Need community advice on ant elevation axis with current throttles

Hi all,

I currently have a CH pro throttle and ch fighterstick. I have been looking all over and cannot find any acceptable throttle that contains a rotary or lever analog axis for controlling antenna elevation that is on the throttle itself. I understand that the warthog hotas does have an off throttle handle solution but this is more of a workaround and while I really do like the look of this stick and throttle I have serious reservations about the mini stick or Cooley switch for the TDC. I've also consider the Mongoose throttle however it does not currently contain an analog mini stick and is therefore out of the equation. I'm eagerly awaiting the vkb throttle but that appears to be at least a year out.

So my question to the community is can anybody come up with any good ideas for how to add my own antenna axis to my CH pro throttle or is there a retail solution out there? What are others doing for the radar antenna axis?

Thank you!

Jonathan

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5800x - Fclk@1800mhz, Mother Board: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula, GPU: 1x 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, RAM: 2x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600mhz CL14 (B-Die), SSDs(NVME): 1X Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, SSDs(SATA): 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, HDDs: 2x WD 750GB HD in raid 1, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W T2, Monitor(Main): Acer Predator XB271HU (144hz IPS), Monitor(2ndary): Benq XL2420T(120hz TN), OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit

Need community advice on ant elevation axis with current throttles

Hi all,

I currently have a CH pro throttle and ch fighterstick. I have been looking all over and cannot find any acceptable throttle that contains a rotary or lever analog axis for controlling antenna elevation that is on the throttle itself. I understand that the warthog hotas does have an off throttle handle solution but this is more of a workaround and while I really do like the look of this stick and throttle I have serious reservations about the mini stick or Cooley switch for the TDC. I've also consider the Mongoose throttle however it does not currently contain an analog mini stick and is therefore out of the equation. I'm eagerly awaiting the vkb throttle but that appears to be at least a year out.

So my question to the community is can anybody come up with any good ideas for how to add my own antenna axis to my CH pro throttle or is there a retail solution out there? What are others doing for the radar antenna axis?

Thank you!

Jonathan

Well the thrustmaster throttle that came with my t1600 has a pinky rotary on the throttle, a mini-stick axis, and a rocker that could all be used (I use the pinky rotary)

Oh- and my old saitek x52 throttle does as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick reply! I have heard the TWCS throttle has stickness issues. What is your opinion on that side of things? Is the pinky wheel hard to move at all?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5800x - Fclk@1800mhz, Mother Board: Asus Crosshair VIII Formula, GPU: 1x 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, RAM: 2x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600mhz CL14 (B-Die), SSDs(NVME): 1X Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, SSDs(SATA): 1x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, 1x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, HDDs: 2x WD 750GB HD in raid 1, Sound: Creative Sound Blaster ZXR, PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W T2, Monitor(Main): Acer Predator XB271HU (144hz IPS), Monitor(2ndary): Benq XL2420T(120hz TN), OS: Windows 10 pro 64bit

Thank you for the quick reply! I have heard the TWCS throttle has stickness issues. What is your opinion on that side of things? Is the pinky wheel hard to move at all?

I don’t have much of a problem with the throttle. Yes it’s not quite as smooth as some (but it’s fairly cheap)- but I do have a problem with the rudders that came with it. The rotary is fine and not too hard to turn. Easily done with a little pressure from your pinky finger and very smooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the CH Pro as well . I find the ministick works well as a TDC controller , although i map another button for "designate" -trying to press the ministick without moving the cursor doesn't work very well for me ! Regarding the radar elevation control , i have it mapped to buttons instead of an axis . I once had an X52 and found all the auxiliary axes to be usless due to poor pots/jitter .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Cougar TQS have two analog rotaries and mini-stick analog.

Work as standalone throttle with TUSBA adapter or DIY (e.g. Arduino+MMjoy2).

Since you already have a PRO throttle with relatively good mini-stick - probable best available in throttles, with just don't DIY ad a pinky rotarie for Radar Elevation, using a cheap (~$6) Arduino?

Sample:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_076a.html

Cougar TQS have two analog rotaries and mini-stick analog.

Work as standalone throttle with TUSBA adapter or DIY (e.g. Arduino+MMjoy2).

Since you already have a PRO throttle with relatively good mini-stick - probable best available in throttles, with just don't DIY ad a pinky rotarie for Radar Elevation, using a cheap (~$6) Arduino?

Sample:

http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_076a.html

Sokol1,

Thank you very much! Is there That mod is precisely what I was looking for. I could be blind but I don't see a part list for that mod. Do you happen to know what knobs and pots they are using?

Does anyone here have any experience with the :Logitech X56 throttle?

Edited by Mathieas

You need a USB controller - e.g. Arduino with joystick code, ready to use Bu0836, DSD 12... or like the guy use one removed for another CH controller - an expensive option, anyway the more cheap CH donor is FlightStick.

One (can use up to 8 ) pot of 10 to 50K, B type, with 270º of course or less (difficult to find) form good brands like Alps, Bourns, Spectrol... or even cheap from eBay.

An good size know - look in eBay plenty of options.

Optionally can add more buttons or switches in throttle, wired in this new controller.

Your throttle became two "joystick" for Windows and games, and if want can combine both in an virtual device with Joystick Gremlin.

Sokol,

Thank you again for the info. What do you think of the Pro Micro - 5V/16MHz for the controller? If there a better small form factor arduino? Do you feel any of the already setup joystick controllers would do a better job?

Regards,

Jonathan

Arduino PRO Micro (ATMEGA32u4) 5v is very small and compatible with MMjoy2 firmware (developed by MegaMOZG, VirPil electronics "guru"), an cheap ($6) option for USB controller.

See topic about in this forum.

There's no much reason in buy a stick for use their USB controller - in case of CH, is a "vintage" (1999) model. Is OK use one if have laying around or find one used cheap.

Wonderful ty! Please forgive my ignorance. I know some but not a lot about this. I really appreciate all of your time and expertise.

What do you think of these pots?

https://www.amazon.com/Potentiometers-50K-Ohm-15A-Taper/dp/B00M2904IU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1544057789&sr=8-9&keywords=alps+potentiometer+50k

https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a14101100ux0248-Terminal-Single-Potentiometer/dp/B016UFFZEY/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1544058478&sr=8-8&keywords=50k+potentiometer

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DS88933/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07DS88933&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f0dedbe2-13c8-4136-a746-4398ed93cf0f&pd_rd_wg=8Bzi7&pf_rd_r=TN4HXYCZ1X11254PW29V&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=jIecO&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=ceeac84b-f8f1-11e8-9f5d-7d3a3dd11bb9

Also i see they have a single nut on the shaft to mount.... would you have any expertise in how to get these cleanly mounted in the handle? I was figuring i would use my Dremal rotary tool and cut openings and sand down... but wasn't sure how to secure the pot other then bolt it to the reassembled handle.