Blackout Incorrectly Modelled?

Krupi

Yesterday I was reading a book by Brian Kingcome where he describes using blackouts to push the limit of his aircraft and avoid the guy getting on his tail, he states that he could still keep control of the aircraft... why is it modelled like you have passed out and yet still hear the engine sounds in DCS?

By the sounds of it you should be able to retain control of the aircraft?

Is it that there is a kind of sweet spot before losing control and blacking out completely?

Edited by Krupi

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

:shocking:

I fly the 109. And you can't black out .Plus you don't even need to aim because you can shoot everybody down with fireballs from your eyes .

I'm not posting a smily because this is actually true.

I KNEW IT!

But they might as well have with that 30mm cannon, it is a beast!

Project IX Cockpit

I fly the 109. And you can't black out .Plus you don't even need to aim because you can shoot everybody down with fireballs from your eyes .

I'm not posting a smily because this is actually true.

Totally true. 109 OP confirmed :megalol:

Yes blackout needs some work. Often incredibly sudden at times when it shouldn't be and sometimes it just jumps into a blackout without the stick even being moved.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

It does, but it's still at least a more complicated model than some other simulators. The modeling of the cardiovascular reflex seems overdone. It would be nice to see more color loss modeled, and A-LOC as mentioned by OP. Unfortunately, it's hard to model what g-induced light-loss looks like.

• ED Team
Totally true. 109 OP confirmed :megalol:

Yes blackout needs some work. Often incredibly sudden at times when it shouldn't be and sometimes it just jumps into a blackout without the stick even being moved.

If you read a professional written article about G-effects (any professional article has the diagram looking like vertical mirrored Г :) you will understand the reasons.

As a first step to this area: pull G keeping in mind that you have to achieve 4+ within 3-4 s, otherwise you will be in the black area unexpecting to you. AS you are starting the fight never pull maximal g form the start - let yourself to get angry enough... :)

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
Yesterday I was reading a book by Brian Kingcome where he describes using blackouts to push the limit of his aircraft and avoid the guy getting on his tail, he states that he could still keep control of the aircraft... why is it modelled like you have passed out and yet still hear the engine sounds in DCS?

By the sounds of it you should be able to retain control of the aircraft?

Is it that there is a kind of sweet spot before losing control and blacking out completely?

Edited by Yo-Yo

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I agree that it is a bit sudden in DCS. In real life it goes kinda grey and tunnelly first before going dark and you do still have control for the first bit of completely black. Now I have to confess I never went further than the initial full loss of vision the majority of times immediately reduced back stick pressure when things went grey it was training after all. Now the other aspect is you cant actually feel the g in DCS so that makes the quick onset of G loc even harder to mitigate. I wish the model went grey a little slower and that you still had control at the initial black maybe 3 seconds to recover and after that g-loc.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

the problem i could see, is that we are flying a simulation where we just cannot feel the g's. in real life you definitely feel 4g, and definitely even feel 2g. you have feedback of what you are doing to your body.

and yes, as Yo-Yo said, blackouts can surprise and can be really sudden...the problem is, we cannot feel it at all. so maybe, some kind of compromise is needed, or that these sudden "attacks" dont happen just as quickly as they do now, but maybe slightly slower.

its a problem of simulating the real thing, while the most important thing, the feedback is missing for us and always will...

Well, if you want to simulate a trained aviator, you want to simulate someone who knows how to handle G with maximum onset rate. The centrifuge(s) in the States simulate 6g per second, which is what Einherjer's video shows. With a G suit and training, onset of that rate for relatively short periods of air combat training is routine.

DCS should model:

- An average resting G tolerance of about 4-4.5 g.

- A g-suit that gives 1-1.5 g tolerance.

- AGSM technique that provides about 3-4 g of tolerance. Make allowances for fatigue over time.

- The effect of the cardiovascular reflex (give it about half a g, with a 2+ g penalty for push-pull effect.)

An onset rate of 6 g/sec should be no problem in this model, as a pilot properly trained starts his strain instinctively. If I were ED, I'd relax the current model, add color loss/stars in place of the basic black tunnel, model fatigue, and model the push-pull effect.

+1 Definitely

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I also noticed that total and sudden black out may occur when I release the stick.. which I found peculiar, at least.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

- A g-suit that gives 1-1.5 g tolerance.

Even in German WW2 fighters - which were the original subject of this treatise? I am aware of allied G suits, but I have never seen an axis one, have you?

Bear in mind that the phenomenon was not fully understood, and exercises to counter it not formulated at the time, then G should be treated entirely differently depending on technological progress.

For circa Korean war era pilots, G-suits and counteractive procedures are a bigger more effective factor. Prior to that, then it would be like the sound barrier itself - understood, but not properly overcome.

Also, a centrifuge cannot simulate the sudden onset of G, and G is not a measure of gravity over time, so what exactly does 6G per second actually mean? G is a measure of acceleration, and as such, represents distance per second per second, what exactly is distance per second per second per second?

Some of the videos of people passing out that you see in the back seat, it seems there not either really ready for it or expecting just how harsh it will be and how much work it is to stop yourself not passing out.

This would be a good workout.

M_NvfNA4SWU

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• ED Team
I also noticed that total and sudden black out may occur when I release the stick.. which I found peculiar, at least.

It's normal in RL :) the most impressive sleep desire was at the top the loop as I quit breathing for a while to make an experiment . :)

Well we do have the heavy breathing as sort of reminder that you are pulling quite a bit of Gs. Obviously this won't help if you jerk back on the stick like some sort of Hulk Hogan, but if you do that you better expect to be put to sleep. :lol:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

12g in a centrifuge, it was not on top that the guy blacks out but on the way back down from his 3rd run up to 12.2g

This one shows the difference between straining and not straining to counter act the g force, also you can see the graph of the how the g force is applied to the subject.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

So G-3 anti g suits only come about in 1944?

So no pilots had any type of anti g suits back then when fighting the war? This would lower the blackout threshold much I guess.

"If a force form 4 to 6 G is sustained for more than a few seconds, the resulting symptoms range from visual impairment to total blackout."

"The standard G-suit provides passive protection to about 5.5 +Gz."

Acceleration of Blackout in Fighter Pilots

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

blackout looks like that (been there, done that):

- first the periphreal vision starts to shrink, there are gray/red irregular spots at the edge of the vision (up to 4 G)

- if the +G load contiunes, the gray/red area starts to spread towards centre and vision starts to tunnel. (up to + 6 G)

- you can still controll the plane, one still has the more or less usable spatial awareness, but aiming becomes increasingly difficult

- pulling more G load tunnels the vision quickly (that starts from 6.5 G) and not necessarily black out ensues (in sense of loosing the consciousness).

all of the above limits are of course purely individual, depending on many factors, from physical fitness, health etc....

Even in German WW2 fighters - which were the original subject of this treatise? I am aware of allied G suits, but I have never seen an axis one, have you?

Sorry, no. I went a little off-topic then, naturally began thinking of modern fighters. I think, as you say, technique for AGSM was not so well understood and certainly not so well taught at the time. Somewhat lower numbers would be appropriate.

Also, a centrifuge cannot simulate the sudden onset of G, and G is not a measure of gravity over time, so what exactly does 6G per second actually mean? G is a measure of acceleration, and as such, represents distance per second per second, what exactly is distance per second per second per second?

It does, I've had the pleasure (pain?) of experiencing it. The onset rate of current centrifuges in US inventory is about 6 g per second. So... it takes 1.25 seconds for the centrifuge to reach 7.5 g, or 1.5 seconds to reach 9 g. Pretty fast.

Sorry, no. I went a little off-topic then, naturally began thinking of modern fighters. I think, as you say, technique for AGSM was not so well understood and certainly not so well taught at the time. Somewhat lower numbers would be appropriate.

It does, I've had the pleasure (pain?) of experiencing it. The onset rate of current centrifuges in US inventory is about 6 g per second. So... it takes 1.25 seconds for the centrifuge to reach 7.5 g, or 1.5 seconds to reach 9 g. Pretty fast.

Can you check other ww2 planes?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Do you mean give my opinion on what kind of numbers I would suggest for g tolerance in a historical WWII scenario? Same as before, but let's say we reduce the effectiveness of AGSM by 1 or 2 g. I would suggest a pilot be able to pull 5 g for about 10-15 seconds before vision begins to gray and fade around the edges.

Edited by aaron886