DCS Warthog HOTAS Profiles by Polaris & Schnix

Version 9.5 update

- Ka-50 zoom view input reversal fix.

- UH-1H throttle switch Up and Down directions.

- UH-1H cleared slew control from camera vertical and horizontal views.

- FW-190D pedal brakes reversal fix.

- Added a blank graphical layout.

- Custom Controls updated to latest DCS version 1.2.16.

jgVplRQ.png

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CJS,

"The included instruction text could be more informative" - what exactly do you find lacking?

Briefly, For me....

Copy existing DCS/Config somewhere safe ... etc... For restore purposes if necessary... .

"Save input file to…C:\Users\Owner\Saved Games\DCS\Config...Replace existing Input file with current...." does not achieve anything.

Within DCS main screen / options / controls / aircraft / You need to load each profile separately, jostick... Throttle etc... And these can be done by pointing the load file prompt to the extraction directory... even this procedure can be confusing, see previous post this thread PimpFinger... Loading profiles can not be done from the control section if the control options has been called whilst in an aircraft...

To revert, you can reload your original profiles if you have stored them.

Incidentally I never used the load / save profile features until I had a look at your files and had to work it out. Never had a need, used old school copy config folder instead... And I’ve been tinkering at computers since the original sinclair!

A pdf installation doc illustrating each stage with a few screen shots and BIG red arrows would help those perhaps not so experienced... Again there is an offer if you want it.

29/3 addendum:

Emphasise that curves are automatically included in some axes within the profiles or better still publish them with the curves set to default / straight. If you use an extension to the WH like me then curves are generally not necessary. I made the assumption that they were straight from the instructional text and only dug a little deeper when I noticed that the flying characteristic had changed. Again just my view...

Kind Regards

Chris

Edited by CJS

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to work on controller profiles

I've had DCS A-10C since beta, then with DCS World (latest) and just purchased the modules Flamming Cliffs 3 as well as Combined Arms. One thing in common as always been no easy way to work out and standardize my controllers with all the modes (game, Sim, general, etc) and now modules with their modes. I have the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (orig combo) with the Hofmann SIMPED F-16 USB rudder pedals. All work great with DCS A-10C once the rudder pedals are configured in game config properly.

However upgrading to latest DCS World wiped out (luckily I backup stuff before upgrading) and caused me to manually make the required changes in the user interface since copying the profiles from my backup failed to get the controllers to work properly. Then these new modules (Aircraft, etc) and now frustration increases knowing the workload to get all of this setup for my controllers.

Is there a tool to edit the appropriate files? (current user interface for controllers is different than the previous) Is there a way to copy one mode to another and/or one module's controllers to another module's controllers, etc?

I downloaded and installed the DCS Warthog HOTAS Profiles by Polaris & Schnix Ver 9.5 and they seem to be active but this time copying my SIMPED F-16 USB rudder into the appropriate directories sort of worked but the profiles are not working as designed or ??? ie: Move the throttle and it also moves the in-game rudder. Profiles show rudder assigned in Throttle's profile (F15 for example) Getting these profiles to work on my system is a separate and maybe I missed or misinterpreted a step in your instructions.

However using your profiles is separate from the overarching issue of lack of easy of use and increase in potential user population (read sales/profit) if setting up controllers was easier and more straight forward in this simulator.

I know the modules are different since their planes have less, more, and/or different controls, but there are many common and standard controls that could be representing the same physical controls (buttons, switches, axises, etc) on my HOTAS & rudder pedals. Your efforts are incredible and I thank you greatly allowing me to see the light at the end of my tunnel - I just need to discover/resolve the mistake I made. The real issue is that no one should have to do all that you did and you or community will need to maintain and augment with new modules and even new controllers, etc.

There has to be a better way to accomplish this. I don't mind the user interface if I just need to tweak a setting or two, but more than that and/or more than one mode let alone multiple modules and it's a daunting task and it should be easy.

Thanks,

Hawkwind

Oops...took me too long to come here so I ask for your forgiveness :)

CJS,

When I started this project my intention was, and still is, to help new comers but not to hand feed them...meaning...one should invest time and effort in reading the manuals and learn them.

Still, I find that your remarks are to the point and some explanations are not clear enough.

If you shall be kind enough to make a PDF manual with pictures and taking it step by step I would appreciate reviewing it with you and adding it to the package.

As for the curves...the curves I'm using are quite minimal due to the extension and the current pedals I use.

If that is not clear enough I shall emphasize it in the next update.

As for making them straight...I use a very small curve of 5 in all my modules for the HOTAS, a different curve for the Mig-21 as per the manual's advice and different minimal pedal curves for different modules (choppers, WW II, jets).

So...I just give what I use.

Hawkwind,

I think the problem you have comes from the fact that you didn't clear all your input categories (stick, throttle and pedals) before loading the new inputs.

Do try that and get back to me if that helps.

As for the current state of how the sim's input works...

This thread came to life following an argument discussing how difficult it is to learn the logistics of DCS and to operate them, and, especially how hard it is on new comers.

I found that thread to be counterproductive...while not disagreeing with what was written.

It's ED's sim and we can ask them to make changes.

It is up to them to implement what they sim fit.

Now, we can get angry when we don't get what we want and either leave...or...stay and make it better.

For us and for others.

So...in short...I thank you deeply for your appreciation of the work done and I hope that you figure out the problem you have with the inputs.

As for me...I shall be content if new comers shall find it much easier to come into DCS and stay through the help of this thread and others' help.

As for the more seasoned members...I'm truly glad you find it helpful (again, to my utmost surprise) and if you could help in making the inputs even more professional and accurate through advices here I shall be appreciative.

Polaris

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

After reading the entire Instructions.txt in the RAR file, I then really carefully followed step by step both 1 and 2. (I stopped there since I wasn't going to touch the curves just yet and for 1b modifiers I only did A-10a, A-10C, A-10C_easy (easy which the game added that folder but has nothing in its joystick folder), F-15, and the "Default" folder. Was there something I missed? All of the above (exept "easy") have for example the MFG Crosswind file and the Simped file I manually copied into each of these folders.

Before starting I renamed Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input to Saved Games\DCS\Config\HOLD_Input then copied the extracted Input folder from the 9.5 to the Config folder then followed your other steps including the JSGME. Folder layout looks correct with the your Input folder under config then I did the in game modifier step 1b, then step 2 a&b JSGME.

Is there a sequence of when to start the game besides starting it before doing step 1b

Anything I need to do with "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\Input"

Cause I haven't touched that folder

In case it helps in determining whats wrong, in F15C the mouse is only a look mouse with the wheel camera zoom but I can't click on anything in the cockpit - no mouse cursor like in A-10C. Found Left-Alt-C now I get cursor but nothing is clickable? Maybe this is as designed in F15C in FC3 nd I just don't know, so maybe ignore this and help on other controller issues.

Edited by Hawkwind

Hawkwind,

First a simple explanation of how DCS stores your personal inputs nowadays...

Each time you assign a new command, wether it be to a joystick, throttle, or any other controller, DCS stores it in a new difference lua file, for the specific module you're dealing with, in the saved games DCS input folder.

This file has only the difference from the original lua stored for that module and which contains all the original assignments made by the module builder. A file we don't touch.

What you find in the downloaded package are all of my inputs from the saved games DCS config folder, which contain the difference luas for the modules I published.

Now that this is explained...what you actually do is not break each module's difference lua into small bits, but:

1. Go into your saved games folder and delete or extract or backup your (for example) F-15C folder which is in the saved games DCS config input folder...and...replace it with the one you downloaded.

The whole F-15C folder from within the downloaded input folder.

Another way at it, if you're beginning from scratch, is to replace your whole input folder, within your saved games, with the input folder you downloaded.

2. Open DCS and within its settings clear the current F-15C categories' assignments and load the new ones from the C disk's saved games folder (again, from within DCS input settings).

As for clicking FC3 cockpits...it's still a dream mate ;)

Hope it helps

Polaris

jgVplRQ.png

Thanks mate !

When this project started it was meant to be a starting point from where it shall be easier for users to go on their way into separate modules.

As more and more modules were added our, and the community's, appetite grew ;)

We would very much like to do all other modules in DCS...but...we lack the knowledge and experience in order to make professional profiles for them.

Each profile already made has countless hours of flying with and after extensive research and personal knowledge concerning each aircraft and aircraft's system.

There might be another way at it...and we shall check it out.

We would love to give the community a full set of profiles for all current and future modules and we hope we shall manage it...

Polaris

• Like 1

jgVplRQ.png

Ok - that's new but I think I remember seeing smaller files and replace/delete lines in that files after I entered my control settings)

So, after I backup the config's input folder, I will "blow it away" and extract yours as its complete replacement.

Then I'll do your step 2 from below.

Since it's a "difference" file, I'll look to see if my Simped file that I was coping into the folders is a difference type file. If it is, then it will show replacement (delete) lines since pitch and roll for example are not controlled by the rudder and the default settings once the Simped was discovered by the new DCS World software was a standard joystick with usual axis controls. If not, I'll modify "in game" the simped and save it as a profile. Then I should be able to add that simped file to input folders that don't have this file - like everyone you provided (which is expected). I should be in great shape at that point.

Thanks again for your time!!!

Hawkwind

Hawkwind,

First a simple explanation of how DCS stores your personal inputs nowadays...

Each time you assign a new command, wether it be to a joystick, throttle, or any other controller, DCS stores it in a new difference lua file, for the specific module you're dealing with, in the saved games DCS input folder.

This file has only the difference from the original lua stored for that module and which contains all the original assignments made by the module builder. A file we don't touch.

What you find in the downloaded package are all of my inputs from the saved games DCS config folder, which contain the difference luas for the modules I published.

Now that this is explained...what you actually do is not break each module's difference lua into small bits, but:

1. Go into your saved games folder and delete or extract or backup your (for example) F-15C folder which is in the saved games DCS config input folder...and...replace it with the one you downloaded.

The whole F-15C folder from within the downloaded input folder.

Another way at it, if you're beginning from scratch, is to replace your whole input folder, within your saved games, with the input folder you downloaded.

2. Open DCS and within its settings clear the current F-15C categories' assignments and load the new ones from the C disk's saved games folder (again, from within DCS input settings).

As for clicking FC3 cockpits...it's still a dream mate ;)

Hope it helps

Polaris

• 4 weeks later...

As for those guys who are strugling withe "Lever + DMS Up" as TrackIR Center etc.

I have made a little Autohotkey-Script to realise.

All you have to do is to set "Ctrl+NumpadMinus" as Center within TrackIR

and "PageUp" as Pause.....

If someone uses Voiceattack and wants to react on the Mic-Switch never mind.

Its already implemented on the default Keys.....

Regards

tm.rar

Edited by Quax456

My Rig: Windows 11 Pro, Intel i7-13700k@5.4GHz, 64GB DDR5 5200 RAM, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Elite AX, 1TB Samsung EVO 970, RTX4080, Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG + Saitek Pro Flight Pedals, LG 32" 4K 60FPS, ACER 30" 4K 60FPS GSync Display, HP Reverb G2 V2

Oydoron,

I have seen this phenomenon happen once with someone who has a Saitek x-55.

Different dates and two of each for each controller.

That's about all that I can say about it for I don't know the implications...other than to assume that it shouldn't be that way..

Best of luck mate ...

jgVplRQ.png

i had this happen to me.. didnt think it was related but i had previously had the X52 pro

What i did was take my original hex number from my TM WH, then went to all the folders and deleted them with the hex numbers for MY joystuck and throttle.

I then coppied all of the .lua files from the this profile over and went thought and renamed them with my original hex number. This seemed to work perfectly.

I still had to update the modifer for each aircraft profile, but otherwise it all seemed to work for me

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Every single profile is made only after extensive knowledge and experience with its module.

Without the help of those who publish newer modules it's more than a challenge...

Therefore, the package shall remain as is basically with most modules covered and a base to build upon.

Sorry for I tried but couldn't succeed.

jgVplRQ.png

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused on the custom controls for the FW190 as this is the first time I am using custom controls. I think I understand the reason for them but I do not understand how to set them up in the controls.

for example flaps

the regular commands for flaps are

"F" Flaps Landing Flight Control "LCtrl - F" Flaps Take Off Flight Control "LShift - F" Flaps Up Flight Control

and you have 2 more controls that are not defined in the keyboard

Alternate Flaps Landing middle Flight Control Alternate Flaps Up middle Flight Control.

lSo my question is -how do you put this all together for the flaps to work properly. Do use for example RALt F for Alternate Flaps Landing middle?

Thanks

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Let's start with the logic of custom controls.

The way most switches in most modules are programmed (except for the Hog and the KA-50) is:

Switch is turned on (up) > a circuit is closed > electricity > a acommand is registered which can be assigned to a switch.

Regular commands don't/ aren't programmed to register/ recognize a switch down action/ state.

EG when electricity is switched off.

If the programmer made a few states for a certain cockpit switch one can use a certain state as up and in the same line add a down command/ state.

In short:

Pre change: a switch has to be toggled (up for on and then down and agian up fir off).

2 way switch: up for on and down for off (added a down state in the mod).

Now we come to the 3 way switch.

It has a forward position, a middle position and an aft position.

You can look at it as 2 switches joined in the middle: forward is up 1 and middle is off and aft is up 2 and again middle is off.

So...I made two commands:

Forward middle: you assign the flaps fully retracted.

Aft middle: you assign the flaps landing position.

In both cases it is programmed within the mod that moving the switch to the middle position (from either forward or from aft) to put flaps at stage 2.

I hope it makes sense :)

I could show you a simple picture with my actual DCS settings but I rather you understand the logic and hense continue to use the idea as you see fit in other planes as you wish.

Edited by POLARIS1

jgVplRQ.png

• 3 weeks later...

warthog

Is this Hotas really that good? Just asking cause I have a chance to get 1 for $320 ...but I am using a Saitek x52 Pro at the moment and it works great...is it worth upgrading to if I buy the a10c Hotas? any feedback would be great!!!!

I own all DCS mods ...except the trainer ac....looking to get a controller that will work for all. Thanks

Is this Hotas really that good? Just asking cause I have a chance to get 1 for $320 ...but I am using a Saitek x52 Pro at the moment and it works great...is it worth upgrading to if I buy the a10c Hotas? any feedback would be great!!!!

I own all DCS mods ...except the trainer ac....looking to get a controller that will work for all. Thanks

Yes, it is that good.

Intel i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz w/ H70 liquid cooler, ASRock PRO3-M Z68 Mobo, 32G 1600Mhz Mushkin RAM, EVGA GTX970 4GB , OCZ Agility 3 128g SSD, SanDisk 240g SSD, Win7 64-bit

--Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/livingfood --

Yes, it is that good.

Agreed.

If you are a serious DCS simmer you will thank yourself for doing it.

I had the x52 pro for a while and went though the exact same "is it really worth it" and "what i have works pretty good".

The TM WH is an amazing jump up for the DCS world line up, obviously more so if the A-10C is something you really enjoy.

That said, if DCS is a part time thing, in that much of your other gaming time is spent in other sims or games you may find yourself back to the X52 from what i have heard from others.. i personally have not.

The X52 gives a few more options with pure buttons for various other games, but overall the TH WH is better is pretty much every aspect. Just make sure you have rudder pedals, as some don't realize that the WH, being a realistic mock up, doesn't have a rudder twist function, so you have to have pedals.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals