Building a player base for WW2

mblackham

Just my 2 cents worth:

We are trying really hard to build a player base for the WW2 multiplayer scene. Running events, running social media.

A big stumbling block is the asset pack. the units are great and it really adds to the immersion but if these units are included in a multiplayer server a lot of potential curious flyers can't take part. They just won't spend $30 on a pack of units for something they will maybe only dip into occasionally.

If it was up to me, I'd make it something like $12 - it IS worth more for those of us who love the warbirds but bringing the price point down to help the warbird online community grow could be a boon.

I've found it really difficult to use Asset Pack in any scenarios, because there's a few people that just don't have them and the backlash on mods or anything not vanilla is really out there and stopping full use of the tools. I look at the bunkers and really want to use them and the other pieces in other eras. But I can't. Building a server base or even a community, as per the title, is really hard and you have to attract people on the edge of joining in from a rather small local pool. The asset pack for me personally is the greatest unused part of DCSW DLC. I've no regrets supporting it or the decision, just I can't use it and I hope ED can find a way that can get more use from it. I don't neccessarily think a price drop will even help. What about bundling it with the A-8 to give a boost?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

well if somebody is willing to spend 80 dollars on a single aircraft, i would wager that the asset pack is a simple buy. It is what it is buy it and join servers that use it, dont buy it and fly servers without it...

1st world problems

• Like 1

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

+1.

In fact I'd go as far as to say it should be available to see and destroy on servers, just like how I can see the MiG-21 being flown on MP without having actually purchased it, but when it comes to having to place the units in singleplayer yourself, THAT is where you need to buy the pack to use it.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

+1.

In fact I'd go as far as to say it should be available to see and destroy on servers, just like how I can see the MiG-21 being flown on MP without having actually purchased it, but when it comes to having to place the units in singleplayer yourself, THAT is where you need to buy the pack to use it.

Seconded. MP should be excluded from this.

Sent from my OP6

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

I totally agree. The WWII assets pack adds so much immersion to all WWII szenarios. There are more WWII planes in the making right now, and ED is working on extending the ammount of units included in the assets pack. Like german WWII bombers or C-47 for the US-forces.

I really like the idea of making it possible to see all the units in MP without having the need to own the pack. If i remember correctly the WWII assets pack is the only Add-on i know that is build like that.

• Like 1

+1.

+1

Same with maps.

The increase in players will pay for itself.

I'll go one further and suggest that if there is going to be a 'Flying Legends' pack of WW2 FC-level flyables then two (one Allied one Axis) should be free to play.

+1

Same with maps.

The increase in players will pay for itself.

I'll go one further and suggest that if there is going to be a 'Flying Legends' pack of WW2 FC-level flyables then two (one Allied one Axis) should be free to play.

Personally I would prefer that there are no Flaming Cliff level WWII. That's why I play DCS, and not other "sims".

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The WWII asset pack access could be available and free of charge to everyone joining a multiplayer server (at least for the Normandy map).

Maybe such a feature could be made available to us once the dedicated servers are released.

That way the WWII online community could grow more easily.

Purchasing the asset pack would still be a requirement if you want to play single player, missions, campaign or host a server/dedicated server.

+1.

that is actually a nice solution to be honest... I'm not sure how doable it is but yeah... what you suggest makes sense.

K

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Adding to what I said, the decrease in price would draw people over from another WWII themed game. The (rather good) deal you get with one single purchase is what keeps some people in that game/“sim” for the WWII shenanigans. Doing this with the asset pack would be another competitive step.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Asset Pack should be free. I have it and I am not sure I didn't received it as a bonus for pledging for WW2 planes etc.

I understand that work needs to be paid but there are more than one way to skin a rabbit.

As far as I see it is just a pay wall few pass it so the player base suffers and then module sales suffers more.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

DCS WW2 is largely a WIP (no German voiceovers yet, no attack AC available etc.) and this, I feel, still limits its growth somewhat. Regardless, the existing aircraft modules are top notch and both the Mossie and the P-47 will definitely generate much interest, so I think we're getting there - slowly but surely.

The thing is, there're lots of WW2-themed flying games and/or survey sims out there, but they're all either arcadish or shallow, or both. So what do you do if you yearn for realism and fully modelled machines? Why, you board the DCS WW2 train, of course. That the train isn't yet up to speed is an inconvenience, true, but things are progressing regardless - just see my sig and 9L's comments about the upcoming DM.

TL/DR: Cups you say? Well mine is definitely half full even if yours isn't. Out ;)

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.