[RESOLVED] Auto wing sweep not working under G's

Hummingbird

Run into what looks like either a graphics or FM issue where the wings won't sweep aft or forward past 4.5 G's. Now as far as I recall there was no defined G limit where the wing sweep operation would stop, only a mention that sweep rate would decrease with increases in G's.

However, as mentioned, atm the ingame F-14's automatic wing sweep does not function at G loads over 4.5 G's, where'as the real thing was able to maintain a sweep rate of 4 deg/sec at 7.5 G's.

Infact being able to maintain a sweep rate under heavy G loads was one of the key advantages the F-14 had over all other variable sweep wing designs.

The effect of lacking this capability ingame is that you're not getting the performance you should be getting in dogfights, as the wing does not gradually sweep to improve your L/D ratio as speed decreases during your turns and instead remains locked for as long as you're pulling over 4.5 G's.

F-14 designer about the wing sweeping mechanism [starts 13 min 47 sec]:

SsUCixAeZ0A?t=826

j76WmPy.png

EDIT: For clarity I better specified the issue and added video & documentation here on post #1.

Edited by IronMike
clarity

My problem is that Auto Sweep doesn't seem to work even when I select Auto Sweep and it shows on the indicator as Auto Sweep. She doesn't sweep, Captain!!!

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

Yesterday, my pilot buddy had no trouble with the auto sweep.

But then we switched pilot/RIO slots, and I had the same issues than you. While "Auto" was displayed under the HUD, the wing wouldn't sweep. I tried to manually override the sweep during flight putting the sweep handle full aft then full forward then auto, but it didn't get any better. We took it as an aircraft failure, and I had to land.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Yesterday, my pilot buddy had no trouble with the auto sweep.

But then we switched pilot/RIO slots, and I had the same issues than you. While "Auto" was displayed under the HUD, the wing wouldn't sweep. I tried to manually override the sweep during flight putting the sweep handle full aft then full forward then auto, but it didn't get any better. We took it as an aircraft failure, and I had to land.

To return to the normal mode of operation, the wing sweep handle should be set into the desired position and pressed down (Right clicked) followed by closing the emergency wing sweep cover. The MASTER RESET button in front of the manual wing sweep handle should then be pressed and the wing-sweep system set to the same position as the handle. The servo will then drive to the commanded position and re-engage the handle to the spider detent, resuming normal operation.

Edited by Mike Busutil

Not the problem I'm seeing though. Haven't touched the manual sweep controls, just left it in auto. Yet the wings wont sweep when pulling more than 4 to 4.5 G's, which is quite odd as the F-14's sweeping mechanism is supposed to work under heavy G's, being capable of 4 deg/sec at 7.5 G's.

I have problems with auto wingsweep with auto start,

after a master reset hack i managed to move the wing sweep to the triangle, but

after takeoff in slow speed auto setting fully sweep back the wings, after flaps up.

Auto doesn't follow my speed changes after a long flight.

I must override wing sweep.

edit: solve: must use the wing sweep button of the throttle to switch auto

Edited by discwalker

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

The problem is there even on in flight starts.

Easiest way to test it is to perform a high G sustained turn (without AB so that you can loose speed in the process) and then observe wether the wings move as your speed drops whilst you keep turning - atm they don't until G's fall below 4-4.5, which can't be right as the F-14 is supposed to have a sweep rate at accelerations as high as 7.5 G's.

In short the wing sweep operation of the F-14 ingame seems to be somehow locked past ~4 G's, a limitation that should only be present in the manual energency sweep mode, and in that case I believe it was even up to the pilot himself to make sure that he was at that G or below. In auto mode however the wing sweep operation would continue to function past 7.5 G's, and probably wouldn't stall until around 9 G's.

Edited by Hummingbird

you guys are pressing Master Reset after touching the yellow wing angle handle?

the auto dysfunction issue can persist even after the initial fix. if you notice the wings not sweeping, the first thing you should check is the auto flag, if that is present and you still have a desync, immediately look at the idiot lights, if "wingsweep" or other idiot lights are present, hit the master reset and master caution.

This fixes it every time.

the auto dysfunction issue can persist even after the initial fix. if you notice the wings not sweeping, the first thing you should check is the auto flag, if that is present and you still have a desync, immediately look at the idiot lights, if "wingsweep" or other idiot lights are present, hit the master reset and master caution.

This fixes it every time.

But have you tried conducting a sustained turn where you start at a speed where the wings are swept back, and then during the turn the wings start sweeping forward as speed reduces? (remember to keep G's high)

I'm asking as I can't achieve this, the wings only start automatically sweeping forward as I level out. Hence the auto sweep function seems to be locking itself under G loads over 4 or so G's, which it shouldn't, the sweep rate on the real bird being 4 deg/sec at 7.5 G's even.

For me auto wing sweep does not work unless I switch to bomb mode and then back to auto. then it functions properly

Owned Modules: F-18, F-16, F-14, AV-8B, A-10c, Huey, Hip, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 15, Mig 19, Mig 21, FC3, P-51, BF-109, C-101, L-39, F-5, YAK-52

PC Specs- 8700k at 5.1GHz on Asrock z370 Fata1ity k6, EVGA 1080ti SSC2, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1TB NVMe m.2 Drive for DCS with a 500gb NVMe M.2 boot drive, Oculus Rift S

I've also hd it that Bomb Mode commanded like 68° of sweep instead of 55 unless you got slow and the wings were swept forward of 55°, then bomb mode worked.
The programmer work does this.. if you set to bomb mode and you are faster than the preprogrammed channels (3 of them) which is dependent on altitude and Mach. It will automatically sweep the wings aft as per the schedule. If you reach the conditions for 55 sweep and slower then and only then you will the wings return to this setting to be locked at 55.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean, and I don't have access to that particular paper.

However the F-14 was capable of maintaining a sweep rate of 4 deg/sec at 7.5 G's, i.e. the automatic sweep didn't stall until somewhere well past this point.

Ingame however the system stalls already at 4.5 G's.

[Critical FM error] No wing sweep function past 4.5 G

Been trying to cause awareness on this issue, however since there's been no response for 4 days now I guess the thread titles weren't really highlighting the issue properly or something, so here we go again.

Atm the F-14's automatic wing sweep does not function at G loads over 4.5 G's, where'as the real thing was able to maintain a sweep rate of 4 deg/sec at 7.5 G's.

Infact being able to maintain a sweep rate under heavy G loads was one of the key advantages the F-14 had over all other variable sweep wing designs.

The effect of lacking this capability ingame is that you're not getting the performance you should be getting in dogfights, as the wing does not gradually sweep to improve your L/D ratio as speed decreases during your turns and instead remains locked for as long as you're pulling over 4.5 G's.

F-14 designer about the wing sweeping mechanism [starts 13 min 47 sec]:

SsUCixAeZ0A?t=826

j76WmPy.png

PS: Apologies again for being so persistent about this so soon, but it is a very big error that is affecting how the airplane flies atm. Hopefully the devs will respond and better yet fix this issue soon.

Edited by Hummingbird