Thoughts so far about the Dora

flare2000x

It's hard to fly!

Well, lets change that to hard to dogfight. Engine management is a breeze, and the thing climbs like a beast, as long as you have some speed to begin with. MW-50 can run for quite a while, and you can really feel the power in that Jumo engine.

Now on to combat. You can not turn with the P-51. The only way to get at it is to extend away to altitude and dive back on him. I am finding the EZ42 quite hard to use, and mostly just waiting until I get close and hoping for the best. It does work well for turning deflection shots, but any other shot is very hard to aim. The bullets from the MG-151 and the MG 131 both lose energy very fast, and you have to compensate with a lot of lead. This, combined with the DM problems where bullets don't do enough damage make shooting down the 51 very difficult. When manoeuvring in the Dora, it seems to spin fairly easily, so keep that in mind. It is very easy to recover though.

TL; DR: Boom and zoom is effective, don't turn with the Mustang, and guns are hard to aim.

flare

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

You actually can turn with the P-51, provided you lose some fuel- Load up with 50% fuel and you're good to go.

And if he gets on your tail, remember, you have the roll advantage. Try to keep the speed at 400km/h and you can out-roll him at will. Roll to one side, turn a bit, then inverted 180 roll and change direction. He can't follow that.

I've had some fights with the AI, and he hasn't outmanoeuvred me yet.

FW 190 Dora performance charts:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=128354

You actually can turn with the P-51, provided you lose some fuel- Load up with 50% fuel and you're good to go.

And if he gets on your tail, remember, you have the roll advantage. Try to keep the speed at 400km/h and you can out-roll him at will. Roll to one side, turn a bit, then inverted 180 roll and change direction. He can't follow that.

I've had some fights with the AI, and he hasn't outmanoeuvred me yet.

I just managed to kill the 'Stang in a turnfight. I used scissors and a few times I extended away but still in the same plane as him. the AI P-51 was trying to out-climb me at low altitudes though . . don't know why he did that.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5