F-4U Corsair actually will fit into a theater without Japanese adversaries...

Jaktaz

Down low was where the Ki-84 really shined in terms of performance, the higher it went the more it lost out in terms of performance when compared with the american fighters.

On full boost the Ki-84 was capable of impressive speeds at low altitudes.

Actually no, Ki-84 supercharger was more optimized for medium altitudes with 2nd speed critical altitude being somewhere between 6200 to 6500 meters. With ram effect aircraft could reach top speeds up to 7000 meters and according to Japanese pilots up to 9000 meters their ride was capable.

On full boost at low altitudes aircraft wasn't going any faster than ~560 km/h.

How were Japanese pilots ever supposed to see the difference between a -1 and a -4 in the middle of combat? Not gonna happen.

Surly they wouldnt know, American pilots went as far to report fighting Tony while in fact they fought Zeros. And that's a hell of a difference. So confusion happens.

But if you would actually check what I've been referring to then you would learn it is a book based on Japanese and AMERICAN sources, especially since author was born in US, is US citizen and has access to US archives and publications. For every chapter and combat it is noted what aircraft did US forces operate.

Either way we're not getting F4U-4, but F4U-1d.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The Corsair would easily outturn the P-51, so I think the Corsair would be more akin to a 109 to be honest.

IMHO the F4U was USA's best fighter of the war, and one of the top 3 prop fighters of the war.

Don't think so. 266 kg/m^2 is not too impressive. The K-4 will likely still be better at low speed since it's lughter amd can turn tighter but at high speed the Corsair will be more manouvrebel.

Creator of the

Immersive Daimler Benz Soundmod

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Corsairs vs. Mustangs. Football War. Let's do it.

I just wanted to say just that. :thumbup:

We have the Mustang. We will have the Corsair. That's all it needs aircraft wise to simulate this war. So yeah, no need for japanese adversaries. :D

A fitting map would be nice though, but that probably won't happen.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Man all you guys moaning cuz this plane didn't go up against that plane who really cares. Get over it and be thankfully for what you get in this sim. I will buy all planes even if it's adversary isn't done yet. It's about flying the plane not what we shoot down.

• Like 1

Unfortunately wrong Corsair variant :(

I think that's a minor problem, but what's wrong with it? It's hard to find some good english sources on that war. :(

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't think so. 266 kg/m^2 is not too impressive. The K-4 will likely still be better at low speed since it's lughter amd can turn tighter but at high speed the Corsair will be more manouvrebel.

266 kg/m^2 ? Where in gods name did you get that number?

Loaded weight of the F4U-4 was 12,405 lbs (5,626 kg), and with a wing area of 29.17 m^2 that equals 192 kg/m^2.

Regardless of that the F4U-1 easily outturned the P-51B in comparative trials, and both aircraft suffered approx the same weight gain from F4U-1 to -4 (11,800-12,400) and P-51B to D (9,000-9,700).

Hence why I say the F4U-4 is more likely to turn closely to a Bf-109K-4 than a Dora or Mustang both of which it will easily outturn.

I just wanted to say just that. :thumbup:

We have the Mustang. We will have the Corsair. That's all it needs aircraft wise to simulate this war. So yeah, no need for japanese adversaries. :D

A fitting map would be nice though, but that probably won't happen.

Unfortunately wrong Corsair variant :(

I think that's a minor problem, but what's wrong with it? It's hard to find some good english sources on that war. sad.gif

Corsairs were the major fighters for both sides in this war. El-Salvador was using Goodyear built F4U-1Ds (FG-1s) alongside its Mustangs against Honduras more modern F4U-5 and F4U-4 equipped air force. However they were in a very bad shape, with their superchargers malfunctioning.

Never less an interesting setup with some nice paint schemes, but the scale of this conflict was that small that I don't think It would be worth any extra efforts to model it accurately in DCS.

I think that's a minor problem, but what's wrong with it? It's hard to find some good english sources on that war. :(

Not minor problem, they selected a WW2 variant, while a post war variant would have been in use in Korea, Vietnam, Soccer War... they differe in flight characteristics and weapons.

Regarding the war itself here in english a detailed account.

http://www.acig.info/CMS/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=88&Itemid=47

I know I would have loved this one, Hondurean F4U Corsair.

99205_zpssd7nnulq.jpg

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

I really don't mind much about aircraft balance and think even the F4U-1d will do just fine. If I'm not mistaken it should be faster than the P-51 down low and not shabby at high altitude, either. High speed manouvrebility is another advanatge over the 109. Overall I think it will be pretty much compareable to the Dora.

Not even close.

At sea level, the P-51D and the F4U-1D are about equal, ~366 MPH. At 20K feet the F4U-1D tops out at 417 MPH. The P-51D does 425. Then the mustang tops 440 MPH at 25k feet (where the corsair drops off). This is all with 1943 fuel on the 1943 P-51D. Things change with 150 octane fuel.

The K-4 does 375 MPH @ SL, and 444 MPH @ 20k feet. The 190D-9 does 385 MPH @ SL, 440 MPH @ 18.5k feet, and 420 MPH @ 28.5K feet.

That's not even counting climb speeds.

The F4U-1D doesn't bring parity to the situation. The F4U-4 would: 389MPH @SL, 435MPH @ 20k feet, and 455 MPH @ 26K feet. Like I've said elsewhere (and gotten punished for it), I'm not buying into an unbalanced situation. When the F4U-1D gets fair opponents like earlier versions of the 190 or 109, or Japanese Planes, I'll buy it. Or we get the F4U-4. But not until then.

Man all you guys moaning cuz this plane didn't go up against that plane who really cares. Get over it and be thankfully for what you get in this sim. I will buy all planes even if it's adversary isn't done yet. It's about flying the plane not what we shoot down.

I couldn't agree more mate!

My rig - I5 6600k @ 4.5 - Corsair H100i GTX - Maximus Hero viii - 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum ROG edition DDR4 3200mhz - Gigabyte 1080ti (Overclocked) - TM Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Rudder pedals - Oculus Rift CV1

Not even close.

...The F4U-1D doesn't bring parity to the situation. ...

I never sayed it did. What I sayed is that I think it can probably be able to hold it's own against both german fighters more or less and I don't think it's a definete "loser" like some may see it.

Anyway I didn't want to get into a performence discussion, but thx for the info.

Apart from that the Corsair has nice ground attack capebilities and if LN is working on new scenarios I'm sure it will fit fine somewhere.

Creator of the

Immersive Daimler Benz Soundmod

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]