Detecting IR Missiles

Teriander

How do you detect incoming enemy IR Missiles? I can detect Radar missiles fine, but IR Missiles there is ZERO warning.

I never see them being launched at me and I only know they are there after they hit me. Any suggestions?

That's the advantage of passive missiles! For the person launching anyway.

Some aircraft like the A-10 can detect the IR signature of a launch and warn you, but the hornet doesn't have such a system.

The only way to detect them is to constantly look around and hope you see the smoke trail.

Good luck!

Some aircraft like the A-10 can detect the IR signature of a launch and warn you, but the hornet doesn't have such a system.

The only way to detect them is to constantly look around and hope you see the smoke trail.

Good luck!

Well there's definitely an AI advantage there. Unless the MIGs can detect incoming IR missiles? When I shoot an AIM-9 at a MIG, he knows. He flares every time. Even if Im out of his line of sight such as bottom rear. He'll flare.

I'm surprised the real hornet doesn't have this type of detection capabilities. What about other real world US fighters? F-15? F-16? F-22? etc.

I'm surprised the real hornet doesn't have this type of detection capabilities. What about other real world US fighters? F-15? F-16? F-22? etc.

Most aircraft do not have this. F-15SA seem too have IR detectors ( sensors under the WSO cockpit, on the sides) and Some F-16 (specifically Danish F-16AM with modified special pylons with sensors) All others and F-22 have non.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The lack of an IR detector in the FA-18C does make this aircraft vulnerable in this area. Looking around for smoke trail of missile is a game of chance considering most times missile is launch behind you.

I have been surprisingly hit when just flying around enemy territory without knowing I have been shot at.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Meh, the IR detectors aren't that great anyway. If your flying over a battlefield ( especially with Russian armor ), there's missiles flying everywhere and your MWS is just constantly going off. You don't know if they're firing at you or someone else.

The way I do it, is have labels turned on so you can see the missile departing the craft, or as some guy said above, look for the burn and smoke trail. IR missiles are short range, so you can usually at least see a thin smoke trail. I think their motors usually burn for about 10 seconds.

Meh, the IR detectors aren't that great anyway. If your flying over a battlefield ( especially with Russian armor ), there's missiles flying everywhere and your MWS is just constantly going off. You don't know if they're firing at you or someone else.

If you're in an F-18 flying low in range of "Russian armor" and missiles are flying everywhere, you should dump some flares regardless if they're fired at you or not. Especially after a bomb run.

My concern is dog fighting, at 20,000ft for example. God knows if an IR detector is going off and I nor my wingman didn't fire, it's time to dump some flares. But without this system, I have to figure out if that smoke trail in the distance from an enemy flaring from my missile or one is coming at me.

On my monitor by the time I see it, its too late. I also do no want to turn on decals because it kills realism for me.

Bottom line, does the real F-18C have the ability to detect IR missiles at all? I'm really surprised if it doesn't.

My concern is dog fighting, at 20,000ft for example. God knows if an IR detector is going off and I nor my wingman didn't fire, it's time to dump some flares. But without this system, I have to figure out if that smoke trail in the distance from an enemy flaring from my missile or one is coming at me.

On my monitor by the time I see it, its too late. I also do no want to turn on decals because it kills realism for me.

Bottom line, does the real F-18C have the ability to detect IR missiles at all? I'm really surprised if it doesn't.

In a dogfight you should have eyes on the enemy. You will see him launching.

If he is in a spot you can't see it's the job of your wingman to watch you and call breaks.

The best way to mitigate that problem is to not get yourself into that spot, where the enemy has a good launch probability... which of course is easier said than done.

I still forget to spoil the enemy's lock with flares, most of the time. That prevents him getting a lock in the first place...

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

When I shoot an AIM-9 at a MIG, he knows. He flares every time. Even if Im out of his line of sight such as bottom rear. He'll flare.

Probably worth pointing out for the OP that the AI is in no way a realistic indicator of an aircraft's combat capabilities. It essentially has total situational awareness. Try evading an AI by flying through valleys and you will fail pretty much every time as they always know where you are, try it against other players in MP and you have a much, much better chance.

I'm fairly sure ED stated at some point that when they get around to doing the AI revamp they'll attempt to make it more 'human'.. give it more realistic response times, etc.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

RL MWS can look at the LOS-rate to determine whether or not a missile is guiding on you or not.

Head on a swivel, preemptive flare release, and get in and out quickly (think element of surprise) is important keys of surviving an IR missile WEZ. It is much easier in a CO-OP MP environment, especially in groups where you're in direct communication with your wingman. Wingman should be covering the other wingmans 6.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

RL MWS can look at the LOS-rate to determine whether or not a missile is guiding on you or not.

That could be an aspect. If the missile is flying a pursuit course however, that could complicate things.

Edited by Blaze1

Good luck!

It does? I've been flying the A-10 all this time and not getting warnings from IR missiles. It's what sucks about flying over an unknown manpad. All you get is a thump and your trying to figure out why your computer's just turned off and half your plane is missing.

AI cheat in every game. Not a surprise.
Note that nobody is preventing you from dropping flares either, when you suspect an enemy with IR missiles is around and you lost sight... it is a pre-emptive move to spoil a possible lock.

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VPForce Rhino Base & VIRPIL T50 CM2 Stick on 200mm curved extension | VIRPIL T50 CM2 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)