proposed as a carrier capable aircraft, and even though that requirement was removed at a later development stage the F5 kept that capability. The arresting hook and a AOA indexer stayed as a part of that implementation. Even more, there was a two seat version developed as a trainer.

As for beginners - I would stay away from FA-18 until you learn proper instruments/avionics, otherwise you become a HUD monkey.

F16 has AOA indexer and a tail hook? is it carrier capable. No.

the tailhook is there for emergency landings on actual airfields, or for securing an aircraft for

maintenance engine testing

AN AOA indexer isn't exclusive for carrier based aircraft, its a useful nice to have aid for landing in general.

and 2 seat trainer, IE F5F? Yea just about every single seat combat aircraft has a 2 seat "trainer version" that pilots fly before completing training and getting an official assignment to thier own aircraft within a squadron.

IE F-16B/D, or F/A18B/D. are combat trainers of thier single seat counterparts.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

As Kev2go already said: The hook is not for carrier landings, but for use with emergency arresting systems on land based airfields. They are used throughout NATO and pretty much all NATO fighters are equipped with hooks AFAIK. Here in Germany the Tornado as well as the Eurofighter are also equipped with tailhooks for that very purpose. That doesn't enable them to land on carriers though...

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ive never seen an F5 with navy markings ever and I grew up outside an NAS training base .I may be mistaken but I believe its always been a air force bird but I like its so much I may buy this module.............

Ive never seen an F5 with navy markings ever and I grew up outside an NAS training base .I may be mistaken but I believe its always been a air force bird but I like its so much I may buy this module.............

The F-5 has never been operated from carriers (the airframe and landing gear won't withstand catapult launches or arrested landings), but the US Navy and Marine Corps do use them as aggressor/adversary aircraft since they simulate the aerodynamics of the MiG-21 so well. They won't look like typical Navy birds, but instead sport camouflage liveries akin to those on Russian, Chinese, or Iranian fighters.

Edited by Chuck_Henry